Got an excellent new carry setup...

This is a discussion on Got an excellent new carry setup... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks to MP45Fan and JD, I have purchased over the last week what I consider to be an excellent carry setup. The Gun I am ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thanks to MP45Fan and JD, I have purchased over the last week what I consider to be an excellent carry setup.

The Gun
    I am lucky enough to live close to MP45Fan and while we were in the process messaging each other back and forth to setup a range day. He twisted my arm enough to convince me to go out and take a look at a Smith and Wesson M&P9 Compact which I had been drooling over at my local gun shops. Well last weekend, I happened into a gun shop that I had not visited before and in the case there was a M&P 9 Compact. Long story short after about a half hour of deliberation, it jumped out of the case and into my truck for the drive home.

My first scare came when I got home and my wife wanted to take a look at it. She held it for a half hour straight without letting it go. I was concerned that it wasn't MY new pistol as much as it was her new pistol (and she's not one to much care for playing with my guns).

This all happened on Saturday and I didn't get to play with the M&P much that weekend aside from pointing it at various objects in my back yard to work on sight picture. I have never had a gun that was so ergonomically fit for me. Luckily, I had arranged to meet MP45Fan and another friend out at the range Tuesday night.

After shooting my new purchase on Tuesday night, I was hooked. I guess I'm a Smith and Wesson fan for life now. The trigger of the M&P was the best I've ever felt on a polymer pistol. Recoil is almost non-existent on this gun and the size of the gun makes it ideal for concealed carry.

The Leather
    After getting home from the range, I knew I had to find a holster for this thing soon. This is where a piece of sage advice from our very own "super-moderator" JD came into my head and boy am I glad I listened to him. Since I carry my J frames almost exclusively in a Mika Pocket Holster or HBE COM III IWB. I knew I'd prefer the slightly larger M&P 9 Compact to be carried in a OWB holster. I have quickly become one of Eric Larson at HBE Leather's biggest fans. I immediately went to HBE's website and looked at OWB holsters. The problem was Eric only had Pancake and Belt Holster designs and I was really hoping for a holster I could snap on and snap off.

That is when the words from JD's post came into my head and made it all clear. JD once said that while HBE was more impressive for IWB designs he believed that UBG Leather had the advantage with OWB designs. I went to UBG's website and found his OWB Regulator. I was sold.

Now I don't normally believe in fate, but the next forum I visited after leaving UBG's website had a Black UBG Regulator New in Box for an S&W M&P9 Compact. It was too good to be true. I purchased the holster off of the member and had it in my mailbox on Friday (NO WAIT!!! Sorry Nate, I'll be ordering a mag pouch from you soon).

Nate's work is outstanding!!! This holster is superb and the boning is exactly what I expected out of HBE's rival . I've worn it for two days straight and it is great. I can conceal it with ease from under an un-tucked polo shirt. The only problem I encountered what that my normal gunbelt is a double thickness western style belt that has metal belt decorations and ropework on it. The snap loops of the regulator would not close around the belt being that it is so thick. I'm going to remedy that by purchasing a Liger Gun Belt this week as an alternative. Does anyone use this for their EDC belt?

So thanks go out to MP45Fan and JD from this forum for encouraging me to put together the perfect carry setup!

I don't want to disappoint anyone so to satisfy your gun drooling desires here are some pictures with my HBE leather thrown in for comparison.

The Pictures

Wreck'em Tech! Go Red Raiders!

I have the Signess!

Sig Sauer P225 Montage Suisse / Sig Sauer P238 / Sig Sauer P226 9mm CPO / S&W M&P9c

JD
    Administrator
    Very nice! Glad to have been of help.

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    that's a sweet setup and a damn nice gun! enjoy!!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

jfl
    VERY NICE !!!
    Congrats ! You can't really go wrong with S&W.
    Between my wife and me we have 4 S&W, wheelguns.
    Watch out for your wife, though ... I have lost a few guns that way
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Very nice. Congrats!
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Guess it was just meant to be. ENJOY. UBG makes great holsters.

I'm jealous.

Nice!! Enjoy it.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

VIP Member
    Very Nice. Congrats!
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by dignzepln View Post
    I'm jealous.
    That may be my next setup exactly!!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dignzepln View Post
    I'm jealous.
    Ditto!...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member
    Very nice setup, I have a UBG Shark Regulator for your J frame if you are intrested, it is just like new.

I know how you felt watching your wife hold your new M&P. I recently put a Crimson Trace laser on my compact 9 and she has shot it more than I have since the addition. If you want to keep yours, PLEASE do not add the CT laser..... By the way, I love my laser and it did get her to start shooting with me at the range. I do not think I will ever get her to carry, but at least she is shooting now...and she is GOOD.
    SA 1911 9mm, Ruger LCP, EMP9, M&P45, LWRC 6.8SCP

Semper Fi...

Great handgun choice. I love my 40c and Nate does good work.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I cant say im jealous, except for the holster. I recently picked up a S&W M&P 9C myself. The thing just feels right, period. Im gonna take her to the range this next Wednesday, along with my my SKS. Should be a fun day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links