CCW Advice Appreciated-S&W, Sig, SA, Kahr

This is a discussion on CCW Advice Appreciated-S&W, Sig, SA, Kahr within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'd like to start by thanking the good folks who share their time and wisdom with others here at DC. I've learned a lot about ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CCW Advice Appreciated-S&W, Sig, SA, Kahr

I'd like to start by thanking the good folks who share their time and wisdom with others here at DC. I've learned a lot about firearms and the quality of the folks who frequent this site as I've been reading it over the last few weeks.

Here's the matter on which I'd appreciate your advice/insights...

I'm looking to purchase a new CCW. I currently own a Ruger SP101 and a Sig P229. I'm looking for something that's a few ounces lighter and/or less bulky. My intent is to find a firearm that's (1) trustworthy, (2) acceptably powerful (minimum of 9mm), (3) easy enough to conceal that it's likely to be with me if I should ever need it, and (4) tolerant of being exposed to lots of salt/perspiration (this will be the firearm I'll take on my long bicycle rides). Price is not a major consideration as I'm rewarding myself for having made it to the ripe old age of 50. I'm also not necessarily looking for a firearm that I'll shoot a lot (I have my Sig for that), although I would certainly intend to shoot it enough to maintain a reasonable level of proficiency with it. The choices I've narrowed my purchase down to, after much research, are...

S&W M&P 9 compact
    S&W M&P 340
    SA XD 9 sub-compact
    Kahr K9094
    H&K P2000 SK

If anyone has a strong opinion about these options (positive or negative), I'd like to hear it. I'd particularly appreciate hearing from anyone who's had first-hand experience with more than one of the aforementioned firearms. Did you like one better than the other and, if so, why?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Kind regards,
    HBC

I think the 2 you already have are fine for CC. But since you mentioned something that is a few ounces lighter and from your list I would choose the XD9. I've shot this before and its a fine weapon for CC.

I just got my P239-9MM for my primary carry weapon and retired the P226 (too heavy for everyday CC) and have a S&W 642 as my BUG.
    ...T. Ray

Thanks for your reply. The XD9 is the pistol I know least about, but I'll definitely give it a closer look given your suggestion.
    HBC

From your list I have personal experience (owned and carried) with the XD9SC. I traded it for an XD45 and regret not keeping it. In fact, I am contemplating picking up another one myself.

The primary issue with XD's is that SA shot themselves in the foot by refusing to sell parts to most shops and smiths. They thought they could be like apple computer and make everyone go to them for service or upgrades. They've since come around, but you may not have much local support and you should consider that. I wouldn't expect anything on your XD to break, but if you shoot as often as I do, springs do get fatigued and it'll be nice to order a spring for a few bucks vs. mailing the gun back.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Distinguished Member
    The 340.

FL everyday. Don't get much more salt and sweat than that.

M&P9c. +10!
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    The Kahr K9 is an excellent weapon and of all you listed I "would" have picked that but it's as heavy as the SP101. Personally for yoiur application, I'd look at the kahr P9 (vs CW9) or the Kahr PM9. both are very light weight and easy to conceal but are a good caliber. If I was going to go with a revolver it would be an S&W 642 that you've had a trigger job done on and possibly added crimson trace laser gips to.

Interestingly enough, I also own a P229 and a SP101 and use both as CCW. Do you have trouble concealing them or is it just an issue of weight? With a good holster and belt either one of those make a fine CCW.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Sponsor
    I have the M&P40c (same frame/slide as the 9c) And love it for edc.
    Mine is one of the early models and I have not had any issues with it. The finish on mine has been abused and neglected and is still close to pristine.
    BTW I have well over 3k rounds down range.
    The few growing pains that the M&P semi autos experienced have been worked out by Smith. And don't forget that their customer service is first rate.

That being said, I have not heard anything about any of the items on your list that would make me think twice about them.

I must also second the notion that your Sig P229 is a fine carry piece.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Thanks to all for your replies. Per your question, CEW58, weight is the primary issue with my two current handguns (the SP101 and P229). FYI, I'm considering the Kahr because, while it's not much lighter than my SP101, it's less bulky, which is a consideration for me. Another FYI, I've always put my SP101 in a small fanny pack when I'm on bicycle rides (my primary intended scenario for application). That's how I'd envision carrying the new handgun.

Like Gideon said a Kahr P9 is an excellant choice. It is very slim and light. Very easy to carry concealed.

I have the MP compact in 40(same basic gun as the 9mm), its a great weapon and made in america. I also have a scandium j-frame that I really like. Either of those 2 would be excellent choices. The j-frame would the easier of the 2 to conceal.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CEW58 View Post
    Interestingly enough, I also own a P229 and a SP101 and use both as CCW. Do you have trouble concealing them or is it just an issue of weight? With a good holster and belt either one of those make a fine CCW.
    I agree. I can easily conceal my full size SA 1911 year round, and have recently swapped over to a H&K P7 again for year round carry.
    Save your money on the new firearm and buy a Gun Belt and Good IWB holster. You can have both for under 200.00 and they will last a long time. Money well spent. Prefer a full size weapon over a mini .380 or snub as they are easier to handle, more accurate and powerful. I'd stick with the SIG. One of the best and most reliable semi's ever made.

The gun in it's holster is much easier to access than a fanny pack and in a life or death situation I want my CCW readily available. I personally carry at the 4:30 to 5:00 position. If a thug has a knife I can pretend to be going for my wallet and have my P7 out as fast as the wallet. JMO
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Quote Originally Posted by hbc View Post
    Thanks to all for your replies. Per your question, CEW58, weight is the primary issue with my two current handguns (the SP101 and P229). FYI, I'm considering the Kahr because, while it's not much lighter than my SP101, it's less bulky, which is a consideration for me. Another FYI, I've always put my SP101 in a small fanny pack when I'm on bicycle rides (my primary intended scenario for application). That's how I'd envision carrying the new handgun.
    If you're using a fanny pack I can see why weight is such an issue. The reason I ask is that sometimes people object to weight because they are using a poor holster and a dress belt. I once tried to carry using a dress belt and a cheap holster once with my SP101 and it was terrible! Switched to a Crossbreeed Supertuck and a Beltman belt and it just seemed to just disappear!
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

I vote for the 340. Have the 340PD and love it. A bit lighter than the M&P and a dream to carry. The night sight on the M&P would most definitely be a plus. Can't go wrong with a S&W snub.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links