Defensive Carry banner

Sig Sauer 1911 feeding issues

25K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  Dr Guido 
#1 ·
I have a sig sauer 1911 stainless, That i recently got, and lately it has been having feeding problems. It is a nose up jam were the slide will almost close but not all the way. you have to bump the slide forward to close the slide and fully chamber the round. I have put maybe 250 rounds through it, oiled it, removed oil, used motor oil. but it does the same thing. I wouldn't feel comfortable using it as a defense gun anymore. Maybe the feeding ramp is to steep? I don't know.

Any suggestions would be greatly a appreciated. thanks.:confused:

#2 ·
Is it happening randomly or on the last couple of rounds. I had the problem with my Sig 1911 RCS, only happened on the last 2 rounds. Disassembled the mags and cleaned, reassembled and works like new now.

#3 ·
Try running a chamber brush in the chamber. This will help polish the chamber and may be hindering the bolt returning to battery. Also look at the bolt face and make sure its as clean and shiney as possible. Somtimes the feed ramp can be polished but you should have a qualified smith do this otherwise you may remove too much material and destroy that ramp.

#4 ·
New gun or a gun with a new mag?
Same problem I'm having with my new Kimber Pro Carry II.
The problem is the stiffness of the mag spring pushing the top round too high and not letting it angle properly to line up with the angle of the feed ramp.
Try loading one less round in the mag and see if your still having the problem. If that is the case keep the mags loaded at all times to keep some tension on the mag spring until it wears in, for now I load seven in the mag, chamber one, drop the mag and add another round for carrying.

#6 ·
I wasn't real impressed with the feeding on my friends Sig 1911. He spent way too much $$$ to be having problems. Problems evident on day one of ownership are still present. It has been into the gun store for a fluff & buff and a once over and they insist everything is in good order. Feed and extractor issues are commonplace. Probably 400+ rounds through the gun. Not exactly a confidence inspiring ownership experience. :smoke23:

#8 ·
Actually, your problem is a simple fix.

It's usually always the extractor.

The problem looks like the bullet won't feed into the barrel chamber but, in reality it's the rear of the cartridge that won't move up into the extractor.
Then when you "bump" the rear of the slide what you are doing is forcing the cartridge up into the extractor allowing the cartridge to chamber.

Clean your extractor. Check your extractor tension.

#9 ·
Ok thanks. I am running UMC remington ammo through it. I got a guy to loan me some wilson combat mags, and i'm going to shoot tomorrow. I polished the feed ramp and the top lip of the chamber this morning with a brush and some cloth, it was a little dirty. My bolt face is dirty so i'll go clean it and get a q-tip behind the extractor to ensure it is clean. It may be a dirty bolt face and extractor or feed ramp because it started doing this after about 300 rounds were put through the gun. Thank you for your help.

#10 ·
did you thoroughly clean the gun of all packing cosmoline, grease and oil before your first range trip? Did you field strip and clean it after every range trip during normal break in period? All of the factory type "goo" left on most firearms when shipped, will attract lots of carbon from powder residue and turn into a very sticky black abrasive paste in all the nooks and crannies of the bolt, chamber, breach face, extractor, etc. Sounds to me like a very throrough cleaning may be in order first.

#11 ·
Call SIG, send it back, and they will swap/tune the extractor. We did that with my g/f's GSR and it has run flawlessly since. Turnaround time was under a month and SIG paid shipping both ways.

#13 ·
I have a 1911 RCS with about 600 rounds through it. From the beginning it left the last round sitting on top of the magazine lips with the slide locked open. It did this with Wilson and Sig mags. I've read of a lot of these guns having problems with the last two or three rounds only.

Eventually I found that even the Wilson Mags required a fluff and buff of the magazine lips with 2000 grit sandpaper and also required being stuffed full and left that way for two months. After discarding the factory mags and sticking with the Wilsons (per the instructions of a sig employee who shall remain nameless) , I now have a perfectly working gun.

on the subject of removing the extractor...Don't try it. the pin looks as though it can be driven out with a properly sized punch. You can't do that. The pin is pressed in and must be removed at the factory. That's a shame for those who know how to properly polish one.

But the gun itself is great and I trust if for daily carry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.