GLOCK 36 Range Report

GLOCK 36 Range Report

This is a discussion on GLOCK 36 Range Report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well.... it's a GLOCK. It went bang every time I pulled the trigger. What else is there to say? Seriously though. I wasn't able to ...

Thread: GLOCK 36 Range Report

GLOCK 36 Range Report

Well.... it's a GLOCK. It went bang every time I pulled the trigger. What else is there to say?

Seriously though. I wasn't able to do a full test, but I was happy with what I did do. I stripped the gun last night, wiped away a bit of the grease with a paper towel, and that's about it. I only took one box of Winchester White Box Personal Defense ammo with me. They're 230 Grain JHP's. It's been about five months since I've fired a gun (I know - tragic!). I shot at fifty feet, standing with a traditional two-handed 3/4 stance. I only have two mags for it right now (everyone in town is out of stock). I topped off for the first mag of each pairing. I'm a bit rusty, and my groups were terrible, but I finally got back in the swing of things on the last mag. I pulled off a 3" group with one shot in the bullseye.

So, the gun is accurate - definitely more accurate than me right now. The key though, is recoil. This definitely is not a range gun. Recoil is manageable, and I was able to get the sights back on target quickly when I held the gun tightly - it's not a gun you can relax with. With a soft grip, the gun is very jumpy, and it really hits your hand hard. A firm grip takes care of that though. This is a gun that will never let you forget you're holding a .45.

Final results: 50 rounds on a 9 inch target at fifty feet. Zero failures.
    After all, it's a GLOCK.

It's my first GLOCK, and my first compact. It is very light, and easy to conceal, but it gives you the full power of a .45ACP. 6+1 in a form factor that is perfect even for summer carry.

It's been a long day, I don't feeling like taking pictures. I'll try and post some tomorrow if work doesn't get in the way.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

I bought mine used from a police officer......best gun I have ever owned in my opinion.
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Congrats on the 36! I think it's a great gun, so much so, that I was offered an opportunity to trade a safe queen for a 36, I jumped on it even though I already owned one.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Great Gun, I am sure that it won't be the only Glock that you will own!
    Current handguns: Glock models 19, 22C, 23, 27, 29, & 36; Kimber Pro CDP and Polymer Custom; Kahr PM9 & CW9; S&W models 6906, 386PD, 66; Taurus 85 Ultralite Ti; Browning Buckmark;

Former handguns: S&W 4"686, 4" 620 & Sigma .380, Taurus 617 Ti, Kimber Pro Eclipse, Walther P22, Glock 30 & 33.

Careful

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    Well.... it's a GLOCK. It went bang every time I pulled the trigger. What else is there to say?
    Final results: 50 rounds on a 9 inch target at fifty feet. Zero failures.
    After all, it's a GLOCK.

You really should be careful with this kind of thinking.

Sure Glocks are known for reliability, but they CAN and DO Fail and if you aren't ready for that failure in a self-defense situation it could cost you.

ALWAYS remember that no matter how reliable a firearm is reported to be or has been for you, no matter who made it, it's simply a mechanical device and can fail at any given time.

Like the saying goes 2 is 1 and 1 is none.

Now having said that, I will admit to the fact that the G36 is on my list of pistols to own, even though I'm not a Glock fan by even the widest stretch of the imagination.
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

Rotorflyr-

I know that GLOCKS can fail. I was kinda joking on the opening line. There have been a TON of range reports on GLOCKS, and they aren't that exciting. The only real difference between on GLOCK and the next is the caliber, frame size and barrel length, and they all seem to run the same the first time out. I carefully inspect all of my weapons to make sure they are in fighting form. Though the the GLOCK, as well as my XD's can function fine without lubrication, each one is properly lubed every couple of months, and after every cleaning.

Here is an interesting read on what a GLOCK can take, and what it takes to fail: http://www.theprepared.com/index.php...iew&id=90&Item

Granted, I won't be abusing mine like that, but it's a good read!

Going a bit off topic, do you actually own that Mateba in your Avatar? If so, how does it shoot?
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

been there, done that, got the t-shirt. got to love the g36. goes bang every time you pull the trigger. and is small to boot.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    Rotorflyr-

I know that GLOCKS can fail. I was kinda joking on the opening line.

Here is an interesting read on what a GLOCK can take, and what it takes to fail: Glock 21 Torture test - Theprepared.com

Going a bit off topic, do you actually own that Mateba in your Avatar? If so, how does it shoot?
    Exodus,
    Sorry, didn't mean for the post to come across like it was an attack on you, it's just that I see statement such as that posted all the time on gun boards and there are enough people out there who take them as gospel because they don't know any better, nor do they take the time to learn how to deal with issues that can (and do) pop up with ANY gun (and they don't always occur at on the range) which can get people killed.

Thanks for the link, I've seen/read that before, and yeah I wouldn't put any of my guns thru that either....but it is an interesting read for sure.

As for the Mateba, I wish it were mine, and do hope to own one at some point but there are more practical purchases I must make first (some even non firearm related! )

So for now it's just one of the things that will have to sit on my "wish list" until I either find the spare cash or win the lottery!

I have however heard they're a blast (no pun intended) to shoot!
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

I'd like to add a little to some comments here in regard to the kick and the G36 not being a "range gun".

Certainly it kicks but IMO the kick out of a G36 is surprisingly light for what it is. Bear in mind it is a 21oz .45. To me it shoots identical to my G23 .40 with Hydrashoks in it. My G23 is my baby and I love shooting it at the range.

In fact the complete manageability of the kick is what sold me on the G36. Now you get up to a no-BS load like a 230gr +P and the kick goes up a good bit but you aren't shooting that as your range ammo unless you have a money tree in your yard.

Drew,

to me, a day at the range is at least 300 rounds per handgun. My usual range gun (until ammo prices spiked) was my M&P .40. It's perceived recoil is about the same as a 9mm. I can burn 300 rounds in less than 20 minutes (though I don't always do it that fast - depends on what I'm training) without any soreness in my hand. That is a range gun to me. The 36 is completely manageable, but stings just a bit, even with a firm grip. I'm working on training that out. The other thing that takes it out of the range gun category is the 6 round mag. I wouldn't consider a gun for carry if the recoil wasn't manageable.

Perhaps I need to adjust my grip on the GLOCK. I know that a minor change in grip completely transformed my perceived recoil on my M&P.

I took my G 36 last week for the first time too. I liked it a lot and also need to practice! The availability of ammo was what shortened my trial session for me. I had a ton of 9mm, but .45 is hard to come by around here right now. I got lucky a few weeks ago and hit WM right after they stocked 9mm and got a bnunch. Now I am hoping for the same for .45.
    NRA, GOA, GRNC member
    "Both the oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms."
    - Aristotle

A little practice goes a long way. I took the 36 out this past weekend and put about thirty rounds into one ragged hole (about 2") at 7 yards. The rest of the box (twenty rounds) were about a 5" group in total (around the hole). Most of the flyers happened in the first few mags - I got a little too used to my .22 and forgot how to hold the .45!

I recently bought a Glock 36 as well with plans to carry it every day. I have only put 60 rounds through it but I love it so far.

Sponsored Links