Oh what to do

This is a discussion on Oh what to do within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My girlfriend is interested in getting a gun to keep at her apartment and or truck. I plan on taking her to the range to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oh what to do

Oh what to do

My girlfriend is interested in getting a gun to keep at her apartment and or truck. I plan on taking her to the range to fire a couple of my pistols. All Glocks and one 1911. I also plan on renting a couple of revolvers for her to shoot and use my buddies LCP.

This will probably start a war but I don't know what I should lean towards getting her an automatic or a revolver. I also know it should be her choice.

Any help with this issue would be great.
    In Hoc Signo Vinces

2. Remove Ads

I think you should expose her to as many guns as possible for her to try and let her pick.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Quote Originally Posted by boricua View Post
    I think you should expose her to as many guns as possible for her to try and let her pick.
    I second that.

A girl that drives a truck and carries... Thats hot!

I think you hit on the most important point, it should be her choice. But, if she is very new to guns, then I think I would steer her towards a revolver for her first gun. Simplicity of operation and they don't malfunction due to limp wristing.

Take her to the range and have some fun.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Start off light on caliber - I let my wife handle a Dirty Harry revolver once as a joke (she almost dropped it): I hate to think how she would have progressed in her journey had I let her fire one!

Once your girlfriend gets an idea of comparative kick and makes a preliminary decision of pistol vs. revolver, visiting a gun show is great in order to try on lots of different guns. It could be that her hands really like this one but not that one.

I'd say it's been pretty well covered, but I would add that as far as revolvers go, since this is intended to be a house/truck gun and not a carry piece you should look more at 4in-6in barrel lenghts over the snubbies.
    Personally I'd go with a 4 but thats just me and I'd also avoid the "airweight" type of guns until she is more comfortable shooting as the heavier gun will also absorb more (felt) recoil.
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

Find a .32 Magnum. Load it with .32 S&W Long ammo for her to try and to learn to shoot it. Load it with .32 Mag ammo for protection.

A .32 is the very minimum I would trust my life to if there is nothing else practical. The "War Dept" carries a .32 S&W Long, J frame with some pretty wicked handloads stuffed in it. She likes it and I aint gonna argue with her !--------And, I aint giving out the reciepe for the loads !

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    It must be her choice! Don't limit it to Glocks, please. I haven't found a Block, uhm Glock that fits my hand. Every Glock I have ever tried feels like a brick in my hand.
    Let her handle as many as she wants, before she even fires one. The way a gun fits her hand is the first step. If it doesn't feel right she won't like shooting it and won't be as accurate as she would with a gun that fits her hand.
    Is she a petite lady or taller/larger, dainty or athletic? Her physical strength will be part of determining what caliber she will feel comfortable shooting.
    Semi-auto or revolver is something she should decide on as well. Explain the differences and let her try both and see which she prefers.
    You might just be surprised at what she chooses and unless you can see that she is having trouble handling "her" choice let her decide.
    For me at 5'4" and 130 pounds most men are surprised that my carry gun is Kimber .45ACP, and even more surprised that my favorite gun to fire is a Ruger GP100 with a 6" barrel. If I could conceal the Ruger it would be my carry gun, hands down. I've been shooting it for about 3 months and feel good that I can get consistent 2 inch groups and I'm working toward 1 inch groups.
    Now after you purchase the fun don't stop there, take her to the range on a regular basis and let her practice, as much as she wants. As she starts shooting better and better she will gain confidence in handling the gun and her accuracy. She may even start to compete with you and be the one telling you SHE wants to go to the range, again.
    Don't be surprised if she decides later she wants to carry concealed. And encourage her if that's what she wants.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

BJC
    Well, the advice you've been given has pretty much covered everything. And I agree with everything above! I'll add one thing from when I bought my wife her gun almost two years ago.

When you are instructing / teaching / guiding her, make sure you explain the full gambit of abilities required of the shooter. Namely, what she would have to do IF the gun jammed or a bullet was a dud. This can weigh heavily on her decision in choosing the gun and her confidence in using the gun.

My wife loves my XD. In fact, we spend most of the time (and money) at the range with my pistol. She can shoot it very well. My gun has never failed on me with over 1,700 rounds of various ammo through it. I have no reason to not think it will work - but it is still mechanical and CAN malfunction.

When it came time for my wife to pick her gun, I explained the operations of the semi as opposed to the revolver. For my wife, the possibility of having to work the slide in a jam/misfire situation in dire circumstances made her question her ability with the XD in a defensive situation. She decided on a S&W 637 for her gun. She likes the simple loading and unloading, is quite accurate with it, and is very confident in her ability to use it. In fact, she recently asked me to sign her up for her concealed carry course!

Whatever you do you want you wife to feel confident in her ability to use the firearm that she chooses.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I think you hit on the most important point, it should be her choice. But, if she is very new to guns, then I think I would steer her towards a revolver for her first gun. Simplicity of operation and they don't malfunction due to limp wristing.

Take her to the range and have some fun.
    +1.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Expose her to both and let her decide. Revolvers are a little easier to start with because of their simpler operation.
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    +1...let her decide what she wants. she's capable of picking something.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

VIP Member
    Take her to a range that rents and has a good selection. Try lots of different guns, first have her pick a caliber and stick to it. Then find the right gun in that caliber. It will be lots of fun for both of you.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Also, suggest she check out the section "Choosing Firearms" at Cornered Cat - Table of Contents
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    When I have talked about choosing a gun with several women, the parts of the discussion them seem to have keyed in on are the standard set of pros/cons of revolver vs. auto-loader: the simplicity of the revolver vs. the carrying capacity of the auto, for example.

So, the approach I would suggest is to discuss those sorts of things, and then let her decide whether that means she is more interested in one type or the other.

Then start fondling guns at the gun store based on that; if she likes the simplicity of a revolver, for example, but absolutely loves the feel of some auto she picks up, she will already understand that choosing that gun means spending a little more time practicing malfunction drills and the like.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links