Need help on a pocket carrying pistol.

This is a discussion on Need help on a pocket carrying pistol. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In the up and coming months I'll be acquiring my CCW permit here in Kentucky. As soon as i do i plan on purchasing a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help on a pocket carrying pistol.

In the up and coming months I'll be acquiring my CCW permit here in Kentucky. As soon as i do i plan on purchasing a pistol that I can carry in my pocket.

I've been doing allot of research on what exactly i want in a pocket pistol and have concluded the following.

I like revolvers and would pocket carry a revolver, preferably in .44 special. Thats not to say i wouldn't carry a .357 mag but over penetration worries me. I don't want my round to go through the BG and end up hitting the innocent person behind him. Granted i know .357 mags exist that wouldn't do this, but recoil is also a factor in my revolver purchase. I'm not by any means "limp wristed" when it comes to shooting. I just want the ability to fire off multiple shots without having to wait too long between each shot realigning my sight picture. Another factor is mag capacity / cylinder capacity. I want more then 5 shots in any revolver platform and more then 6 in any pistol platform. In a caliber larger then 9mm in pistols and with more punch then a .38 special +p in revolvers. The safety mechanism is another factor. I very much so love the safety's on XD's and 1911's but hate pistols that only have thumb safety's. If i was to CCW a pistol i would be carrying it in the so called "locked and cocked" mode for the quickest draw. Which is why only having a thumb safety bothers me especially as i plan on carrying it in my pocket.

The biggest problem i keep finding in revolvers is they carry two few of the caliber I'm looking for, or are two big to carry in my pocket. In the realm of pistols i've found many that appear as if they could be carried in my pocket and meet all of the above but i don't own any of them, and so have never had a chance to test this theory out.

The following is a list of pistols and revolvers I'm considering for carry in my pocket. Please provide me information on how they carry from experience or what not.

Ruger SP 101
    Ruger Redhawk Alaskan in .44 mag (for 6 shots of .44 special).
    CZ's 2075 RAMI compact in .40 S&W
    Springfield XD sub-compact in .40 S&W
    S&W 329 NG
    S&W 396 NG
    S&W 325 NG
    S&W 327 NG
    Springfield 1911 EMP in .40 S&W

All of these pistols i've done research on to find out about as to how they stand up over all, and handle, as well as there pocket conceal ability. I've not always been able to find information on how well they conceal in the pocket or in some cases i've read that they are to big to conceal in one area, and then in another area heard that they can be. I've not listed all the revolvers up here I'm considering, as some of them are widely accepted as being perfectly concealable, but at the same time conflict with one of my requirements as listed above. I'd also like to ask you to please leave more of a comment then "you cant pocket carry X", please tell me why, like is the pistol to obvious in my pants? Would it require me to wear bigger pants then normal? Would the pistol be hard to draw from the pocket? Lastly id like to say price is not at all a factor in the purchasing of my pocket pistol / revolver, after all this is my life were talking about and potentially the lives of others.

I have much more research id like to do before making my purchase not only in the realm of weapons but also in munitions. If there's a pistol you think I'm over looking please let me know and i appreciate all feed back you're willing to give me.

It's not on the list, but one name I would check out is the Rugar LCP. My dad just bought one and is looking for a pocket holster for it. Its a pretty nice little piece. Chambered for .38 auto, its not really the biggest punch but it is very concealable.
    One thing about it though, it has a long waiting list at the moment. It took pops about 4 months to find one available.

Quote Originally Posted by Kipling View Post
    The following is a list of pistols and revolvers I'm considering for carry in my pocket. Please provide me information on how they carry from experience or what not.

Ruger SP 101
    S&W 329 NG
    S&W 396 NG
    S&W 325 NG
    S&W 327 NG
    This is a joke, right?

- OS

VIP Member
    First off, welcome to the forum.

Of those on your list, the only one I can speak of from experience is the CZ RAMI. Trust me, it is no "pocket pistol", unless you have pockets the size of Captain Kangaroo (I guess I gave my age away with that!). Weight is almost 26 oz empty, and has only the thumb safety. I would not recommend carrying it cocked and locked in a pocket. Since it is a DA/SA pistol I would carry it with one in the chamber hammer on the half cock notch. You may also find it difficult to find a pocket holster to fit it.
    Last edited by archer51; February 16th, 2009 at 12:23 PM. Reason: added info

A joke in what way?

Not good guns?
    Too large for pocket carry?

???
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Quote Originally Posted by OhShoot View Post
    This is a joke, right?
    or the OP has really big pockets...

Seriously, I don't own any pants that could pocket carry anything on the OP's list.

-Paul
    Hero's aren't born, they're cornered - According to Jim

Also check out http://www.mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf

It should help you a lot!
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

The small j-frames are good pocket pistols as well as a couple of the smaller 380s like the Bersa 380. Using hollow points you reduce the risk of a shoot going though a BG and injuring others. I carry a S&W 442 .38 special or a Bersa 380 both fit in a pocket easily. My wife is carrying a Kel-Tec P32 which is also a small pocket pistol.
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

I don't see a single pocket pistol on your list.

You would be talking Seecamp, NAA Gaurdians, Kel Tecs and LCP's if you were serious about real pocket pistols. Mouse guns so to speak. Just because you can get one in there does not make it good. Figure on its pocket holster and your ability to get it out quickly!

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    1st welcome to the forum...

2nd you will find opinions here are like noses, everyone has one.

Making a choice of what to carry is a very personal one. It's kind of like deciding what style of clothes you will wear. I'm interested in why you are set on carrying only in your pocket? I think once you get your permit you will find out you have to adapt and carry what will work best with how you are dressed.
    Right now with cooler weather here in Tennessee, I can carry just about anything I own (mostly my XD .45 compact or S&W 36 2" .38) in an OWB holster under a light jacket or vest. My Ruger LCP .380 is usually in my right front pocket as a back-up or alone "light carry".
    There are also a host of inside the waistband holsters that are very easy to conceal medium to full size guns under just a shirt when the weather get warmer.
    Keep researching until you find what works best for you.

Of the guns on your list, the only one I see as realistic for pants pocket carry is the Ruger SP101, and some would tell you its too heavy for that. Its not IMO, but it is on the heavy side of pocket guns.

The only current production .44 Special revolver that I know of that might fit in pants pockets is the Charter Arms Bulldog Pug DAO. Its a five shooter, but that is really the best you can expect from the .44 Special in a gun that will fit in pockets. Charter also makes a 6-shot .38 Special +P on the same frame with a slightly shorter barrel (2.2" vs. 2.5" for the Bulldog Pug) called the Police Undercover. That might be a choice if you are willing to go with .38 Special.

Other than that, S&W made a limited number of hump-backed DAO L-frame revolvers, the 242 and the 296, that some folks pocket carry. The 242 is a 7-shot .38 Special +P, the 296 is a 5-shot .44 Special. They were only produced for one year, 2000 or 2001 IIRC, and can be found on the auction sites for somewhat reasonable prices. They are Airlite Ti guns, so they are the right weight for pocket carry, but being L-frames, they are somewhat large.

All the rest of the guns you list might be feasible as overcoat pocket guns (with the exception of the Ruger Redhawk Alaskan), but would probably never work as pants pocket guns. Perhaps the L-frame based night guards might, if they had their hammer spurs removed.

Most of us that pocket carry do so with smaller guns. My pocket gun is a S&W 37-2 Airweight J-frame .38 Special 5-shot. Some people will tell you its too big for pocket carry too.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Quote Originally Posted by Kipling View Post
    As soon as i do i plan on purchasing a pistol that I can carry in my pocket.
    Why? A nice IWB, tuckable will work just as well.

I've been doing allot of research on what exactly i want in a pocket pistol and have concluded the following.

I like revolvers and would pocket carry a revolver, preferably in .44 special. Thats not to say i wouldn't carry a .357 mag but over penetration worries me.
    Couldn't have done that much research. To my knowledge, there are NO .44 special pistols that can be carried in a pocket (maybe a .45 LC derringer). Although, the .44 sp is a nice SD round.

I want more then 5 shots in any revolver platform and more then 6 in any pistol platform.
    They are both pistols...one is a revolver and the other a semi-auto.

In a caliber larger then 9mm in pistols
    Why? 9mm is perfectly fine for CCW.

If i was to CCW a pistol i would be carrying it in the so called "locked and cocked" mode for the quickest draw. Which is why only having a thumb safety bothers me especially as i plan on carrying it in my pocket.
    No "locked and cocked" for pocket pistols ... seems a foolish idea even if you could get the pistol in your pocket. Most pocket pistols are DA only, with the long trigger pull the "safety."

Ruger SP 101
    S&W 329 NG
    S&W 396 NG
    S&W 325 NG
    S&W 327 NG
    Not a pocket pistol in the bunch. If that is what you want, look at Kel-Tec P3AT, Kahr PM9and P380, Rohrbaugh P9s, Ruger LCP, S&W 642/442, etc. Do a search on "pocket pistol" on this forum. You should find a number of threads.

I'd also like to ask you to please leave more of a comment then "you cant pocket carry X", please tell me why, like is the pistol to obvious in my pants? Would it require me to wear bigger pants then normal? Would the pistol be hard to draw from the pocket?
    Yes. Yes.

mrm
    I just got a keltec p3at and I love it The person I got it from can qualify with the sherrif dept as a backup weapon and I am almost there with it

I'd go with a Kel-Tec PF-9 with a KNJ pocket holser. Is undetectable in my front pants pocket and the PF-9 packs a heck of a wallup! More so than those .380s

Well I pocket carry the Sp 101 .357 Mag. And when 2 cops came up to me after talking to my Messed up neighbor, I had it in my pocket and we were talking so much that after awhile I just put my hand in my pocket not thinking about it at all until my hand rested on the Handle. I thought for a moment these guys have no clue about any printing or any other signs. We all got along so well they came inside to see my 120inch TV. After that it was Hard to get rid of them. But I do like the size of my Kel-Tec PF 9 for the weight, for pocket carry. Here is some combo of what I carry Daily. The shinny holster is for the SP101. Also when I buy shorts I do check to see if they have LARGE pockets.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links