Advice for new Kimber

Advice for new Kimber

This is a discussion on Advice for new Kimber within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello to all, Firearm=Kimber Ultra Carry II with crimson Trace (3") I wanted to get some advice and any suggestions on brands of Ammo for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice for new Kimber

Advice for new Kimber

Hello to all,
    Firearm=Kimber Ultra Carry II with crimson Trace (3")

I wanted to get some advice and any suggestions on brands of Ammo for carry and range use, plus any information on quality magazines.
    I'm lost with the selection of ammo.

As for extra magazines, I was searching online and found a few choices:
    1) Wilson Combat model #47OX $29.95 -$32.95
    2) Cobramag Tripp Research model# 7R-45-RO $32.95
    3) Kimber Kim-Pro Tac Mag (The Armory out of stock) $17.95-$29.95
    My kimber came with 1 pro-tec mag.

If you would prefer to e-mail private, please do.
    Not trying to spam

Thanks to all that reply,
    Moto

As an owner of a couple Kimbers, both of the Ultra variety, I've had luck with most everything I've put through them. My range ammo is typically Blazer or WWB and Speer Gold Dot for carry.

As for mags, I've always used the KimPro mags and haven't had any issues with them.

Good luck with you Kimber - get it nice and boken in and she'll treat you good.

eldorado,

I have a Kimber Pro Eclipse II and its a great firearm. If its new, be sure to do the 500 rd break-in. I shoot Win White Box 230g FMJ or reloads in the same configuration for range practice. For CC, I carry Win Ranger SXT 230g. As for the mags, all of my extra mags are Chip McCormick Power or Shooting Star mags. They work great in both my 1911's.
    At Midway, the Power mags are about 20.00 each and the Shooting Stars are 14-16.00 each (depending if you get them with base pads). You can google Chip McCormick mags and find better prices. GL and welcome to the fraternity!!
    NC CCH Instructor, NRA Instructor
    NRA
    GOA
    Beretta 96 Brigadier
    Kimber Pro Eclipse II 1911
    Taurus PT1911

the more you shoot them the nicer they get, we run the wilson mags.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I used Winchester White Box 230g FMJ ammo to break-in my Kimber UCII. After about 400 flawless rounds down the pipe, I decided it was reliable enough for EDC. So far that has proven to be correct. I carry Winchester Ranger "T" ammo (when I can get it) otherwise my pistol shoots WWB 230g JHP just as well. I have found that the Kimber Stainless Pro magazines run very well in my pistol. Enjoy your new shooter.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Our new Kimbers(twin Pro Crimson Carry II's) did have some failure to feed issues.
    The problem is the mag springs seem to have a lot of pressure, pushing the first round straight into the feed ramp and not at the correct angle. All 4 mags exhibit the same problem. The temporary work around is loading 7 rounds instead of the full 8, and keeping the mags loaded when stored to gradually reduce some of the spring tension. We both have 575 rounds each through them and next trip to the range I plan to try 8 rounds to see if the problem has improved.
    YMMV
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

VIP Member
    I have a Kimber Tactical Pro II and it functions perfectly with Wilson 47D and ETM magazines. I shoot 230gr FMJ for practice and carry 230gr Gold Dots for SD.

ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

First off, congrats on your new purchase!

I use 230gr FMJ Winchester WWB, Blazer Brass, Remington UMC, Remington Green Box or Magtech for the range. I carry Federal HST 230+p but wouldn't hesitate to use Winchester Ranger "T" or Speer Gold Dot. Just make sure whichever carry round you decide on that it feeds in your gun fine as sometimes they can be tempermental. Like so many others, my Gold Combat eats everything.

As far as mags go, I've had great luck with the Tac-Mags and that's all I've ever used. The Tripp Cobra mags are top notch and I'll probably pick some of those up in the future. Many people swear by the Wilson mags as well. Like the carry rounds, find one your gun likes and stick with it. Kimbers are tight so keep it lubed real well through the first few hundred rounds and you shouldn't have any issues.

Another happy Kimber owner who, fortunately, did not go to Don's in Indy. [sorry...couldn't help referencing a post I just read]

e: I'll check to see what mags I have lying around. Nice pistol.

btw, the Armory seems to have them now:
    http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_s...ag%20comp.html
    Last edited by hayley; February 17th, 2009 at 02:22 AM. Reason: new info

Thanks

Thanks for the replies,
    Since my Kimber is out of the box new, I decided to purchase (4) Compact KimPro Tac-Mag, stainless, 7-round, .45 ACP, with interchangable pads from Kimber direct.

I went with kimber because when I was looking to purchase most of the site's ( $16-$20 range) were out of stock.

After I break her in then I will experiment with other magazines.
    Mine only came with 1 magazine, I wrote to Kimber about this! after all retail for mine was about $1150+-(only1Mag please)

As for Ammo thats the fun part, I will try all ammo that was suggested and take notes.
    THANKS AGAIN,
    Heathrow,FL.
    Moto
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I have a Kimber Tactical Pro II and it functions perfectly with Wilson 47D and ETM magazines. I shoot 230gr FMJ for practice and carry 230gr Gold Dots for SD.

I carry a Tactical Ultra II also and typically use 165 Gr +P PowerBall,230 Gr Golden Saber, or Hornady 230 Gr +P TAP. All feed perfectly even in a relatively dirty gun, like after shooting 300+ rounds.
    SE Texas Patriot Guard Rider, NRA Patron, TSRA Life Member

I have an Eclipse Target 5" and a new SIS Pro. Both are very accurate. Both needed to go back to Kimber to feed hollow points. The SIS in particular disappointed me since it was designed to shoot tactical or SD rounds.

For practice I mostly use reloaded 230 roundnose or 200 hollow point. White box has worked fine but I prefer CCI Blazer.

For self defense I usually use 185gr Hornady. In practice and self defense I find that hollow point in 200gr or 185gr to be the most accurate for me.

Run mine with about two dozen Wilson 47D and Wilson ETM mags.. For the range I use Winchester White Box or sometimes Blazer Brass..

For carry, it's Federal HST or Ranger T-series RA45T (not the SXT junk) 230 grain only. Have fired a few hundred through all my guns and it works flawless, plus expansion through denim is great and averages close to an inch for both, compared to Gold Dot and others 3/4 inch expansion...

Enjoy your new gun, it keeps getting better and be sure to test at least 50 rounds of your carry ammo...

Jonathan

I love my Kimber TLE Custom II /rl.

However it does fail to feed most of the time when I use 8 rounds in the wilson mags.

I have to push on the bottom of the mag to make it grab and strip the round.

It is still brand new though..
    wilson mags.
    Last edited by GreenHorn; February 17th, 2009 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SCfromNY View Post
    I have an Eclipse Target 5" and a new SIS Pro. Both are very accurate. Both needed to go back to Kimber to feed hollow points. The SIS in particular disappointed me since it was designed to shoot tactical or SD rounds.

For practice I mostly use reloaded 230 roundnose or 200 hollow point. White box has worked fine but I prefer CCI Blazer.

For self defense I usually use 185gr Hornady. In practice and self defense I find that hollow point in 200gr or 185gr to be the most accurate for me.
    I've found that my Kimber doesn't like the Corbon 165 gr +P hollowpoints as they tend to jam up on the feed ramp. One look at the cone shape provided all the info I needed as to why. The ramp on a 1911 is fairly straight up compared to say a Glock and the cone shape on the low weight hollowpoints tend to be less rounded than the higher weights. I just figured it is a price I pay for using the 1911 format. If I can only use light weight bullets with round noses like PowerBall, so be it. 230 gr +P rounds isn't that bad of a deal anyway.
    SE Texas Patriot Guard Rider, NRA Patron, TSRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links