New gun, Kahr PM9

New gun, Kahr PM9

This is a discussion on New gun, Kahr PM9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello from Indiana, I just purchased a new gun; a Kahr PM9. I had originally started out looking for a subcompact 1911 like the Kimber ...

New gun, Kahr PM9

Hello from Indiana,
    I just purchased a new gun; a Kahr PM9. I had originally started out looking for a subcompact 1911 like the Kimber Ultra Carry but the folks at Don's Guns in Indy steered me away from the Kimber by telling me that they have had nothing but problems with them and won't carry them anymore. I was really suprised because the reviews seemed to suggest that the Kimber was a really great gun.
    Anyway, I purchased the Kahr PM9 and so far I have not been disappointed. I have only ran a couple hundred rounds through it so far but no failures at all. It has been 100%.
    I am concerned about the fact that it has no external safeties. I have to admit that it makes me a little nervous carrying a loaded weapon in my pocket (I also bought the DeSantis Nemesis holster to carry it in) with the awareness that there is no safety. Should I be concerned about an accidental discharge? Is it really safe to carry a gun with no safety? Should I have bought the Kimber instead? I am very commited to safety; learning the gun inside out, practicing regularly, and making sure I know what I'm doing.
    This is the first carry gun I have owned. I have a couple of rifles, both Marlin, and a Ruger Blackhawk 357 mag. The Ruger is lots of fun to shoot and a great gun, but not suitable for carry (way too big and heavy).
    I would love to hear any thoughts and advise from anyone out there.
    Thanks

It's simple...keep your booger hook off the bang switch. Buy a quality holster that covers the trigger and dont put your finger inside the trigger guard until you are ready to shoot. Most of your modern defensive handguns have no external safety. You should be fine.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    That gun WILL NOT fire unless something pulls the trigger. With a nice long trigger pull. Always use a holster (pocket or otherwise), use care when holstering (be conscious of anything dragging the trigger and immediately STOP) and keep your finger out of the trigger guard unless ready to fire. You'll be fine.

To aid confidence, try carrying your normal way around the house unloaded, with the gun cocked (as if there were a round in the chamber). Notice it remains that way (doesn't fire on it's own). This will help build your confidence in your new weapon. Cool guns, I like my PM9 a lot.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Thanks for the suggestion to try carrying around the house unloaded. That sounds like good advice.
    I also agree that it would not be a good idea to carry it around without a holster. I got the DeSantis Nemesis. Do you think that is the best choice or do you recommend another way to carry or type of holster.

Quote Originally Posted by Headshrinker View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion to try carrying around the house unloaded. That sounds like good advice.
    I also agree that it would not be a good idea to carry it around without a holster. I got the DeSantis Nemesis. Do you think that is the best choice or do you recommend another way to carry or type of holster.
    It's fine, safety wise.
    A little thick for my taste, but perfectly safe.
    Reholstering any weapon is perhaps the most dangerous activity one does with it, so don't do that casually. Once it's in your Nemesis, it's quite safe, especially if there's nothing else in that pocket that could possibly work it's way down into the trigger. It won't go off if dropped. It won't go off due to heat, or cold, or wet, or dry, regardless of how high the national debt goes, etc. Only thing that will discharge it is the trigger being pulled.

If you want to practice drawing it from the Nemesis, do it for a while without one in the pipe, but cocked. You'll see that only pulling the trigger will make it go click.

When I pocket carry my Kahr PM9, I use this StellarRigs.com deal. Very thin, and holds spare mag. It's a great weapon, enjoy it.

I carry my PM9 EVERYWHERE in a Uncle Mike's Size 12, at 3 O'Clock. I did cut it a little to keep the tad bit of extra padding from printing a bit on my T-Shirt.....but I'm not a big guy, and I wanted to get as sleek as possible. I carry one in the chamber at all times, and am not worried about a discharge at ALL. Click the link to this review out (below with a good picture even) you'll see the way the safety is designed, then take your gun apart and play with it. That always makes me feel a lot better, and puts the mind at ease. You will LOVE that Kahr. I do, thats why I've got 2

Kahr PM9 Lightweight Compact* 9mm Auto Pistol
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

my sweety carries a pm9 all the time, in a fanny pack. no problems, we also put a reduced power wolff spring in it and gave it a better trigger. we have shot hundreds of rounds thru it and never had a problem. we also have the kimber 1911s and you are really missing out on some fine guns taking that shops advise. they are some of the nicest guns we own.

Congrats man! I just bought a new PM9 myself. It is my first Kahr and so far I love it! I've only shot around 100rds throught it so far but is has worked 100% perfectly with fmj and hollow points.
    God & Guns!

Well, since you asked...

I have two bits of advice.

First, check the striker sleeve regularly. I had light primer strikes that eventually became no primer strikes. Not only that, but I was walking around for weeks without a round in the chamber.

Now imagine if I needed my gun....The striker sleeve had become clogged with debris and lube. Check it often.

You have made a good choice. This is the gun I carry most...very concealable, very reliable.

I've been carrying a PM9 for 2 yrs now, still my favorite carry gun!
    at work it's in a Smartcarry, all other times it's in a cheapo Don Hume IWB.

Great choice on tha Kahr. I own a PM45 and it's my EDC.

I also own a Kimber CCII and also love it....shoots really smooth. No probs from this Kimber owner...thats after 750 rounds through it.

Though I LOVE my KIMBER adn couldn't be happier with it, I choose to carry my Kahr PM45 for my CCW every day.

Links