642 ladysmith - Page 2

642 ladysmith

This is a discussion on 642 ladysmith within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Granted the best thing is to go somewhere and try a bunck of different models, but we don't have any ranges around here, so were ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 642 ladysmith

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    Granted the best thing is to go somewhere and try a bunck of different models, but we don't have any ranges around here, so were limited to what ever the gun shops have in stock.
    I was looking at a firestorm .380 today, but I think she would be better of with a wheel gun to start as there the easiest to operate.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    depends bruce the 1911 platform was my wifes first pistol ( afformentioned detonics ) and for duty she chose a high power , she really doesnt like revolvers or any da/sa auto i have put into her hands . If your wife is going to shoot the little beast , then simple is out of the equation , just as the 1911 is not too complex for the average cop , it isnt for her either nor is any other action that she will train with a bit , its what she will like that she has a chance of shooting and becoming proficient with .. which is after all the main thing to both of you when the chips are down

I would love her even more if she wanted a 1911, but I let her shoot my mil-spec a while back (I only put 1 round in it) and she shot it, dropped the gun on the ground and went back to the truck, and sat there complaining how I should have warned her it was going to recoil so bad. I did tell her to hold on tight as it was going to have a bit of muzzle flip.

Bruce if that did not sour her on the action , try some diff calibers in basic 1911 or browning hp platform , my bride loves her hp but i had to straighten the trigger for her a scosh so ergonomics worked , she couldnt quite get a good pull on the trigger without shifting grip , we reshaped trigger and she qualified with that little sucker 2nd in her academy class . Our brides are worth getting things right for imho.

Some people don't like autos nor the jarring they give your wrists .. Seems most women i know prefer Wheelies though my old lady likes the 1911

My main concern is if I get her interested in the 1911 platform I will end up getting jealous when she gets one and says its "hers", maybe we'll have to get matching ones I've been wanting a 1911 commander in 9mm, here's my chance

just admit it ya don't care what she gets as long as you get another 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    just admit it ya don't care what she gets as long as you get another 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruces45
    Thats what i thought

I carry a SW model 37 as my primary, and sure I do have a Milspec 1911, but you can't beat the go anywhere ability of the snubnose. I carry carry Speer Gold Dots +P in mine with a speed strip. I figure if you need to reload the thing as a civilian and you have chosen to fire, you best be reloading an running. Don't get caught up in the Caliber wars. My 2Cents.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    She said she likes a snubby and she shot a .45 and dropped it, upset with the recoil. A snubby .357 will be just as bad but with more pronounced muzzle flip. P95 was right about the wood grips. The original rubber is best. If she goes with a snubbie, I'd go with a .38 mild loads. I can sense a subconsious desire on this site and others, to get people into bigger guns because of personal bias. A lot of people aren't die hard carrying folks who are willing to adjust dress and other factors to accomodate larger weapons. From just what I've heard of this lady, I'd get her a airweight S&W. I'd get one with a hammer so she can cock it and practice single action shooting with the lightest .38 loads you can find. Don't worry about the snagging unless she's going to be pocket carrying. Personally, I think the snagging thing is just a bit over done. I have a 637 and like the option of cocking for more accurate single action or simply double tapping in double action.

Get her what she wants in a grippable, lightweight frame and then let her shoot the lightest stuff possible until she's proficient and wants more. then you can help her practice with different defense rounds.

Besides. If she carrys an airweight with 125 grain wad cutters it's more than she's carrying right now. Personally, I don't think the 1911 platform is good someone unless they like shooting and get into the 1911 style.

Another weapon i'd really get her to at least hold would be a Kahr P9 in 9mm. They're simple, lightweight, and an escellent gun that's easy to cycle and is a decent round.

Just some thoughts...

gideon , you do us a disservice here , tho i agree with a lot of what you said i dont agree with the statement " I can sense a subconsious desire on this site and others, to get people into bigger guns because of personal bias" i for one have suggested easy to shoot easy to carry firearms here , true i have not suggested your classic lady gun , because my classic lady and most i have trained reject them once they are trained , many selling them at a loss . a womans gun and a mans gun is basicly differentated by the plumbing of the person carrying it , yes some require modification for small statures, but that is male or female, if you search my name you will see that at times a .380 walther ppk/s has been my only carry gun , i am not pushing anyone to a large gun nor imho is anyone here , ( have chris sing the siren song of the roraghbah or howeaver ya spell that little beast ) we just want the best , most comfortable carry for anyone , its about carry and confidince. i belive we all recomend within our own personal envelopes what we see as falling into that range .

i apologise in advance for " going off " here its not really directed at Gideon , and he had some real fine thoughts, just ****** we do think things thro a bit before we recomend a 454 casul for an 18 year old midget on her way to carry fame lol

i know i shouldnt hit post but i am going to anyway with apologys to any offended by my rant

My main concern is if I get her interested in the 1911 platform I will end up getting jealous when she gets one and says its "hers", maybe we'll have to get matching ones I've been wanting a 1911 commander in 9mm, here's my chance
    Ohhhhhhhhh Bruce?? we have one at the store.............waiting for you to call........LOL....
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

ROFLMAO @ (no) CLASS3NH never quit marketing bud lol

edited to say damm i am glad i live half way across the country from you and bruce lol

Well my wife is in the process of getting here pistol permit and wants a snubby, so does anyone here have any experience with one of these?
    I have a 642 (pretty much the same thing). I bought it to keep in the dresser for my wife until I got her to take the NRA basic pistol. And get her to shoot and find out what she wants. I really thought she would think the 642 was cute, and have an easy time shooting it. I was wrong.

My wife shot the 642, a walther P990 DAO 9mm, a H&K P2000 LEM in 40 S&W. FMJ and hollow points on all guns. She absolutely hates the 642, said it hurts too much and will never shoot it again. She could not tell the difference between the walther and h&k.

She now has the walther w/ 2 15 round mags in the dresser.

Just my experience.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links