642 ladysmith

This is a discussion on 642 ladysmith within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well my wife is in the process of getting here pistol permit and wants a snubby, so does anyone here have any experience with one ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 642 ladysmith

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar

642 ladysmith

Well my wife is in the process of getting here pistol permit and wants a snubby, so does anyone here have any experience with one of these?

Looks to be a really nice piece, and is looks great for carry if she so decides.
    Anyone have one?

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    I have a relative out West that carries one and she swears by it.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

How do you supose the recoil is on that baby? Seeing how they are so light they must pack a bit of a wallop.
    Maybe we won't start out with the +P's
    She's shot my Colt commander and didn't like the recoil, she's shot my SP101 with 158gr 357 mag loads and wasn't really fond of that either. She likes the SP101, its just a little heavy for her, so I figured this ladysmith might be a good decision.

The name lady smith is lame but yeah i have a model 442-2 .38 spl +P
    mine is all black and hammerless like that one. they're good little guns.
    i shot mine pretty well for the small frame and barrel length.
    in fact i carry it regularly. I dont know why they call it a lady smith.
    A J frame is a J frame in my book just made of different materials.
    i love my little snub nose it's easy to carry.

Smith & Wesson the originial point and shoot. The Lady Smith has a little lighter trigger pull than the standard version. Very good weapon. Start her off with light loads if she is not used to recoil.

I started off thinking about the M 60 Ladysmith

But figured the shrouded hammer of the 642 would be better for pocket or purse carry for her.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I also carry a J frame Airweight .38. With +p's its harsh to say the least but with regular loads and even a lighter bullet weight it's good.
    I had to learn to shoot mine by putting my trigger finger all the way through.
    I actually pull the trigger with the pad between the main finger tip pad and the crease underneath the first knuckle.
    When I used the regular pat I always pulled my shots to the right.

It's an excellent gun and easy to carry. Can't beat them for anything. If she'll practice with it, she'll be in good shape.
    If she doesn't, she'll have trouble hitting a garbage can at ten paces.

God Bless
    Gideon

Assistant Administrator
    Main comment Bruce would be that the rosewood grips may have to go! They are sure pretty but - last Personal Protection course we were running, I had a lady who really - I mean really struggled with hers.

She was a bit lacking in hand strength but found the trigger very hard to use - resulting in her off-setting the gun to use it - not good results. I do think she would have done way better with some other grips tho - even with std 38's she was finding it less than comfortable.

I would strongly suggest Mrs Bruce tries one somehow - maybe she'll love it but - OTOH, may not - gotta find out IMO.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

My wife carries a 642, she shoots standard 38 Special loads through it. It's the "plain" blasted finish airweight that came with rubber grips, I think Hogue but can't remember. She likes the rubber grips (I think they're too plain, but I'm a nut for fancy grips).
    Recoil must not be bad because she likes shooting it. In fact, we had bought two of them and she "appropriated" mine, so now she has two -- which makes me wonder why she asks me why I need two 45s....

The 642 is a good gun, but I'm getting back into a Colt. The trigger on the little thing is just too darn heavy.

For carry it's superb. 5 rounds of .38 + P SB load Gold Dots in a pocket is very nice.

It's fun to shoot because it's a challenge. It sucks to shoot because it makes you wish for a bigger gun.

I shot mine a lot and no problems, no malfunctions, nothing like that, but my groups at 21 feet were like 5". Now some people are real good shots with these things but not me.

I think getting one, finding someone who will slick it up for you, and getting the right grips will yield a very nice little gun. Personally I think I'm just going to switch back to a Colt and live with babying the gun a little bit.

Do you guys feel that the 642 is worth the extra $$ over the 640

Its so much harder finding the "perfect" gun for a woman. If I had my way she would be weilding a Colt Lightweight Commander

Quote Originally Posted by Bruces45
    Do you guys feel that the 642 is worth the extra $$ over the 640

Its so much harder finding the "perfect" gun for a woman. If I had my way she would be weilding a Colt Lightweight Commander

Well that is the thing each person has to choose what they like.

Well part of the problem is you get in a situation like I did... you have somebody with a very strict list of criteria with no interest in doing the work to get it themselves.

But the consequence if you don't do it is not good...

Personally I think it is sort of fun even if it is infuriating.

I'm pround of my aunt though. She went out and got her a Cheetah all by herself.

RE: The 640 vs. 642 Yeah I think so. I personally do not care for .357 Magnum out a J frame. I don't think it accomplishes all that much. Granted it IS the better tool, but the muzzle flash and felt recoil are excessive.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Seriously I would expose her to everything i could and build off the platform that she says " i like the way that feels " holding it . be it a snubby , a 1911 , a kahr , whateaver feels good in her hand is the thing for her to carry , that is how my bride many years ago " borrowed " my detonics ( now i get to see it when it needs cleaned lol ) just my opinion , your mileage may vary

My wife tried both a Model 60 LS and a 642. She preferred the Model 60, and shot it well with .38S and .357. Hammerless is less likely to snag, but that can also be addressed with a good holster. The extra weight of the stainless Model 60 made it easier for her to control. She really liked the rosewood grips and the SA action. She felt the DA action was smooth and manageable. If you can rent the two at a local range, it would be good for her to testdrive the two or three models you most want her to consider.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links