Help me decide on a new CCW

This is a discussion on Help me decide on a new CCW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a S&W 638 for my ankle/pocket and I have a Sig P239 for my truck, or hip for when its really darn cold ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I have a S&W 638 for my ankle/pocket and I have a Sig P239 for my truck, or hip for when its really darn cold outside. What I want now is a CCW that I can carry IWB. The Sig P239 is just a bit to heavy for IWB IMO and I dont know what else to look at.

Things I do not want in a CCW. Nothing without a hammer I can manipulate, so no glocks or walther pps. NO Kahrs or Tauruses. I dont like the ultra long trigger pull on the Keltec P-11. Nothing over 23 oz in empty mag weight. It cannot have less than 5 shots.

It has to be either 38 special, 357 mag or 9mm. Accurate to 25 yds. Reliable. Price is no big deal, within reason

Get a good holster (milt sparks or TT gunleather etc.) and carry that 239. ever thought about a baby eagle?

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Sounds to me like you described a commander sized 1911.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

I love 1911s, but as great as they feel in your hand and as laser accurate as they are, they have always been a bit jammy.

As far as competition shooting, I dont know if you can get any better than a 1911, but with thighter accuracy comes a loosening in reliablility. tighter tolerances = more jams = not my first or second choise for a ccw

VIP Member
    Was going to suggest the CZ P-01, but after checking it is 27 oz empty. 9mm, 14+1 capacity, accurate and built for a lifetime of use.

I was just reading up on the Baby Eagle compact and I really like what I see accept for the fact its a beefy 27.8 oz. I may just get one anyways for fun, at $450, sounds like a good value, but still to heavy for what Im looking for. It also looks like it has lots of 'grab' points on it, making it a possibly difficult piece to pull out in a hurry.

newmenu,
    Welcome, I have to agree with DRLOVE, the P236 is a very sweet firearm now just complement it by investing in a custom holster, give Tim @ TT Gunleather a call.
    TT GunLeather High Quality Leather Gun Holsters

Best,
    Moto

VIP Member
    To me it sounds like a Sig P232 is perfect. 7+1 rds .380acp, DA/SA, wieght w/out mag - 18.5 oz. black or 2tone. 23.6 oz. stainless. You can't go wrong with Sig. IMHO

Is .380acp close enough to 38spcl.?
    Last edited by sigmanluke; February 16th, 2009 at 06:37 PM. Reason: question
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

You sure left out a bunch of great pistols.
    You'll rock, with a 357 Glock

Im gonna take a closer look at the Walther PPS 9mm, I only shot it and glocks down on one single merit, the lack of an exposed hammer. I might warm to it more if I can find that it has more safty features than the glock. I just cant use the glock as a carry gun after all the stories Ive heard of cops shooting themselves with one.

YouTube - DEA AGENT SHOOTS OWN FOOT

VIP Member
    If you think the P239 is too heavy, maybe it's the holster you're using?
    The P-239 is a great CCW. I carry a 1911 in a VersaMax-II and don't ever feel like it's too much.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    If you think the P239 is too heavy, maybe it's the holster you're using?
    The P-239 is a great CCW. I carry a 1911 in a VersaMax-II and don't ever feel like it's too much.

got a pic of the your p239 holstered in the vm2? im curious how it looks, how it might feel/work. I am 5'11 200lbs and have a bit of a spare tire. and am a bit worried about my tire messing with an IWB holster.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by newmenu View Post
    got a pic of the your p239 holstered in the vm2? im curious how it looks, how it might feel/work. I am 5'11 200lbs and have a bit of a spare tire. and am a bit worried about my tire messing with an IWB holster.
    Sorry, when I said the P-239 was a great CCW, I have tried one of a friends but don't own one. Here's a picture of the VM-II with a P-220 I did have for reference:

I have no pictures of me wearing my weapons but I do weight 235lbs and am 5' 11" with ample "love handles". No problema!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

How about a S&W 642/442?
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Frankly, I don't know why you consider the P239 to be "too heavy" for IWB.

I'd get a good holster, like a Sparks VMII, for that 239 and stay with it.

Unless, of course, you're looking for a reason to buy a new gun, in which case I'd do just that....
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links