Looking for a EDC for my Mom with Osteoporosis

This is a discussion on Looking for a EDC for my Mom with Osteoporosis within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hell must have frozen over, my Mom is getting her CCW!!! I want to give her some suggestions to try out. She's 5' tall, not ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a EDC for my Mom with Osteoporosis

Looking for a EDC for my Mom with Osteoporosis

Hell must have frozen over, my Mom is getting her CCW!!! I want to give her some suggestions to try out. She's 5' tall, not overweight, small handed, and has osteoporosis. I think a small caliber auto would be best for her condition. least amount of recoil possible. I don't want her to fracture her hand or anything.
    Also, suggestions for a fanny pack style carry opinions appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bryan

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Do you know if she would be able to rack the slide on a semi-auto with her current condition? I might suggest a small .38 Special revolver or if she can manage to rack the slide on a semi-auto, maybe a Glock 26. I wouldn't go any smaller than .380, but even a .22 is better than nothing.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Taurus made the ultralite in 32 h&r magnum. That would work for her. Or charter arms makes thier snubby in the 327 magnum which also can shoot the 32 magnum. The charter will also handle the 32 long colt as should the ultralite although that cartridge is pretty anemic.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

I would look at something like the LCP.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I don't know about the LCP, but my P3AT (effectively the same gun) has enough recoil that makes me not want to shoot it. If you're looking for something with less recoil, a .38 spl snubbie may be the ticket, no slide to rack, no misfeeds, not stovepipes, just pure and simple point and click. And if all else fails, a .22 is better than nothing as stated earlier.

I have shot a 3-PAT, it's a snappy little bugger. Not the right choice for her. how snappy is a .38 special snubbie? she did say she wanted an auto. (brings a tear to my eye, so proud)
    So... small caliber, not necessarily a pocket gun, light recoil, fairly easy to rack, controls for small hands. Sounds like a nearly impossible combination to me.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    The Glock 26 is easy to rack for me, but my sister can't seem to the slide on any semi-auto she picks up. She doesn't have osteoporosis or anything like that, she is just naturally weak in her arms. I helped her choose a J Frame revolver. I know the Ruger SP101 is an easy gun to shoot with .38 Special loads, but can also fire the 357 Magnum rounds. I think if your Mother is going to carry in a fanny pack, the SP101 is definitely a gun worth looking at. I can pop off .38s all day with that little thing and the weight soaks up most of the recoil.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Bryan, you might want to bring your Mom to a gun store. Allow her to handle the various size handguns for a comfortable feel. Let her try to work the action on each weapon. This method will allow her to get a "feel" for what will & will not work for her. That's what I'd do if my mom wanted a gun. My mom is around 5 foot tall as well.
    Once she narrows down her selection of comfortable guns rent them if possible. Give her the opportunity to fire the guns she may want to buy.
    Good luck on your Mom's selection!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

38 special in a snubbie is not easy on recoil. Most folks agree that 15-20 rounds is enuff for a days shooting. I love my j frame but its really not the choice for your mom.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

I would love to help her in person, she lives in FL. I want to narrow it down to a handful of realistic choices for her to start with. Let her pick what she likes. I think so far the Taurus .32 sounds like a winner. No way she could rack any glock, and the LCP would snap her wrist.

Keep em comin!!! Thanks!

A Beretta tip-up barrel would be easy to manipulate for her. Weak cartridge, but that might not matter if she dumps the mag at a short distance. Another thing to consider is a Glock 19. You could load it for her, and with 16 rounds of 9mm, I doubt she'll ever have to reload. Malfunctions are almost non-existent.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I was just looking at a beretta... The .32 Tomcat.
    What about the walther PPK/S Pistol - .32ACP? anybody here shot these?

Maybe a j-frame but stay away from lightwight alloy...go with a 640 or model 60. The weight would help tame the mild recoil and she wouldnt have to rack a slide.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    If the weight is not too much, and the trigger pull not too heavy a steel J-frame or Ruger SP 101 might be the way to go.
    If she can't rack the slide a SA is not the right choice. She might also have trouble loading the magazines, although some loaders work well.

The choices are obviously very limited, and I agree that the best way is to go to a friendly gun shop with a good inventory (if you can find one these days) and let her try some and hopefully select one that will work best for her.

Regards,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu711 View Post
    Bryan, you might want to bring your Mom to a gun store. Allow her to handle the various size handguns for a comfortable feel. Let her try to work the action on each weapon. This method will allow her to get a "feel" for what will & will not work for her. That's what I'd do if my mom wanted a gun. My mom is around 5 foot tall as well.
    Once she narrows down her selection of comfortable guns rent them if possible. Give her the opportunity to fire the guns she may want to buy.
    Good luck on your Mom's selection!
    I second this suggestion...comfort can only be determined by the shooter.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links