Defensive Carry banner

Need help with S&W 442

1K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  Jackle1886 
#1 ·
I took the wife to the gun shop today to look for a home defense handgun. She is unable to rack the silde on all the auto's she tried and then we found the S&W 442 revolver, lightweight, easy to carry and conceal if she ever decides to get a carry license.

My question is that this gun has a lock installed. I have heard from others that these locks sometimes present a problem, anyone know about this problem or have encountered this themselves, should I walk away from this gun and look elsewhere.

#2 ·
If you can get it without that would be a + IMO..

BUT.

The problem was the internal locks would sometimes lock up by themselves leaving the gun useless in a gunfight.

But this problem seems to be more of a issue with guns that take 357 .
From what I have read the .38 only guns have not really had a problem with this.

If you could find one without that would be great. .
But I dont think that the Lock would be a deal breaker if thats the gun she likes/feels comfortable with and would carry.

#5 ·
Some point out that the probability of a lock equipped Smith & Wesson seizing up is very small. My Smith & Wesson revolvers will never become incapacitated because of a lock as they aren't lock equipped. For self defense I suppose it's a matter of just how lucky a person feels whether he selects a lock-added S&W for personal protection or not.

I have seen a Model 329 lock up. This was long after I was convinced I wanted nothing to do with a lock.

#6 ·
although my 637 has the "hillary hole", I haven't experienced any problems with it in the 9 months that I've been carrying it in dirt, dust, rain, and other non gun friendly environments. I believe the lock problem was addressed within the first year or so and for the most part resolved.

surv

#7 ·
Take your choice

The lock is a religious issue with some folks, but from a rational perspective it is "no problem". I would be more concerned with how well she can shoot a 442 and if the recoil will be a problem for her. If the primary goal is home defense, a steel 3 or 4 inch 357 revolver loaded with 38+p is a much better choice.

#10 ·
The 442 was the first CCW I bought and I still carry it much of the time. The lock on this gun has never been a problem and I have never bothered with it. When I am not carrying it I keep it in a locked gun box and have a S&W 9mm M&P for home defense.

When looking for a gun for my wife we had the same problem, she could not rack the slide on a semi. She tried my 442 and found the recoil on this gun a little much. Shooting these small snbbies is not always a fun experience. Before settling on the 442 for her you might want to be sure she can handle it, my wife hated it. Finally found that she could handle a Kel-Tec P32 much easier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.