Defensive Carry banner

.380 crazy!!!

12K views 35 replies 32 participants last post by  Diddle 
#1 · (Edited)
So...has anyone else noticed all the highly concealable .380 semi-autos that are hitting the market??? I wanted to create a thread that lists many of the new & current pocket .380's that are now or will soon be available. Now, I'm not posting all .380's, only if they can really fit easily in a pocket. If I can I'm posting pictures so everyone can see what they look like.

Kel-tec P-3AT

Ruger LCP

Kahr P380 - not yet available

Comparison b/w the Kel-tec & the Kahr

NAA Guardian

Seecamp 380

Bersa Thunder 380 CC - a tad on the large size but could fit in my pockets

Magnum Research ME380

Sig P238 - not yet available

Taurus TCP 380 - forgot this one will be coming out soon

I didn't list Walther's new PK380 or Sig's P232 because they both are a tad too large for most pockets. I also didn't list the offerings from Jiminez or Cobra or other Jennings-type company since I am biased to crappy guns made with crappy materials...just being honest.

I am curious to know what folks think of these 380's in general. I used to own a P3AT. I sold it for a PM9, but with all these offerings I'm tempted to get back into a pocket .380...my excuse would be that it would be for the wife. Not sure if she'd buy that, but it sounds good.

See less See more
#3 ·
Well, as I've stated in the other thread on the Sig 238, I'm planning on getting one when they are available and I get my requirements in IA squared away. I generally favor metal framed guns to poly, and I love my Mustangs. I hope this sells well and Sig makes models in the other two sizes that Colt offered in the .380.

If my Mustangs run well, the Sig variant should do just fine. Sig fit and finish/updates on a Colt design, what's not to like?

#4 ·
The new Walther PK380 is being really highly anticipated. There has been much talk about it around gun shops. I think the feeling is that it fills a nich in between the 9mm luger and the .32 ACP for those people who feel the .32 ACP is underpowered and want the compact size of a compact semi-auto with a little more power. I own a Bersa 380 and it is a nice pocket pistol which I feel is good for SD. I am finding though that ammo for these guns has become more and more difficult to find and is more expensive then the 9mm luger. At this point I'd rather have another compact 9mm luger then another 380 I can't shoot because ammo is too expensive. Hopefully, with more 380s on the market the ammo might become more plentiful if manufacturers become motivated to produce more.

#6 ·
I have gradually become a big fan of the .380. It isn't for everyone, and most aren't fun or target shooters, but they are great for pocket, ankle, IWB, fanny pack; and the newest ammo described on this site with controlled expansion and good penetration make them excellent for carry. I actually own a .40 which carries "almost" nicely in my pocket, but misses the mark by about 1/2 an inch and a bunch or weight.

There's a reason why the .380s are having a resurgence. They fit a real need.

#19 ·
What ammo???? I carry a .380 a good bit but I believe it to be on the anemic side ballistically speaking. Currently have it loaded with rounds alternated between FMJs and Gold Dots.

#8 ·
Yes...and have you noticed the corresponding national shortage of .380 ammo? You literally cannot buy it anywhere!

Out of your list, I have the LCP (back at Ruger as we speak) and a Bersa 380CC, which can fit in the pocket (I have a "chopped" Desantis Nemesis PPK holster) but is a bit large for that. The Bersas are really getting noticed as a good, reliable .380 for a relatively low price.

#10 ·
I'm having a hard time just getting reloading tools and supplies for the .380. Dies and bullets are hard to find, I'm on backorder at several sites and I'm just waiting to see who gets them first.

The newer and improved ammo and all the new gun owners looking for a small and easy to carry gun is giving the .380 new life. Also the gun makers are listening to the gun buyer's demands for small lightweight guns and are making better guns to meet those demands.

#11 ·
The first time I saw the ME380, I thought "Whoa, where's the barrel?" At the same time while it is funky looking, I actually like that it doesn't look like all the rest. Pictures do help.

#16 ·
Ammo is getting scarce for these, maybe that will change with all these new.380's on the market. Barely been able to shoot my LCP since recall because I can't find ammo. $22 a box for SD ammo gets pricey at the range!

#22 ·
I’ve carried a Walther PPKs for many many years, but never considered it ideal for pocket carry. Last year I picked up a Kel-Tec P3AT 380 and love it.

While the Walther is a very accurate pistol, the little Kel-Tec like most belly guns, is one of those pistols you carry allot and seldom shoot.

Sure, there are some that will say “ I carry nothing smaller than a 45 acp”, and if I knew I was going to be in a battle, I too would chose to have my 9mm with me. But the truth is, I would much rather have a 380 in your pocket vs leaving a 357 back in the car.

And regardless of caliber, if the chips are down, and you have to defend yourself, a BG is not going to care what caliber you shoot him with so long as you place a couple shots in COM.

#23 ·
I bought a Ruger LCP this past weekend at the Fort Worth Gun Show. It was either that or a Kel-Tec P-3AT. The Kel-Tecs sold out in half an hour, but there were some Rugers left, so I bought one. The ammo was available, but not cheap. I was looking for 9 mm bricks, but they were pretty pricey or not available, either. The .380 ammo was pricey, it seemed to me. My 9 mm is a Ruger P89, not designed for concealed carry, obviously, so I wanted the light, highly concealable mouse gun.

#27 ·
the kel tec pf9 gives you service caliber in a very small gun. way settle for something with half the stopping power?
I highly considered the PF9 as a BUG or unrelenting FL heat summer carry, but it's too large to fit that bill. My pants all have relatively large pockets, but it still is too big for them. I have a relatively small frame, so that doesnt help. The p3at or LCP is currently where I have my sights set. I'd love to carry a larger caliber, but the size is an issue. I'll still have my XD9sc as my primary, but there are certain times where a firearm that size doesnt work. If I could afford it, I'd get the 9mm rohrbaugh. For now, .380 is the way I'll be going. I plan to pick up the PF9 or PM9 when the funds are available, for an intermediate size firearm.
[/caliberwarhijack]

ohhh, and Kahr has the p380 listed as Available/Now shipping on their site.

#31 ·
don't wait

IMHO, I personaly would not wait. The color of Your gun will not matter to a BG. You may have to wait much longer, considering the scarcity of these little mouse guns. I got a P3AT and them wanted a PF 9. My dealer called and said he had one in OD green and I turned it down, wanted a black one. Well, that was two months ago and still waiting.

#26 ·
I second the opinion on Bersas. They're good little guns for the price. But for me at least, their .380 kicks like a mule. I can hardly stand to shoot one *mag* full, let alone a box of 50. Padded gloves with the fingertips removed might help, but...

It's a backup carry, only.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.