44 special for conceal carry - Page 2

44 special for conceal carry

This is a discussion on 44 special for conceal carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry a S&W model 24 which is an N frame. Proper holster makes all the difference. I use to carry a Charter Bulldog, never ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 44 special for conceal carry

I carry a S&W model 24 which is an N frame. Proper holster makes all the difference. I use to carry a Charter Bulldog, never had a problem with it.
    When a Government become ultra concerned about its citizen's guns its time to beconcerned about the Governments long term plans Me

Simply Rugged Holsters work really well for me. For a few extra bucks you can get some straps from him which converts the pancake holster into an iwb. Here is the link.

Leather Gun Holster, Concealed carry holster, Simply Rugged!", Proudly made in Alaska

I own a Charter Bulldog .44 Special. I lost it to my wife when she got her CFP. I have never had a problem with it.

+1 to Simply Rugged, I paid the extra $10 for the straps. If it wern't for only five shot capacity it would replace the Glock 19 as my primary carry. Also, make sure you check out Tuff Quick Strips for the only .44 speed strips I know of.

I recently bought a couple speed loaders for my Taurus 38 Ultralite & they work fine, just a little bulky.
    How are the speed strips used to load a revolver???

Close but no cigar. A lightweight 44 Special is a nice idea but an 18 oz revolver in this caliber kicks too much to be effective as a CCW weapon. Regards, Richard:)

My S&W M296:

Didn'T the son of Sam use A Bull dog 44 spl.I just read an article about responsibility for carrying concealed.If you had to use it could you guarantee that the slug that hit the perp,stayed in the perp or passed through and hit an innocent person. The question,I still ask myself and others is what is the right
    round for the street, I personaly prefer the 45 ACP, that's because I was trained to use the 1911 in the Marines,and it does nasty things to what you hit
    at close range, and i prefer the perp to be on the receiving end of the nasties,
    without the slug hitting old lady Smith who may have been crossing behind
    the perp

There is no guarantee that no matter what gun I carry, and or, what caliber I use, it will not hit it's mark and hit said old lady behind the perp. A .44 special round, especially in a short barreled revolver really isn't all that potent. If you are inferring that the round will hit bad guy, and then hit old lady behind him, you have seen one too many movies.

Yes, the Son of Sam used a Charter .44 Special.

T BONE I carry the same gun only in the 44 spcl with hornady xtp jhp for every day carry great gun for the price

Quote Originally Posted by richardoldfield View Post
    Close but no cigar. A lightweight 44 Special is a nice idea but an 18 oz revolver in this caliber kicks too much to be effective as a CCW weapon. Regards, Richard:)
    I disagree sir...
    If you were closer to Texas, I would let you shoot my titanium Tuarus 44 spl...Its weighs in at about 18 ozs....You would change your mind!
    USMC 1984-1992
    To err is human.
    To forgive is divine.
    Neither of which is Marine Corps policy.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

Quote Originally Posted by richardoldfield View Post

My S&W M296:
    I don't have any direct experience with the 296, but making such a broad statement is simply silly. It is your opinion that the lightweight .44 Specials kick too much. That does not necessarily make it fact for anyone but you.

I think that given the weight of a S&W340PD, .357 Mangum ammunition would kick too much to be useful for defense. Others disagree and carry that gun with magnum ammo and feel comfortable. Its all about what works for each person.

The .44 Special is neither a high pressue nor a high velocity cartridge (except with the some super lightweight JHPs for Cor-Bon and others). Given that, while it does recoil some, I don't find it unpleasant. I haven't shot the 296, but I suspect based on my experience that I wouldn't find the 296 to have more recoil that I would be comfortable with for defense. YMMV.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links