44 special for conceal carry

This is a discussion on 44 special for conceal carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What are some of the light weight 44 special`s and are they heavy on recoil. I`m not recoil sensitive but I have a S&W 442 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What are some of the light weight 44 special`s and are they heavy on recoil. I`m not recoil sensitive but I have a S&W 442 Airweight and can`t get it to shoot anything worth having. I also have a S&W 696 no dash which is a 44 spec and a fine revolver but it`s way too heavy for carry. I`m looking for some opinions from folks that already carry the 44 spec. and what they recommend.

Burch

Welcome to the Forum! Glad you joined!

Perhaps a different holster option for the Model 696? You can't do much better for .44 Special totin' than a Model 696.

I've never before seen so many folks fret over the weight of guns as in the past few years. Featherlight may be convenient for carrying but weight can be very good for shooting.

My EDC is a titanium Taurus model 445 44 spl . Recoil is not bad with the Cor-bon 165 gr. HP's or the 230 JHP I shoot in it. Its ported so that helps. If it wasn't ported it still would not be as as as my 357 Smith light weight stubbie.

Its light, shoots great and is easy to carry!
    USMC 1984-1992
    To err is human.
    To forgive is divine.
    Neither of which is Marine Corps policy.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Charter Bulldog. Several threads on it. Mostly favorable reviews.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I've never before seen so many folks fret over the weight of guns as in the past few years. Featherlight may be convenient for carrying but weight can be very good for shooting.
    Amen!!
    Clint Smith said it well in the March/April American Handgunner. Quoting Clint:

"Big guns are better than small ones for personal defense. Much ado - or as I prefer to call it whining - is made about how uncomfortable it is to carry. We need to get over it and move forward. The guns are not going to be easy or always comfortable, nor will they often match up with your choice of togs for going to the opera. Carrying a handgun for personal defense will require a behavior and dress code modification on your part. Accept it, work with it and get on with it. The fact is, being armed is far more important and comforting than any issues about clothing and personal comfort".

I personally carry guns in the 36-40 Oz weight range without any hardship. I don't own a 696 but sure wish I did.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Amen!!
    Clint Smith said it well in the March/April American Handgunner. Quoting Clint:

"Big guns are better than small ones for personal defense. Much ado - or as I prefer to call it whining - is made about how uncomfortable it is to carry. We need to get over it and move forward. The guns are not going to be easy or always comfortable, nor will they often match up with your choice of togs for going to the opera. Carrying a handgun for personal defense will require a behavior and dress code modification on your part. Accept it, work with it and get on with it. The fact is, being armed is far more important and comforting than any issues about clothing and personal comfort".

I personally carry guns in the 36-40 Oz weight range without any hardship. I don't own a 696 but sure wish I did.
    Well put on that article !!!!! A lot of people can`t afford a 696 no dash including myself. I just got lucky on this one and found it dirt cheap from someone that had more money than brains.

I carry a .45 long colt... very similar. I like it. Guaranteed to knock down a horse, or a large man.
    Honor, Courage, Virtue. These are what makes a man.
    "The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps."
    Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jarhead45 View Post
    I carry a .45 long colt... very similar. I like it. Guaranteed to knock down a horse, or a large man.
    With the right shot placement!!!
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar

Jacket pocket's best friend...

Bulldog. At 21 oz. empty, no huge deal. A bit large for pants pockets. Debating which OWB for it currently, but until Spring, the jacket will do (especially as a BUG). Recoil is quite manageable, more of a push really.

Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Thanks for sharing the photos T-bone. Have you considered replacing the synthetic rubber grips with wood ones or something similar to help make the pistol more concealable?

The stock grips are awesome. They fit my hand really well. Here are my boys:

My EDC 44 spl is in the middle between my little 38 and my sweetheart XD-45 compact!
    USMC 1984-1992
    To err is human.
    To forgive is divine.
    Neither of which is Marine Corps policy.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

fm2
    Danimal, those look nice. Who did the front sights? Action Jobs?

Magna Port with supplied XS Sights. They also did the jeweling and mini bobbing on the stainless .44.

I just bought a bead blaster and am planning on stripping the black off the other .44.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kipling View Post
    Thanks for sharing the photos T-bone. Have you considered replacing the synthetic rubber grips with wood ones or something similar to help make the pistol more concealable?
    Nope. Like Danimal says, the stock grips are awesome. Feel great in the hand, and do a nice job taming what recoil there is.

I do have a set of rubber Pachmyer grips for it which are smaller. Haven't fired it with those yet (I just like the stock grips so much!). Also thought of getting a Barami Hip Grip for it. But again, I like the stockers.

Even with smaller grips, I don't see this going in the pocket of my jeans (my usual attire). I have a P3AT and a PM9 for that roll, and I plan to pick up a J frame or two at some point (still considerably smaller and lighter). So there we have it. It'll be jacket pocket, IWB or OWB with the Bulldog for me.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links