Wilson, Nighthawk, Baer, Ed Brown

This is a discussion on Wilson, Nighthawk, Baer, Ed Brown within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have never owned a pistol more expensive than a Kimber and am thinking about buying one of the, known as, premium pistols. I am ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wilson, Nighthawk, Baer, Ed Brown

I have never owned a pistol more expensive than a Kimber and am thinking about buying one of the, known as, premium pistols. I am considering Ed Brown, Wilson, Nighthawk, or Baer. Which would you recommend? Once I determine the manufacturer, I'll get serious about which model of thier line.

Thanks
    NRA life member.

I'm a BIG fan of Nighthawk. I've had zero problems out of any of my NHC pistols, and I've owned 4. The only customer service issue I had was resolved quickly and above my expectations.
    I didn't like my Ed Brown Executive Elite enough to keep it. Nothing wrong with it, it just didn't "do it" for me.
    I did pickup a Ed Brown Special Forces to try again, but I have no rounds through it
    My Wilson Combat is a fine pistol, but...again, it doesn't "do it" for me like the Nighthawks.

My daily carry piece is either a Nighthawk Talon Ii bobtail for additional concealment or my standard Talon 5 inch 1911 with the blended magwell, both in diamond black.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

After selection between Nighthawk and Ed Brown I got Kobra Carry Ed Brown. Bobtail grip fits me perfect. Great shooter.
    Cons - pricey, regrets - none. Vodekz

I think they're all about the same. The one that "grabs" you is the likely call. My call was an Ed Brown Kobra Carry. The Bill Wilson Carry looks like a great way to spend 2800 extra dollars that one doesn't know what to do with. I hope to be there one day, but it won't be for awhile if ever. And I wouldn't turn down a Les Baer Concept VII if one was being given away. Of course, a Nighthawk T3 or Talon II is not a bad thing; no Sir-ee, not one bit.
    Freedom of speech does not excuse one from freedom of thought.

All very nice pistols and you can't go wrong.. my edc is a ed brown special forces, also have another one just for the range practice. both have had over 10k rounds no issues whatsoever. browns very reliable, eats any ammo.. good luck.. post pics once you buy

I've owned a bunch of Kimbers and they're fine pistols. Recently got the bug for something nicer, Wilson seemed to fit the bill.

I have a Wilson Protector and a CQB. The CQB has a few mods other than stock. Get one in your paws and you will feel the difference immediately. The CQB is my daily carry. Next in line I think is gonna be a CQB Compact. Good luck.

R.T.

Of the companies listed I like the Nighthawk T3, Wilson CQB, and the Ed Brown Special Forces Carry. My preference is towards the Nighthawk, their Damascus slides are pretty slick.

I fancy Roger's Precision 1911's, but I have never seen a price quoted.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

They're all great guns.

FWIW, my next big purchase will be a Wilson CQB compact. Alloy frame with a rounded butt.

Can't wait.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

bjh
    I currently have a Nighthawk T3 and a TIV. I think the fit and finish of both guns are excellent. I have had some feeding problems with the TIV, but some of that may be my shooting style. The T3 is an excellent gun, it is the exact same size as a commander, but the smaller frame allows you to have an extended well.

My next gun will have a rounded butt, and if made a lightweight alloy frame.

In the same price range I would buy a Les Baer.

Out of the list, I'm sure they are all excellent pistols. I can only speak for Wilson. The CQB Compact is an outstanding pistol. The trigger is superb. I highly recommend it. It's my most carried gun. I've put many rounds through a Wilson KZ, and it is also a great shooter at a good price. I had the opportunity to handle one of their Tactical Supergrade models at the local gun shop. Very nice! The slide top serrations are neat. Wish I could afford it.
    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

I'll also say that you can't go wrong with your list, but I would recommend you add Fusion to it. I bought a custom Fusion and I would put it against any other firearm.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    I've handled examples from each company you list. All exude quality and have great fit and finish. My money went to Wilson Combat for a full sized CQB. Been my most frequent carry ever since. My next high quality 1911 will probably be an Ed Brown. Choose any of the four and I doubt you can go wrong. But try to handle an example from each first if possible. One will probably "speak to you" more than the others, as has happened with a few of us in this thread.

And for the skeptics out there, who wonder "if they're worth it"? As an owner of two Sprinfield Loaded models, a Kimber Desert Warrior and a vintage Colt Series 70, all of which are very nice pistols I am happy to own, I'd have to say yes. They are worth it!
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

I looked at all of them, and ended up ordering a custom shop gun from the Springfield Custom Shop - Ordered it in Sept. I should have it in another month or two (a 9 month wait).

I have shot all but the LB and would vote Brown. I have rich friends with all the high end 1911's (except LB) and the Ed Browns are the only ones that run 100%. One friend owns a gun shop and got a Nighthawk 5", would not get through a full mag without issue. He sent it back, the said they fixed it, but it still does not go into battery. He had a well known local gunsmith fix it. I had a Wilson that made three trips back to the motherland to get fixed but it never was 100%.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links