XD or XDm?

This is a discussion on XD or XDm? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've come into a little extra cash and I'm going to buy a new 9mm. I'm trying to decide if the XDm is worth the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XD or XDm?

XD or XDm?

I've come into a little extra cash and I'm going to buy a new 9mm. I'm trying to decide if the XDm is worth the extra cost over the XD. Decisions....decisions!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    The XDm9 is definitely a gun I would buy. I have owned the original XD9 and its a good gun, but the XDm holds four more rounds and is not much bigger. It also has a match grade barrel and interchangeable back straps.

If I had to choose, I would buy the XDm9.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

The XDM is worth the extra bucks.
    NRA life member.

XDM. It's on my shopping list.

Quote Originally Posted by SubNine View Post
    .... I have owned the original XD9 and its a good gun, but the XDm holds four more rounds...
    Only three more, actually.

- OS

I love my XDm in .40 - 16+1 is GREAT!
    The grips are more aggresive, the slide serrations are more aggresive and you will like the trigger much more on the M. No contest as far as I am concerned!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

I had this exact same decision to make last week. I went with the original XD and I can tell you the reasons.

1. I am going to carry this gun and so far, there are not a lot of holsters being made for the XDM. I carry in a Blackhawk SERPA and Blackhawk doesn't make a SERPA for the XDM yet. I can wait until they do.

2. I checked and I couldn't even get an XDM ordered. No one had any suppliers that had any. Heck, for that matter, the supply of original XD's was pretty darn limited and I couldn't find exactly what I wanted, a Service model, XD .40 bi-tone. But I did find one for sale by a private individual in my area with only 250 rounds through it. So I jumped on it.

3. My wife carries an XD .40 sub compact so the mags from my gun will work in her gun.

I do want an XDM, in fact I want a 9mm and a .40 version. But I can wait for a little while until there are holsters, specifically the SERPA available for them.

My new carry gun.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I carry the XDm in .40. I have an IWB Crossbreed...(very comfortable) holster and I have an OWB Blackhawk CQC Serpa for it.

Quote Originally Posted by VTXDM40 View Post
    I carry the XDm in .40. I have an IWB Crossbreed...(very comfortable) holster and I have an OWB Blackhawk CQC Serpa for it.
    I checked the Blackhawk website and I did not see the XDM listed as available for the XDM. Does it work in the SERPA that was designed for the original XD?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

XD only as far as I have seen.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

I have the XDm and love it. Highly recommend it. I carry it around 4/5 o'clock, Comp-Tac MTac with a shirt over it and it disappears.

However, you will have more options when it comes to carry with the XD. Holsters, as mentioned are more plentiful as yet for the XD, and they're not yet making XDm in any form of compact...

If you're looking for full size though, I definitely vote XDm
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less."
    "Save in defense of my native State, with the sincere hope that my poor services may never be needed, I hope I may never be called on to draw my sword" - Gen. R. E. Lee

Thanks for all the input!

I have handled the XD...just did not impress me enough to replace my Glock. Now the XDm feels wonderful. If It had come out before the original XD, I probaby would be EDC with one.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by swaggs View Post
    I have the XDm and love it. Highly recommend it. I carry it around 4/5 o'clock, Comp-Tac MTac with a shirt over it and it disappears.

However, you will have more options when it comes to carry with the XD. Holsters, as mentioned are more plentiful as yet for the XD, and they're not yet making XDm in any form of compact...

If you're looking for full size though, I definitely vote XDm
    +1

Same with me, except I carry my MTac crossdraw. They won't be making a compact XDm, only the 4.5'' version. If you want smaller, go with the regular XD and save some bucks.
    I think I read somewhere that most holsters made for the XD tactical (5'') will fit the XDm's. A holster for the 4'' service size would be too short unless it has an open end. Don't quote me on that though.
    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

I have an XDm .40 and it's awsome. I also have an XD 9mm subcompact (which I like too), but they really improved the gripping of the XDm.

I've let a few other good shooters try my XDm, and each of them has been VERY impressed. I'm glad I bought mine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links