New trigger and a trip to the range

This is a discussion on New trigger and a trip to the range within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wow Brownells ships fast! I ordered a weighted dummy mag and a new Greider medium trigger for my Commander Friday afternoon and they arrived with ...

Thread: New trigger and a trip to the range

Wow Brownells ships fast! I ordered a weighted dummy mag and a new Greider medium trigger for my Commander Friday afternoon and they arrived with today's mail. Great service. So naturally I ignored the Chemistry homework I needed to get done and installed the new trigger. It went fairly smoothly, all except for the $*(@&*# lawyer levers. I'm starting to really dislike those things. Once I got the trigger shoe shaped to fit, I put it all back together with the lower lever installed backwards. Couldn't figure out why the mags wouldn't go in until I realized that part wasn't supposed to be sticking into the magwell. So it all came back apart and I got the stupid levers in the correct posistion. Great! Now I just need to put the slide back on. CLINK! What the... Oh great, now the upper lever is sticking up too far and blocking the slide! The new trigger bow is slightly longer than the old one, which is great because it eliminates the annoying take-up that the old trigger had. It's bad because it pushed the lower lever back farther, consequently raising the upper lever above the top of the frame. So I took it all apart again and started filing on the lower lever. 30 minutes and five trial-fit reassemblies later (all accomplished with surprisingly little cursing) the uppper lever stayed below the frame's top with the trigger forward. I slapped it all back together, dropped in a snap cap and took a few practice pulls. MUUUCH better. This is pretty much a perfect combat trigger now. It has just a tiny tiny bit of take-up, then the sear engages and breaks cleanly at about 5.5 lbs. A little bit heaver than I would prefer but still very usable. I even had enough time to finish the Chemistry homework before class! How's that for a productive afternoon?

Obviously this pistol could no longer fill in as the nightstand gun until it went to the range. So after class I loaded up the range bag and headed out. It put another 100 trouble-free rounds of FMJ downrange, and my groups tightened up noticeably. I'm still shooting a tad to the left, but it's improving. The new 22/45 went along for the ride as well. The first time out it had a lot of trouble feeding CCI pistol match ammo, which seemed odd. I detail stripped it after it's first range sesson and cleaned off all of the factory grease, which was very thick and sticky. I lubed it up with Tetra-gun grease and put it away. This time it fed 40 rounds of pistol match without a hitch. That stuff shoots very nice too, I wish it were cheaper. The American Eagle rounds I got shoot nearly as well though, so it's OK. The orange paint I put on the front blade helped the sight picture quite a bit too. Fiber optics are definitely in the future, but this will do for now.

Here's a pic of the Colt with the new trigger. I really like the way it looks. Once it gets a stainless trigger it'll look really sharp. Thanks for looking.
    Attached Images
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Nice solid trigger .. Glad ya like it

Assistant Administrator
    Isn't it tedious, to just get things back together - only to find that ''something'' stills needs that magic touch - and then reassemble, again! It does tho get easier each time

Don't forget with that 22/45, if you do have any extract issues - put in a Volquartsen extractor - it certainly made mine way better - and the cheaper the ammo it'll shoot reliably - the more shooting you can do!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator

The Series 80 Parts

You know that Brownell's sells a special spacer that fits into the frame. That spacer will allow you to "lose" the two Series 80 frame parts and then you also need to remove the firing pin block parts from the slide.
    You WILL have one extra "do nothing" hole on the underside of the slide but, nobody will ever see it.
    I do not want to suggest that you remove those CRITICAL Firing Pin Block Parts ...only letting you know that you CAN do it if you want to.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    You know that Brownell's sells a special spacer that fits into the frame. That spacer will allow you to "lose" the two Series 80 frame parts and then you also need to remove the firing pin block parts from the slide.
    You WILL have one extra "do nothing" hole on the underside of the slide but, nobody will ever see it.
    I do not want to suggest that you remove those CRITICAL Firing Pin Block Parts ...only letting you know that you CAN do it if you want to.
    Remember if you do Mr paranoid says don't ever carry that gun you shoot someone with a gun you removed a safety on is bad JUJU

Also don't lose those parts as there supposed to be factory fitted and unless you gun all used the #1 part and not the over sized #2-3 you can't ever replace with with out expensive trip to Colt

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links