What flavor?

This is a discussion on What flavor? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I voted for Sig,90% carry Glock 10% carry But I just ordered a Springfield XD-9 sub compact,And will put it in rotation....

View Poll Results: What self loading platform do you carry?

Voters
189. You may not vote on this poll

60 31.75%
  • Glock

40 21.16%
  • Sig Sauer

16 8.47%
  • Beretta

5 2.65%
  • Smith and Wesson

4 2.12%
  • HK

9 4.76%
  • Browning

6 3.17%
  • Ruger

3 1.59%
  • CZ

8 4.23%
  • Taurus

4 2.12%
  • XD

13 6.88%
  • Other (please say, can't possibly list them all)

21 11.11%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What flavor?

I voted for Sig,90% carry
    Glock 10% carry
    But I just ordered a Springfield XD-9 sub compact,And will put it in
    rotation.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I'm quite surprised that Glock isn't the highest pick. It is interesting that Glock, right now anyway, dominates LE, isn't it something like 65% of the market?

Plus, since the XD is a similar gun, with a more 1911 grip angle, I'm curious why one would choose a Glock over an XD, although I do understand Glock is more established and significantly more compact.

JT
    Amoung other reasons, I actually prefer the Glock grip angle to the 1911/XD grip angle.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle
    I'm quite surprised that Glock isn't the highest pick. It is interesting that Glock, right now anyway, dominates LE, isn't it something like 65% of the market?

Plus, since the XD is a similar gun, with a more 1911 grip angle, I'm curious why one would choose a Glock over an XD, although I do understand Glock is more established and significantly more compact.
    Perhaps this board attracts folks who have discriminating taste in firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle

Seems that, being more established, there'd also be a much larger selection of accessories available. I know our resident Leather Gurus are offering holsters for the XDs now - but outside of them, what's the market availability like? Seriously, I have no idea. Aftermarket mag availability (or factory XD45 mags for that matter), etc. plus I'd imagine some people are still waiting to make sure SA has any possible bugs worked out of the design.

Still, I agree. I thought it'd be:
    1. Glock
    2. Sig
    3. 1911
    separated by a thin margin, then HK, Kahr, etc. on down the list.

Wait a minute... How many times did Bruce vote???

Quote Originally Posted by maclean3
    Seems that, being more established, there'd also be a much larger selection of accessories available. I know our resident Leather Gurus are offering holsters for the XDs now - but outside of them, what's the market availability like? Seriously, I have no idea. Aftermarket mag availability (or factory XD45 mags for that matter), etc. plus I'd imagine some people are still waiting to make sure SA has any possible bugs worked out of the design.
    Not picking on you Maclean but to answer these questions:

-Yes the XD does have excellent aftermarket support in holsters. I've no idea why, they just do. I'm not complaining. I speculate because it's a gun a lot of people buy to carry.

-Aftermarket mags for the XD suck and are pointless because they often cost more than the factory mags and have lower capacities in some instances. The factory mags are very tight and of the highest quality at a very low price. I associate most problems with self loading pistols with the magazines and XD mags are steel rather than polymer like Glock's. That just makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

-I've dug around, XD45 mags are coming and street price should be $26. It's the price I pay for getting mine so early that I have to wait.

-Before it was the XD it was the HS2000. It's been around long enough to work out some of the kinks. The latest was the corrossion issue and hopefully soon all new XDs will not have that problem. Before that, first shot flyer syndrome was rampant but that's been knocked out too. 1911's have more instances of bugs than XDs do.

It's just a good platform. Not necessarily better, but it is different and it is good. I'm even thinking about another one.

It's not really a very fun gun, but it's great for carry and imho it has all the features a handgun needs to do serious social work.

Buy one now before the word gets out and prices skyrocket.

Euc, I agree it seems to be a great gun. If I had more disposable income I'd own at least two (XD9 sub and XD45 ACP of course). Wasn't knocking the XD in speaking of accessories, I seriously didn't know what's available as I've never had a reason to look. Still might get one at some point but there are a few things on my list before it - mainly getting the Mil-Spec ready for carry. By the time I get around to it maybe they'll have a compact .45 on the market.

Prices on mags and the guns themselves are really attractive right now. They seem to be selling really well in the shops I've talked to here so I expect the price WILL climb shortly. Right now the XD's like a well kept secret. Also agree with your earlier thread: I'd rather be able to buy the gun with extra mags or a weapons light (XML?) than that kydex gear they're pushing.
    Jack

Kimber TLE/RL or Springfield TRP

Kahr 9
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

Quote Originally Posted by BCurry1
    C'mon Glock Fans, get to voting. There's gotta be more than four of us.
    OD G27

My CC flavor is Glock (vote number 20), and sometimes a S & W Model 642 Airweight in an Uncle Mike's Sidekick pocket holster.

After reading what folks have to say about other guns, I may now look into expanding my collection.
    Last edited by Nick; February 10th, 2006 at 10:08 AM.
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them."
    George Mason

"Gun control is a job-safety program for criminals."
    John R. Lott

Just picked this up abit ago. S&W638 Airweight .38 for $349.

Got it for pocket carry/CCW and for the wife to shoot. Hope it works out for her, being she's never shot before.

John

My carry gun as of late is a Glock 29 In 10mm. My other is a Ruger 97 . I usually use the Ruger as my truck gun.

erh
    Usually one of these:

or others locked in the safe... Collection seems to change & grow fairly often...
    Eric Howland
    Savannah, GA.

Question Q?

Quote Originally Posted by erh
    Usually one of these:

or others locked in the safe... Collection seems to change & grow fairly often...
    Okay what is the gun under the Kahr on the left second row from the top? It looks like a smith revolver with a bobbed hammer. Was that mod YOUR idea and execution or did it come from the factory that way? What caliber is that revolver and how much does it weight? Light enough for a front pocket on your pants?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links