Does anyone make a Titanium 1911

This is a discussion on Does anyone make a Titanium 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know it would be very pricey, but it would be awesome for weight reduction. I don't know anyone other that S&W using Titanium for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Does anyone make a Titanium 1911

Does anyone make a Titanium 1911

I know it would be very pricey, but it would be awesome for weight reduction. I don't know anyone other that S&W using Titanium for frames and I think it's only revolvers.
    2A is not negotiable

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    Caspian makes the frames.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Senior Moderator
    I built two based on a Caspian Titanium frame and carbon steel slide and another with a SS slide - neither worked well. A friend built one as well at the same time I did and his didn't work either.

It turns out that Ti tends to gall easily. For about 30 rounds everything went pretty well, then they started failing to eject and feed cleanly. Caspian let me swap one of the Ti frames for a carbon steel frame.

Caspian claimed, at the time, that guns with Ti frames needed to be fitted a little looser than carbon steel or SS. I did not find that to be true for either of my efforts.

Gunsite made some Ti framed 1911s and claimed they didn't have probs with them, but I wonder about that.

You notice a complete void of Ti frames in any major manufacturers of 1911 line up - there's bound to be a reason for that. In fact, I'm not aware of any semi available from any manufacturer with a Ti frame.
    DRM likes this.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

I have noticed the void. Almost all of them are SS or aluminum. My Kimber has an aluminum frame and it has yet to be an issue. It dissipates heat very well too. Sounds like heat might affect Titanuim more than the tolerances will allow.
    2A is not negotiable

BAC
    Not heat, necessarily, but the physical properties of titanium itself. It is not a good metal for parts that incur repeated the harsh striking motions (as you'd find in most gun parts). For non-moving and non-striking parts, titanium can be great, if expensive.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Senior Moderator
    Pretty much what I concluded. Ti seems to be especially incompatible with sliding motions under load such as the slide on the frame.

OTOH, my S&W Ti revolver has given me no probs. which suggests it's tough enough, it just isn't well suited for sliding motions.

bjh
    Nighthawk made one.

Caspian recommends a carburizing treatment for the rails on their titanium 1911 receivers. I'm not sure if they do it themselves, or if they farm it out to someone else, but it apparently eliminates the galling problem just about completely.

I'd bet the Gunsite guns that ran 100% had this done to them.
    Aceoky likes this.

Senior Moderator
    That must be new; they sure didn't mention it to me when I was having problems.

Still, if that's the solution, you'd think some major manufacturers would be offering Ti framed 1911s and non-1911 types as well.

Administrator
    The galling problem could also likely be solved by giving the Titanium a Titanium Nitride coating.
    Aceoky likes this.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    The Ti carbide or nitride coating on the parts of the frame the slide contacts (frame rails) hardens the Ti and makes it very slick. The material itself is about twice as expensive as steel or Al, so that is one reason there is a lack of Ti offerings. The another issue is that it does not save much weight over steel as Al. But Al starts to lose strength as soon as it is stressed, where Ti is like steel in that it takes a certain minimum amount of stress before it starts to lose strength, so you could shoot it for as long (or longer) than a steel frame. Last, but not least, Ti is very difficult to machine and wears out tools quickly.

But I would love to have a Caspian Ti framed Commander size 1911. I know a gunsmith who isn't busy with his day job right now....

Predetor tactical Jackal

These guys make a titanium 1911, pricey , but I've hear nothing good things about these guy I found them on Facebook is love to get the 10 mm bit they sold the right to it an can not make anymore in that caliber stil a sick!!!! Gun I knw the post is old but anyway it help one a I guys out

Take a look at this an tell me u just have to have it. All I can do if dream or hope they do payment plans wish me luck

Kevin Kamerath Ken Santiago Glenn Lazaroo Dean Blum we will make it in .40, 9mm, and .45. any topend configuration you want except 10mm. Price starts at $3950 - there is no dealer or distributor pricing on this pistol. It took 12 months just to get the 5 frames. We will only build 4 more guns of this type. Call me to set up a build. Time will range depending on option selection 2-7 months for the build. 602-790-8838 or try dialing **predator from your cell phone.

Administrator
    This is truly High-Tech.

This place does Explosion Welding of Stainless Steel rails to a Lightweight Aluminum or Titanium frame. Cool Beans!

New Lightweight 1911 Pistol - Explosively Bonded Metals

The Explosively Bonded Metal Solution

The Uselton 1911 offers the SOLUTION for a lightweight carry weapon without sacrificing the durability of an all stainless steel frame. This company has been using explosive metal welding techniques to produce materials that allow engineers to combine different metal types in a single metal work piece, thereby leveraging the qualities of one type of metal (lightweight, thermal conductivity, etc.) with the qualities of another type of metal (strength, corrosive, resistance, etc.) The explosive welding techniques bonds metals at the molecular level resulting in a virtually unbreakable weld joint. This process is currently used to produce custom composite metal components for a variety of commercial uses including: space and naval applications, power plants, and within the chemical manufacturing industry. Now, with “The Uselton 1911” that same technology is being introduced to the firearms industry with these new composite metal Model 1911 bodies, which are 40% to 60% lighter than steel alternatives, without sacrificing durability in high wear areas. While Uselton Arms is initially targeting 1911’s with this technology, it is certainly applicable to other firearms that are of a similar design.

sensei2 and Aceoky like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by LeCalsey View Post
    I know it would be very pricey, but it would be awesome for weight reduction. I don't know anyone other that S&W using Titanium for frames and I think it's only revolvers.
    S&W has only used Ti for revolver cylinders. They use a scandium/aluminum alloy for frames and have made both revolver and 1911 frames out of it.
    Never forget. Never forgive.

Infinity Firearms

SVI TiKi

dan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links