Kimber Compact CDP II 1911

This is a discussion on Kimber Compact CDP II 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I really want the compact CDP II because it has the officer's grip (7round) and a 4" barrel. I plan on making this my ...

So I really want the compact CDP II because it has the officer's grip (7round) and a 4" barrel. I plan on making this my EDC, but unfortunately I cannot find any store in my area that has one in stock, I can special order them and get it in 8-12 weeks. The only problem is I'm 98% sure I want this gun, but I haven't been able to get my hands on it so I can shove it in my pants to see how it would feel for EDC. I have searched this site and many others about this gun and have only heard great things. If you have one I would love to see pictures from all angles so I can really see what it looks like, the pics on Kimber's site look nice, but I only get to see 1 angle. I would also like to know a little more about the take down... is it like the 3" (Recoil Spring Assembly) or the 5" (Recoil Spring Plug Style)? Also I woulds love to hear your experience with these pistols as your EDC.

Thanks,
    Monkey

Monkey,

This is mine I just bought. I love it, weight is perfect for carry and shorter grip works for me. You have to use the provided tool to hold the spring for disassembly and I have found that getting the tool out is kind of a problem. Maybe will get easier with time. It does not just fall out like the manual says. Also do not depress the grip safety when removing the slide! Manual states this is not covered under warranty if the rod in the frame is damaged due to improper disassembly. Other than that it is a great weapon. I think you will love it. I know I do.

yeah yeah safety is off. flog me now. thank you.
    Last edited by redwood66; February 18th, 2009 at 03:44 PM.
    Woman With A Gun

Experience teaches us that it is much easier to prevent an enemy from posting themselves than it is to dislodge them after they have got possession. - George Washington

That is beautiful. Thanks for the pics.

I love mine. It was my first 1911. It's great to carry in the summer time because of the short grip, plus it's a beautiful pistol. I replaced the wood grips with the black rubber because the wood grips were not comfortable against my luuuvvve handles. I really love the way those wood grips look though. You won't be disappointed.

VIP Member
    I have an Ultra Carry and love it. The grip is the hardest part to conceal, so I think you'll be fine with the compact. It may be the best compromise between concealability and shootability. The extra inch of barrel won't be noticeable when carrying, but will be helpful when shooting. I couldn't find a compact when I was shoppping, so I got the Ultra Carry. I'm still thinking about getting a compact.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Monkey, great choice

Redwood66,
    That's Sweeeeet, is that for CCW?

I have to take some better pictures of mine
    Ultra Carry II LG see my avatar

Get it!

Yes it is for EDC and thank you. I thought I would use it secondary to my M&P9c but I love it so much that will probably not happen. Everyone on this forum was helpful in providing info before I made my purchase. I was looking at a Crimson Carry Ultra until I found this one on another shelf in the case. I have gone a little crazy with the holster thing though. I ordered a thunderbird from Kevin at K&D but I also ordered 3 regulators from Nate at UBG for this one and two of our other pistols. (M&P9c and a Kimber Ten II)

Since we did not have any decent holsters for EDC then I guess getting set up was quite expensive. But a good holster is necessary as everyone here will tell you.

Monkey - I say order it and you will be absolutely pleased.
    Woman With A Gun

Experience teaches us that it is much easier to prevent an enemy from posting themselves than it is to dislodge them after they have got possession. - George Washington

I use mine for EDC but no pix.....love the bevelled edges, never have a snag...and the ease in which you can (un)holster it is nice.

F

I have the 4" and 3". Both are very reliable and well done. Two things IMO are a must for a carry pistol; night sights and laser. I added the Crimson Trace laser grips to both my CDP's and between the night sights and laser I have not found a time when I could not take sight on a target.
    Both have been surprisingly reliable right out of the box.
    One thing to keep in mind is magazines with the metal followers can damage the aluminum frame at the ramp. Use wilson mags. with the plastic followers. I have one 7 round mag in the handle and carry to 8 round mags.
    I also added Kimbers mag chute which helps with reloads and makes the grip approx. 3/16" longer. Still shorter than the standard grip, and it gives slightly more for you to hang on to.
    IMO you will not got wrong with the CDP line.
    By the way, these pistols are pretty accurate. More than once I have been able to put 2 or 3 rounds into a ragged hole at 30' before I mess it up.
    Best wishes.

Links