XD Issue

This is a discussion on XD Issue within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Friends, I have been just buried at work until last Friday. So on Saturday, Monday and Tuesday (Feb. 14, 16 and 17, 2009), I hit ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: XD Issue

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar

XD Issue

Friends, I have been just buried at work until last Friday. So on Saturday, Monday and Tuesday (Feb. 14, 16 and 17, 2009), I hit the range.

And hard. I shot and shot and shot and shot. I got my 10-gauge scoped in (it's awesome - - it freaking SHREDS targest inside 30 yards or so - - there is nothing left in the middle of the "C" after shooting a "Shoot N' C" ).

I broke one gun (and I've posted about it).

My XD-45, which had been, up until then, one of the few, true 100% guns I've had experienced a problem yesterday afternoon.

I loaded up a mag or two with some Wolf 230-grain FMJ, pulled the trigger, and NOTHING HAPPENED. I did it four times. Same result.

I got the rounds out, and looked them over. Little dents in the primers, but no "bang".

I put them into my Colt New Agent, and they fired.

Anyone ever hear of light primer strikes from an XD-45?

Anyone ever had problems with stubborn primers in Wolf Ammo?

I've had that XD by my bed for more than a couple of years now, owing to its up-to-now perfect (I mean absolutely flawless - - reliable, accurate, etc.) performance.

Now I am having doubts. Do I sell it? Do I only load it wth the good stuff?

Do I go back to a revolver as a bedside?

Any input at all would be welcome here, folks.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    My thoughts:

If it has been 100% up until you put cheap Wolf ammo in it why would you even consider selling it because it didn't like cheap ammo?

Stick with good ammo and enjoy a great gun. Its the ammo that is unreliable in the XD you have, not the XD itself.

The chamber in the XD probably doesn't like the aluminum cases of the Wolf ammo and likely doesn't go fully into battery.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

How many rounds have you put through it?

Have you ever detail stripped and cleaned the slide?
    Springfield Armory XD and HS2000.com
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

its that Wolf crap....never use that stuff unless its for a rifle is what I been told.
    Springfield XDm-40
    XDsc-40

Id like to fly...but my wings have been so denied!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    The chamber in the XD probably doesn't like the aluminum cases of the Wolf ammo and likely doesn't go fully into battery.
    Not aluminum. Steel.
    If it didn't go fully into battery it wouldn't have fired. Which we must assume it did, since the primers were dented.

I've never heard of an XD of any caliber that wouldn't fire any viable ammo, assuming it were still mechanically sound.

Saying that, though - obviously if it will shoot every other brand of ammo you run through it, it would have to be something hinky with that batch of the Wolf.

- OS

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by randytulsa2 View Post

1. Anyone ever hear of light primer strikes from an XD-45?

2. Anyone ever had problems with stubborn primers in Wolf Ammo?

3. Do I sell it?

4. Do I only load it wth the good stuff?

5. Do I go back to a revolver as a bedside?

1. Yes.
    2. Yes.
    3. Yes.
    4. Shouldnt have to, but apparently you need to. See #1-3
    5. If you want too, or get a premium auto.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Tally: good point, and one with which I am inclined to agree. On the other hand, the Colt just shot the snot out of the Wolf. The XD had on other range trips as well.

Maybe, as matiki says, a good cleaning needs to take place...

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Damn, there's Sixto again with the common sense answer that's so obvious I feel silly asking the question.

What would you have done if you hadn't been a police officer?

And to answer Matiki - - many, many hundreds and thousands of rounds.

If it were me, I'd detail strip it, clean and lube it well.

If nothing else, it will give you a chance for a close visual inspection and make it easier to pawn off on (err... sell to) someone else if you have lost faith in it.

In fact, PM me if you do decide to sell it. I'm a sucker.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

One of the big culprits behind light primer strikes in striker fired guns is crap in the firing pin channel. Some sort of stuff (lube, lint, whatever) may have been accumulating in the firing pin channel. Wolf generally has pretty hard primers, so problems would show up with it before they do with other ammo, but if this is the problem it will start happening with softer primers eventually. Detail strip it (or have a gunsmith detail strip it for you) and check out the firing pin and channel.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    1. Yes.
    2. Yes.
    3. Yes.
    4. Shouldnt have to, but apparently you need to. See #1-3
    5. If you want too, or get a premium auto.
    Ah SIXTO, that subtle XD hater side you have is showing again.
    Not every gun that isn't a Glock is crap. Even the vaunted Gaston "Jackass" Glock has put out a lemon or two. I owned one, a model 17 that broke repeatedly in almost every way imaginable.

The problem can be attributed to the crappy Wolf ammo most likely. I wouldn't use that stuff in my AK.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

sounds to me like one of two problems,
    1) firing pin is getting worn down, or a piece chipped off.
    2) some kind of obstruction or partial obstruction in the firing pin channel like was already mentioned.

I have put probably 2000 - 2500 rounds through my XDm in the last month or so and have had ONE, count em, ONE misfire of any type... a type 3 that I think I "limp wristed" on. 500 or so of those rounds were 10 hour days outside in minus 10 degree weather, shoot a few here, wait a while, shoot a few more, wait a while, do some transition drills.... etc etc. XD's are on par with Glocks as far as reliability in my opinion.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Friends, I have been just buried at work until last Friday. So on Saturday, Monday and Tuesday (Feb. 14, 16 and 17, 2009), I hit the range.

And hard. I shot and shot and shot and shot. I got my 10-gauge scoped in (it's awesome - - it freaking SHREDS targest inside 30 yards or so - - there is nothing left in the middle of the "C" after shooting a "Shoot N' C" ).

I broke one gun (and I've posted about it).

My XD-45, which had been, up until then, one of the few, true 100% guns I've had experienced a problem yesterday afternoon.

I loaded up a mag or two with some Wolf 230-grain FMJ, pulled the trigger, and NOTHING HAPPENED. I did it four times. Same result.

I got the rounds out, and looked them over. Little dents in the primers, but no "bang".

I put them into my Colt New Agent, and they fired.

Anyone ever hear of light primer strikes from an XD-45?

Anyone ever had problems with stubborn primers in Wolf Ammo?

I've had that XD by my bed for more than a couple of years now, owing to its up-to-now perfect (I mean absolutely flawless - - reliable, accurate, etc.) performance.

Now I am having doubts. Do I sell it? Do I only load it wth the good stuff?

Do I go back to a revolver as a bedside?

Any input at all would be welcome here, folks.
    I had the same issue with wolf ammo in my XD 45 ACP 5" Tactical. I put up a review of the brand here. Let me know your thoughts as well.

Administrator
    Damn, there's Sixto again with the common sense answer that's so obvious I feel silly asking the question.

What would you have done if you hadn't been a police officer?
    I'd be one of those grumpy old guys sitting in the balcony of the Muppet Theater.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Ah SIXTO, that subtle XD hater side you have is showing again.
    Not every gun that isn't a Glock is crap.
    Yes, I have a strong dislike for the XD, no question about that, and I'll say "I told you so" as often as I can ... but I'm far from a Glock fan boy. In fact, I've sold all my Glocks with the exception a 2 G19's. One is my wifes and the other is a beater SHTF gun.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    One of the big culprits behind light primer strikes in striker fired guns is crap in the firing pin channel. Some sort of stuff (lube, lint, whatever) may have been accumulating in the firing pin channel. Wolf generally has pretty hard primers, so problems would show up with it before they do with other ammo, but if this is the problem it will start happening with softer primers eventually. Detail strip it (or have a gunsmith detail strip it for you) and check out the firing pin and channel.
    I'd definitely start here. 95+% that this fixes your problem.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links