Glock and Walther PPSs are no good for CC, heres why

This is a discussion on Glock and Walther PPSs are no good for CC, heres why within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just dont like striker-fire guns for DC. the glock is the shovel of auto pistols and the PPS is a great ultra concealable gun, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock and Walther PPSs are no good for CC, heres why

I just dont like striker-fire guns for DC. the glock is the shovel of auto pistols and the PPS is a great ultra concealable gun, but as wonderfully great they may seem for DC, that striker-fire system makes them a no go imo. fact is, if you are unlucky enought to have to use your CC gun to defend yourself, then you may just be unlucky enough to have a dud chambered and ready to fail you.

now if you have a DA/SA or DA only gun, you can simply pull the trigger again and 99.999% of the time that will make the dud fire and boom your back in action.

sure you can say, well, all Id have to do is pull the slide back and load another round. great! but what if your off hand is unavailable? what if all you have is 1/2 second to react? you can pull that trigger 3 or 4 times in a second easy, can you pull the trigger, action the slide(assuming your off hand is available) and pull the trigger again in 1/2 second?

just my $0.02

now let the hate pour on in I can already feel it coming
    They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -- Benjamin Franklin

NRA member/TSRA member

G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

Well, good point. However, it isn't stopping me from carrying my GLOCK in condition one, with a couple of mags, at the ready - maybe a back-up as well.
    Trying to leave as large a carbon footprint as possible.
    Shivering in the "heat"
    Innocent as doves, wise as serpents, armed like wolves.

"Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

They are no good because you don't like striker fired guns? Please give us a particular make and model of firearm and ammo that can be 100% reliable 100% of the time.

VIP Member
    Guns and cartridges are man-made products, it's possible they could fail. Human's are fallible and subject to failure also. By all means carry whatever you're confident in........that's what I do.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    Seriously... A dud? When was the last time you encountered a dud in a box of good self defense ammo? I've NEVER had one, in hundreds of thousands of (mostly military issue) ammo. I'm willing to take the "trade-off" in having one of the most reliable handguns ever made vs. getting the one in a million chance of a "dud." And then, assuming you get that one-in-a-million dud, what do you think are the chances of that second strike setting it off? This is about as low as low-probability goes... But, if it helps you sleep better at night, whatever. Meanwhile, most of the folks who use guns for a living will stick with their Glocks, XDs, M&Ps, etc.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I think you just wrote this so you would get some fan mail... The GLOCKERS in the group have been pretty good to you... however we can be a evil bunch.

I've never had a dud in a handgun.
    I've had some cheap 22 ammo fail in a rifle a couple of times but you kind of get what you pay for..................

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    My Glock 19, Glock 26, and XD45 ACP all have yet to fail me. I can't say the same for my Ruger SR9 because I haven't shot it yet.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Lead Moderator
    Proper training to clear a misfire is a better way of dealing with this , rather than writing off striker fired pistols. Duds IMO are less common than feed issues with any semi. Knowing how to fight through any jam /issue will help you more than anything else. But since you say I cannot/ should not carry my striker fired pistol , what do you suggest?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

No problem with my GLOCK to date!
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

WOW...some people just like attention.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

You know what they say about opinions....

If you don't like striker fired handguns don't carry one, but your opinion that they're no good for concealed carry/self defense doesn't stand up to the facts and the proven history of the operating system.

All of those LEOs who have been carrying Glocks and have used them for years to successfully defend themselves and civilians is not proof enough that they are reliable? I don't agree with that statement.
    God bless our troops!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links