Taurus 431 .44 Special Experience?

This is a discussion on Taurus 431 .44 Special Experience? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A local dealer has a used Taurus 431 .44 Special he just took in trade. Its blued with a 3" barrel (and fixed sights obviously). ...

A local dealer has a used Taurus 431 .44 Special he just took in trade. Its blued with a 3" barrel (and fixed sights obviously). I checked it out today, and the lockup was good, timing seems fine, trigger wasn't anything to write home about, but it is serviceable, bore looks good, and the finish is pristine. He had $300 on it, but said he would sell it to me for $250. I had him put it aside for me and told him I'd let him know tomorrow if I want it for sure or not. Seems like a great deal for the shape the gun is in, but I wanted to get some input on the 431 in general. I know its out of production, and its from the days before the Taurus hammer lock, so that makes it more attractive to me. I just don't like or want any sort of lock on my firearms.

Anyway, some input on the 431 would be great. I'm not concerned about ammo costs. I handload and already have the dies and such necessary to load .44 Special. It will cost me the same to shoot as .45ACP and I won't have to pickup brass.

TIA
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

I have had good luck with Taurus revolvers so I say go for it! I bought a S&W 431 .32 magnum that was in very good condition and has been discontinued. So don't let the fact that it is no longer made dissuade you in your decision. You may be sorry later on that you passed on a good gun that you wanted, and now, can no longer find.
    God bless our troops!

I remember reading a post by a very well known smith regarding Taurus revolvers. He said something to the effect : when you compare the external fit and finish on a Taurus vs a Smith, there is little difference, but the Taurus sells for much less, that's because they skimp on the internals. You can make them as good on the inside as a smith, but you will spend more in the end.

that being said, $250.00 would seem to be a steal. Just know its not a Smith.

My dad has the Taurus 3" 44 sp. and it is a good shooting pistol. I have the 2 1/2" Tracker in 44 mag. and it has been solid also.
    "To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace" George Washington

Links