9mm Cougar (Safety switch) HELP

9mm Cougar (Safety switch) HELP

This is a discussion on 9mm Cougar (Safety switch) HELP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello Friends, I have question to ask about my primary handgun - 9mm Cougar. When you insert magazine and then you cocked it. Hammer was ...

Thread: 9mm Cougar (Safety switch) HELP

Question 9mm Cougar (Safety switch) HELP

Hello Friends,

I have question to ask about my primary handgun - 9mm Cougar. When you insert magazine and then you cocked it. Hammer was clicked back. When I turn Safety switch on. Hammer kicked back in. Why ?

If I had to draw my firearm. I will have to turn safety switch off and then pull hammer. I would like to have hammer stay back with safety switch on. Is there something I can adjustment inside the firearm ? Many thanks!

Administrator
    Thats your decocker. Its supposed to do that. Don't fool with your internals, you'll shoot your eye out.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Thats your decocker. Its supposed to do that. Don't fool with your internals, you'll shoot your eye out.

Decocker.... Ok. Is it good to have one? Other firearm doesnt have decocker. Need an opinion.

P.S. Thanks for quick response!

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    was that a Christmas Story reference?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

VIP Member
    Your gun has a safety/decocker mechanism that operates like the safety/decocker that Bersa uses on their guns. You do not need to thumb the hammer back after releasing the safety, just squeeze the trigger. Your initial trigger pull will be longer and heavier as with any double action pistol, your follow up shots will be shorter and crisper in the single action mode. There is nothing wrong with your gun and nothing needs to be messed with.

I would suggest you re-read your owners manual for the gun, it should explain all of this to you. If you don't have a manual call the manufacturer and they will send you one for free. Please make sure you read and understand the operation instructions for your gun before carrying it. After reading the instructions, if your still unsure take it to someone who is qualified and have them instruct you in the operation of it.

Decocker.... Ok. Is it good to have one? Other firearm doesnt have decocker. Need an opinion.
    It basically is individual preference on which you like best. Some manufacturers build the same gun in different configurations, on model with conventional safety and a model with a decocker lever. The advantage to a decocker is it allows you to lower the hammer without having to depress the the trigger. The main disadvantage is the longer double action pull for your first shot.
    Last edited by archer51; February 19th, 2009 at 12:05 PM. Reason: added info

Carry it with one in the chamber, uncocked. Your first pull will be longer (Double action), the rest will be single action as the pistol cocks itself.

As already stated the gun is just fine, but you need some education. Nothing wrong with that, I always read the manual from start to finish and I have been around firearms for 40 years!! Enjoy the Cougar, is it the Beretta version or the Stoeger? I have been looking for a Stoeger locally with zero luck!! They are great guns which ever one you have.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    As already stated the gun is just fine, but you need some education. Nothing wrong with that, I always read the manual from start to finish and I have been around firearms for 40 years!! Enjoy the Cougar, is it the Beretta version or the Stoeger? I have been looking for a Stoeger locally with zero luck!! They are great guns which ever one you have.
    Yes its the Stoeger. This is my first firearm, bought it about 2 months ago. I wasnt not sure about the decocker. Just wanted to make sure that it was supposed to be like that. Now I understand.

I don't like the decocker. Now that I've said that, I have a Berretta Cougar and the PX4 subcompact, which both have decockers. I like the guns and 'deal' with it.

What gets me is that they have versions they make that do not have them, one has no safety and one has a flip safety... the problem is that they will not sell them in the USA due to liability lawsuits by idiots.

Think of the decocker as a safety, as soon as you flip it off.... if you pull the trigger it will shoot. After the first shot the hammer will stay back ... and the trigger pull about 1/2 from what it was on the first one.. ..

What concerns me is the I've had it 2 months and after cocking it when I put the safety on the hammer drops.People need to read the instruction manuals you get with the firearm,that gun is not made to carry with the hammer cocked and I really hope that you never carried it like that.Even I will read an instruction manual for a new gun ,sometimes there are pertinent things about the gun such as do not dry fire this gun it will damage it etc.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Links