Defensive Carry banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

final conclusions about stiker-fire CCWs

3K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  Bumper 
#1 ·
fact is Ive just been trying to see whats the best all round, all situation ccw. from what I gather, that all depends on the individual and their specific circumstances and training. If your trained enough to quickly rack your autopistol onehanded, then thats great! I would say the glock is probably your best bet for a ccw. if your not so good at that technique than I would probably go with a sig, or an hk. if your not proficient with onehanded racking but are a really darn good shot under stress, two or one handed than Id say a 5 shot snubby would be your first choise.

carry what you want, im not here to criticize what people like, im just throwing this out there is all, and all things considered, I'll look into shooting training classes as well as onehanded racking.

#2 ·
:smoke23:

#4 ·
I'm going to divert this a bit further just for fun.... Did anyone see last friday's episode of Terminator where she points the Glock to the back of the doctor's back and you hear the "click" of a hammer?

sorry, back to the regularly scheduled arguement

:Flush:

#5 ·
#6 ·
the original thread was me playing devils advocate, im not trying to troll here, I am genuinly open to counter arguments and got a really good one in the idea of onehanded belt racking if that one in onehundred million of a chance situation. i just want to learn more about how best to CC, whats the best gun for me in my current level of training and my size, what the best carry method, what the best holster and holster method. etc.

im not new to guns or shotting, but am completely green when it come to conceal carrying, so i am just considering all things, playing devils advocate, so as to inspire serious thought and consideration. and so far Ive read some very good ideas from here. I hope more keep coming.

#7 ·
You'll get more constructive answers if you just come out and ask a question rather than pulling the pin on the grenade and throwing it over the fence.:gah:

#9 ·
yeah, ummm....this looks familiar. I predict only a matter of time before once again this one is closed.

Playing devils advocate and telling a large group of people they are stupid for carrying a certain weapon are two different things.

#10 ·
If your trained enough to quickly rack your autopistol onehanded, then thats great! I would say the glock is probably your best bet for a ccw. if your not so good at that technique than I would probably go with a sig, or an hk.
Everyone should know know how to clear malfunctions one-handed.

#11 ·
everyone should speak at least 2 or 3 languages, have a masters degree, remember every phone number in thier cell phone contact list and climb a mountain in alaska, but not everyone has the spare time after going to work,running a family and trying to find time to sleep and shoot in the middle of all that. If everyone really needed to know how to clear malfunctions one handed, then im sure it would be a globally taught technique in every CHL class. but its not.

#12 ·
If everyone really needed to know how to clear malfunctions one handed, then im sure it would be a globally taught technique in every CHL class. but its not.
So then the perils of striker fired firearms is either an illusion or you have multiple personalities and enjoy arguing with yourself.

#13 ·
no, the perils, though rare at best are real, your frame of logic is whats the illusion here

#16 ·
My CCW class in KY started with the assumption that you already KNEW the basics of gun safety and how to take care of your weapon. My instructor had us take apart our weapon and if we couldn't put it back together (some actually couldn't do it) then they were given their money back and sent home with the pieces of their weapon in a sandwich bag.
The class was given to provide you with an understanding of the laws and how and when to exercise your right to defend yourself.
BTW, I carry a striker fired pistol and trust it implicitly with my life and the life of my children. This is after over a thousand rounds with no failures, though I do practice for failures.

#17 ·
well, as i said before, i will definately look into further defensive shooting training beyond the chl class. i will also make sure to ask about onehanded racking if its not already addressed.

as i also said before, im not knocking glocks, and now that i am aware of onehanded racking training, im sure glocks can make great realiable dc guns, but am i convinced they are as reliable dc guns as a revolver or a sig? No. nor are alot of other critical thinkers capable of seeing beyond all the glock hype.

#19 ·
Dude, people are happy to help and offer opinion. If you have a specific question then go ahead and ask it. But threads that are blatently combatitive toward specific equipment, guns, or people don't stay open long.

#20 ·
Anyone this worried about the perils of striker fired misfires probably has just as many things to worry about with other autos as well.

What do you think about "cocked and locked"?

How about carrying with one in the chamber?

How about no safety?

If you are this paranoid about things you are probably a candidate for revolver carry.

Hey, wait a minute! That's me!:embarassed:

If I get a misfire I immediately click again - on a fresh round. (One of the advantages of revolver carry).

If I misfire on a couple in a row I'm running for the hills - it's probably not my day for a gunfight.:gah:

#24 ·
After thousands of rounds fired through a Glock over the last 15 years or so, and carrying one as my primary duty weapon, BUG, off duty weapon, and now CCDW weapon I can honestly say that having to do a one handed rack, or clear a jam of any kind hasn't been an issue, as I've never had a single jam from my good ole' G22 or G27.

As for that, I can say the same for my Sig229, but I haven't shot near as many rounds through it.

I did have a S&W snub lock up once on me though, cylinder wouldn't turn, wouldn't open; I had to send it back to S&W to be repaired. It was a brand new snub .38, and I had only shot a box or so of ammo through it. They said it had a timing issue from the factory. Repaired it free of charge, but there was no way to clear that jam, so don't foolishly think wheel guns are absolutely trouble free, rare problems yes, but they can have issues too.

Clearing a jam from an auto including a one hand rack, regardless of make, isn't exactly rocket science anyway.......

If it is really such a concern, buy a Glock or Sig and you shouldn't ever have a problem anyway. Check out the Kimber SIS, it has special designed sights made just for this very thing.

#25 · (Edited)
I've been reading this thread and the closed one that spawned it. Guess I've been provoked into making my SA comment on it. With the talk about striker fired pistols failing to fire and all the talk about crazy chimps getting shot in the news, should I be worried about a chimp tearing my hands off and possibly needing to know how to shoot it with my toes? And if so, should I use a revolver?

Obviously just kidding.

#28 ·
I would encourage each of our members to understand that they are freely express their opinion about such things, but declaring them as the final word on something is not received very well here. Regardless of what your experience is there is always someone here that has more, either individually or collectively. I believe this one will remain closed....

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.