Installing Night Sights Glock

This is a discussion on Installing Night Sights Glock within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I purchased AmeriGlo Night sights for my glock 30sf. I have seen some installation tutorials, and they seem easy enough. I put the slide ...

Thread: Installing Night Sights Glock

So I purchased AmeriGlo Night sights for my glock 30sf. I have seen some installation tutorials, and they seem easy enough. I put the slide in a comfortable vise, and punched out the old rear sight.

Next step is inserting the new rear sight. I was trying to get that thing in there, but it just got stuck about half way. Tried hitting it a little harder, but dont want to ruin it. Already took some of the finish of the thing.

Any advice?
    Think I may just take it in to a shop. Very defeating!

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I know when I had Meprolights installed on my G19, the gun smith used a special tool that clamps to the slide and pushes the rear sight off with the twist of a handle. I would probably destroy the finish on my Glock if I was to attempt it myself.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    A sight pusher is the best way to install them. You can also use a brass punch, but with night sights, I'd be a little worried about damaging the tritium vials. Sight pushers are expensive, so I'd probably just take it to the shop and have it done, unless you know someone you can borrow the tool from.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Good advice. Ill take it in tomorrow. Thought I could handle it. guess not.

Most gunsmiths will install a set of sights for under $50, I would rather pay someone than risk damaging the finish.

My 'Smith charges $20 bucks and usually can do it while I wait, (Its a gun range/store). Money well spent. As I understand it, the Rear sight cut on Glocks is hourglass-shaped, and the stock plastic sight simply deforms to fit. On other sights there is often some filing of the bottom of the sight that is necessary, and thats why aftermarket sights are usually held in place by loctite and set screws.

If you were closer you could use my sight pusher. About a 90 second job to change a rear sight.

DO NOT USE A METAL PUNCH!!!!!!!!

Best bet is to use a 2x4. The XS tutorial is a good choice. You can also take fine grit sandpaper to the bottom of the sight. I took 320 grit to mine.

I will alsdo agree to use the correct tool. My shop charged $30 and said it would have been FREE if I bought them from him. So much for saving a few bucks!!
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Meprolight Sights

Quote Originally Posted by SubNine View Post
    I know when I had Meprolights installed on my G19, the gun smith used a special tool that clamps to the slide and pushes the rear sight off with the twist of a handle. I would probably destroy the finish on my Glock if I was to attempt it myself.
    I bought a similiar set of sights for my G26. They charged $20.00 for the service. I was glad to pay the gun shop for the service knowing they did the job right. Don't try to attempt installing these sights yourself. You may wind up damaging your new sights as well as your glock.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

(sigh) Three to four things are needed for proper sight installs, and you may not need all 3/4 on a single job.

1) a triangluar needle file
    2) a medium grit stone (1"x3" smallest)
    3) a tack hammer and nylon or brass punch
    4) a sight pusher

You have three factors:
    1) the width of the male dovetale on the sight in relation to the female slide cut
    2) The height of the male DT, in relation to the female slide cut
    3) Modest force required to press in.

I usually pass the bottom of the sight over the stone, removing most/all of the bluing or park. This assures me that there are not any burrs, and that the base is reasonably flush.

Try pressing the sight in with finger pressure. If it travels slightly more than halfway with modest pressure, you can hammer or press it in. If not:

If you view the male DT as back to back 7 s, you will then use the triangular file on the leg of the 7. Do not allow the file to get deeply into the notch. Removing most of the bluing is a good measure. You can lock the sight in a vise to do this (it is far less frustrating) but I hold mine in-hand, as this keeps me from being too agressive with the file.

Repeat the press-in check.

If the sight has a set screw, you can dust off enough to completely place the sight with finger pressure, then run a bead of LT Red in the sight channel, press in the sight, then Red the set screw. Generally, I don't recommend this for a carry-gun, but if you think you might be changing sight profiles, it makes life easier, down the road.

Most smiths, today, will charge you the $50-60 bucks, and not mess with real fitting, they'll use the press, and gall the sight in place.

Sorry if I'm a tad sarcastic, but I've seen exactly one guy install a sight without permanent damage to either the sight or the DT cut in 10 years. I know there are more out there, but obviously that's the difference between shipping out for a sight install, and using "the guy down the road."

I installed sights on my XD and G21 myself, without a sight pusher.

I'll be taking my guns in and letting someone else with the right tools do that for me from now on LOL.
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

I have installed numerous sets of sights on Glocks and 1911 pistols. I do have sight pushers but you do need to prefit the sight before you try to force it in, especially if it has Tritium vials.
    A few minutes with a file or stone is all it takes.

I had my Gunsmith install them in my Glock 27 and mynS&W M&P fs 40 cal. he did them for $20.00 each, I stood,and watched him do it while we talked.He also installed the Crimsom Trace Laser Grips on Both.

Thanks guys. Especially thanks to Rob72.

I appreciate the bluntness of your post. I took it to the "proven" gunsmith today. They charged 25 dollars. and even touched up where I dinged the sight.

Looks great and really could not be happier. I will not try that again.

Hopefully this thread helps someone else in the future. Thanks again to all that replied.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by pepsico; February 20th, 2009 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Added Picture

Sponsored Links