Taurus owners

This is a discussion on Taurus owners within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just got mine a few days ago. Book says that +P ammo will "affect the useful life of the firearm. I understand not to run ...

Thread: Taurus owners

Taurus owners

Just got mine a few days ago. Book says that +P ammo will "affect the useful life of the firearm. I understand not to run +P all the time but would it be ok to carry it? I mean in all likelihood would prob not shoot it much if at all. Just like some thoughts on this. Thanks

2. Remove Ads

mkh
    That really shouldn't be a problem.

I would run a few magazines of the +p ammo that you choose through the gun just to make sure it feeds properly.

VIP Member
    Yes, you are okay to carry +P, and to fire it if need be in self-defense. Do not run a steady diet of +P through it. My Colt SF-VI is rated for +P ammunition, with the caveat that it be sent in to the factory every thousand +P rounds to be serviced. Moral...shoot standard pressure and carry +P. Enjoy your new revolver!

This is a revolver, right? If not:
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    You are fine to shoot +P ammo for short practice sessions and SD carry. As already said, shooting a steady diet of +P ammo will shorten the life of the gun.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

falcon, its a PT 111 pro 9mm (auto) lol
    yea def no worry of shooting +P all the time....can't afford it. but i was planning to get a box or two to check it out and then have some to carry.

HKing,

Also in your manual there should be a chart that says the PT111 or other Taurs polymer frame pistols are designed for a 124gr bullet traveling at a speed of 1225 fps. This includes many of the "+P" rounds. I have chronographed Speer GDHP 124 gr +P out of my PT111, and if I remember correctly they come out around 1150 fps, the come out at 1210 fps in my 5" 24/7.

So based on the manual you can feed a steady diet of Speer +P GDHP or ballisticaly similar rounds in your PT111. There are some brands, like Cor Bon and Buffalo Bore, that are a bit hotter and might exceed the Taurus recommendations.

Basically, you can shoot what you want out as far as factory self defense ammo out of your PT111, because your not really going to want to spend the money for +P ammo to shoot continually at the range. At least I hope your not, if so I want to come to the range with you.

Enjoy your new gun.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

farronwolf, if i could afford to shoot +p all the time, I prob wouldn't be toting a Taurus around lol
    Hoping to trade up to a kahr, sig or an XD as soon as i can swing it.

Also, check the web site as it in my case said something different than the book. My book said no +p, but web site said it was +p rated...
    ((Place funny, whitty comment here))

Quote Originally Posted by HKing View Post
    farronwolf, if i could afford to shoot +p all the time, I prob wouldn't be toting a Taurus around lol
    Hoping to trade up to a kahr, sig or an XD as soon as i can swing it.
    Nothing wrong with a Taurus in my book. Both of mine have proven to be very reliable and accurate.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Links