Defensive Carry banner

Which 1911?

4K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  McPatrickClan 
#1 ·
I've decided my next gun will be a Rock Island 1911. My question is which model, the full size or the compact?

#3 ·
Got Rock?

I have the compact model Rock and I love it. Still breaking in at about 300 rounds but haven't had a single issue except when I used some wierd ammo as a test. Steady as a...well...rock!
Which one you get will depend on how you're gonna use it. If it's for daily carry, the compact works great, if it's a nightstand or range gun, then flip a coin and pick what you want. Go with a tactical if you can find one, but the GI model is still a great shooter.

#4 ·
I like full size but can't go wrong with either.

#8 ·
Is new Colt Comander 4 1/4 inch barrel concidered a full size,or does it have to be 5 inch barrel?im new to these guns,its my first,The web site at colt said it was a 1991 model..Is it still a 1911??? :gah:
Mitch, your pistol doesn't appear to be a 1991, you're serial # prefix is GJ and the slide isn't marked '1991'. To my knowledge 1991's sn prefixes are CV or C, and the slide is marked '1991' on the slide. Either way, you've got a very nice 1911A1 there, other than the plastic trigger and MSH.

But lets not hijack this gentleman's thread...

To the OP, If it were me I'd start will the full size base model. Classic.

#9 ·
I just recently bought a full size Rock and love it. The only thing I don't care for is the plain jane GI sights. Going to add Trijicon night sights one day. May even Dura-coat it also as the finish is a little lacking, but other than that it is a very nice 45. And I really can say I'm satisfied.

The only thing to do now is to keep shooting it and find me a IWB holster for it.

#10 ·
All my 1911s are Commander sized. I just like the balance and size for CCW. A full size isn't really any more difficult to conceal, it's really just a personal choice. :smile:

#17 ·
Sir , Great choice and I think you will come to love that RIA 5" 1911. I've tried different carry guns over the years but keep coming back to my 1990 era Springer 1911 Standard. Not 1 bobble in 18+ years of service!

Mine is proof positive you don't have to shell out BIG money for a reliable and accurate 1911. With the few mods I have done it's entire price is still under $600.00. Good sights are a absolute no brainer. I like a extended beavertail as it keeps muzzle flip down and really snuggles the grip into your hand. It and I are very happy with it in it's HBE DC Special. This holster is THE BEST I have ever carried this Springer in! It has been in a MS VMII, HBE COM III and this one. I don't even need a belt to carry it (though it does help) and it is easy on/off. Also conceals it very well. I carry this year round as I like a full size weapon.

Congrats and may it serve you well! :congrats:

SG

HBE Specialty Leatherworks DC Special. The bomb for a 1911 IMO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.