Glock 23 or Glock 27

Glock 23 or Glock 27

This is a discussion on Glock 23 or Glock 27 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm planning on carrying either the compact 40 S&W Glock 23 or the subcompact Glock 27. I'd appreciate some insights and personal, first hand experiences ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Glock 23 or Glock 27

Glock 23 or Glock 27

I'm planning on carrying either the compact 40 S&W Glock 23 or the subcompact Glock 27. I'd appreciate some insights and personal, first hand experiences with both these guns and any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

I own a G23 and it shoots and carries very well. It's probably the only weapon I own that hasn't ever given me any trouble. I'm sure the 27 is similar but I personally don't like the subcompacts, they just don't feel good in my hand.
    If you can shoot both guns, do it. That's the only way you will know which one is right for you.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Administrator
    Both deserve a spot in the combat gun hall of fame, but I like the G23/19 better than the 27/26. IMO, it carries better, you have more capacity and all around more "shootablility".

One thing to watch out for is the grip add on things. The first thing a novice CCW carrier goes and does is add the grip extensions to his G27. IMO, that ruins the only advantage the gun has over the mid size gun. Just my thoughts, take 'em or leave 'em.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Get the G23. You will not be disappointed.
    glockcoma likes this.
    Heavily Medicated For Your Protection

I own a Glock 19 and have owned the Glock 23 and the Glock 26. The 19/23 models are easier to shoot more accurately than the 26/27 models because you can get a full grip with all four fingers. The 26/27 models are easier to conceal. The Glock 23 is manageable IMO with the .40 S&W recoil. The Glock 27 may take some more practice to get accustomed to the perceived recoil. Personally I would go with the Glock 23, but with either one you are getting a top line defensive pistol.

BTW, the Glock 17/19/22/23/26 and 27 is one of the few pistols I would trust without extensive testing right out of the box. I have shot handguns for 30+ years now.
    God bless our troops!

The 27 offers more deep concealment options...but the 19/23 has more capacity and conceals pretty darn well with a good combo of belt and holster.

I carry a 23 EDC for 9 years. I had a 27 and wish I had it back for a BUG, at the time I sold it, i talked myself into the fact that the two were simliar enough that I could do without the 27. I do miss it. Get both when and if you can.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I have both. For me, since I am a short (fat, bald) guy, the 27 conceals better. (Actually, I switched to the 26, but exact same dimensions) One thing you can do is put a 23 barrel in the 27 and get a slightly more umpf from your cartridge without loss of concealability.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

I've got the glock 23 and 19. The 23 is my primary carry its a great gun and shoots perfect. The 19 is the same frame and is cheaper to shoot. So the ability to practice at a cheaper rate is a plus. Same sight picture, wieght. Basically the same gun in a 9MM. Both guns are awesome. I had subcompact 40 for a short time and didn't and like it. A lot more recoil than the 4 inch and the fact that the little finger has no where to go but just sit there. Go out and shoot them if you can and that way you can make an educated decision. Good luck in your search.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. One thing I've seen mentioned is the grip on the Glock 27. It is my understanding that you can buy a magazine extension with or without the extra round that allows you to get all four fingers on the grip. I'm wondering how well they work. I have shot the Glock 23 and like it ( My son carries this model ), but I was leaning towards the 27 because it is suppose to be easier to conceal and shoots very well. Concealing the 23 might not be a big deal in other parts of the country however here in Florida where you seldom wear anything but shorts and a t-shirt it leaves little options unless you want to roast. Thanks again for all the great info it is appreciated.

Magazine Extentions

Quote Originally Posted by Uechi View Post
    It is my understanding that you can buy a magazine extension with or without the extra round that allows you to get all four fingers on the grip. I'm wondering how well they work.
    I bought Pearce Grip extentions for all my G26 magazines. You are correct that they don't add capacity to your magazine. But the finish is identical to the G26. I don't regret adding these extensions at all. They give me a great grip as well. Highly recommend!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

If I could only have one, it would be the 23 over the 27.

Especially if you are planning to add the extension to the 27.
    Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn. -C. S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Thanks for all the feedback guys. One thing I've seen mentioned is the grip on the Glock 27. It is my understanding that you can buy a magazine extension with or without the extra round that allows you to get all four fingers on the grip. I'm wondering how well they work. I have shot the Glock 23 and like it ( My son carries this model ), but I was leaning towards the 27 because it is suppose to be easier to conceal and shoots very well. Concealing the 23 might not be a big deal in other parts of the country however here in Florida where you seldom wear anything but shorts and a t-shirt it leaves little options unless you want to roast. Thanks again for all the great info it is appreciated.
    Putting the mag extension on the G27 negates it's advantage of being more concealable. Unless you carry it with the standard mag and use the extension in your backup mag and for practice. I carry a G27 and am extreamly happy with it. bought it over the G23 because of it's slightly smaller size. The G23 has the tacticle rail but I never had accessories on my previous gun and you don't conceal with accessories. Other than that, I have no experiance with the 23.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Concealing the 23 might not be a big deal in other parts of the country however here in Florida where you seldom wear anything but shorts and a t-shirt it leaves little options unless you want to roast. Thanks again for all the great info it is appreciated.
    You would be surprised what you can conceal with just a T-shirt and shorts on, you will have to buy a good quality shirt or anything will show through.
    I carry a Commander Size 1911 with just a T-shirt or untucked Hawaiian style shirt and it's roughly the same size as the G23 just a little more slim.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Mag extensions

Some people don't trust the +1 or +2 mag extensions, and to a lesser extent the finger extensions (the ones that don't add to the capacity). I've never personally had any reliability problems with the finger extension on my wife's 26. It seems that the sub compacts are much more controllable with some kind of finger extension and when you're done, your grip is still ends up the same length as the medium frame. For those reasons I'd say get the 23.

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    Putting the mag extension on the G27 negates it's advantage of being more concealable. Unless you carry it with the standard mag and use the extension in your backup mag and for practice. I carry a G27 and am extreamly happy with it. bought it over the G23 because of it's slightly smaller size. The G23 has the tacticle rail but I never had accessories on my previous gun and you don't conceal with accessories. Other than that, I have no experiance with the 23.
    It seems that the G23 is the most logical choice. My G27 was my first gun and primary EDC and I'm very happy with it. I chose it because of the size. I do plan to get a use G23 some day (if I can find one).
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links