Kahr CW9 - Problems Today

This is a discussion on Kahr CW9 - Problems Today within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went to the range today to test a few things. All went well except for my Kahr CW9. I decided to bite the bullet ...

I went to the range today to test a few things. All went well except for my Kahr CW9. I decided to bite the bullet and test some Cor Bon 9mm +p 125 gr. JHP. First I shot 50 rounds or so of cheap stuff just to get acclimated. Then 25 rounds of Blazer +P to acquaint myself with the feel of the more powerful round. As always, no problems. Then I loaded up the Cor Bon:

1 - On or about the third magazine the, slide locked back after about the third shot. I could not see what caused it. I carefully removed the magazine and the round was canted upward as it should be. I have no idea why the slide locked open as if the magazine was empty. When I inserted the magazine and pressed the slide release it worked fine. But I am stumped. Does anyone have any ideas what might have happened?

2 - Never in my life have I ever accidentally thumbed a magazine release. While firing the +P I did it twice today. I shudder to think what might happen if I was shooting while under pressure or injured. My fault or not, I think that I am going to require a stronger spring on the magazine release. Does anyone know if they sell such a thing.

I had a Kahr P9 that did the same thing with Cor Bon ammo also, DPX to be more precise. After firing the 200 rounds required for the proper break in period for the pistol, the problem disappeared. I do know Cor Bon loads have a higher velocity than most other similar rounds from other manufacturers.

You may try Wolfe gun springs for a stronger recoil spring. But use caution if you do get one and test it thoroughly with your chosen carry round. You may find that while that clears up one problem it may lead to another. Some other rounds may not produce enough recoil impulse and slide velocity with the new stronger spring to reliably cycle the pistol.

The magazine release should not cause that type of problem, if it was a weak magazine release spring you would notice it with the other brands of ammo as well. Call Kahr if you continue to have problems after your 200 round break in period for your pistol. Good Luck and Happy Shooting!
    God bless our troops!

I appreciate the reply and I can certainly find someone to take the remaining Cor Bon off of my hands, but I guess I don't understand. Are you saying that it makes sense that a more powerful round could get things out of whack to where the CW9 could lock the slide back as if the magazine is empty?

Yes it is possible, I would go back to whatever round is the most reliable in your pistol and find the Cor Bon a good home. You don't want a locked slide in the middle of a gunfight, unless of course your magazine is empty! You may also, as a second thought, try to see if the problem is related to the same magazine. Trying a different magazine may yet solve your problem.

That is my .02 worth, maybe one of the gunsmiths or police armorers on here may be able to help you with your problem better than I can. Sixto, Rob72, QKShooter, Superhouse15 can you guys help?
    Last edited by crzy4guns; February 20th, 2009 at 03:58 PM.
    God bless our troops!

I've had a chance to talk to some people on another forum and at the gun store. It could just be possible that the added recoil had me thumbing the mag. release (a couple times) and just maybe pushing the slide stop upward (that one time). I'm going to go back and put a bunch of non +P though it and if it works out then I will just call it an ammo/gun/shooter issue! I've never heard of such a thing, but it would be just like me to create a new problem!

I went to the range thinking that since Kahr has approved +P in their guns, all I needed to do was verify that it fed reliably and that I could shoot it well enough. I was unprepared for the accidental mag. releases and the slide locking and struggling to understand how the ammo could be a factor.

Well good, hopefully that is all it was, just a ammo/gun/shooter issue. Kahr is still a quality pistol, so don't let one brand of ammo sour you on your otherwise fine carry gun.
    God bless our troops!

New Member Array homeboysolitude's Avatar

CW9 magazine drops out every shot

I bought the CW9 and straight from the box new, the magazine fell out after each pull of the trigger. I immediately contacted customer service. They responded by sending me a new magazine release button. Installed new button and it still had problem. I tried extended mags as well as regular size, it didn't matter. Finally I broke down and took it to the gun shop where I purchased it and I was told " Kahrs are problematic, and that I should get to know the customer service reps, because they will be my best friends while I own this handgun". The accuracy of this firearm is awesome but with severe problems like this I sold it and will never buy or recommend a Kahr to anyone, except my ex-wife.
    I used all types of ammo thinking that was the source of the problem, my police officer friends at the range tried it out and the magazine dropped on them also. I did not put any P rounds through it.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    tjm I have not owned a 1911 till just recently .Took me 46 years of shooting to try one. I had only one issue with it, the slide would lock back while shooting just like your cw9. Bottom line was its my fault. The darn pistol for me is so big I figures it was impossible to do something like that. I payed more attention to my grip and no more slide hold open issues. I don't thing ammo is the problem but if your thumb is close enough with some up word pressure !! Maybe you are tripping it. I do read of others doing the same thing. And shrt of some 147gr bullet profile rubbing the release as they move up in the mag it tends to be a shooter issue. I do practice mainly with 124gr standard pressure ammo but do use a 124gr +p fmj and my CC ammo is a hotter +P hp ammo and with 3 kahrs that's never happen yet. But a 1911??

These smaller pistols can be hard to shoot higher round counts from be for control issue pop up. Add something to your grip to help hold on longer be for grip issues sets in. Could be 25 rounds, 50 or 100 but it will happen. I use a old free from the bike shop inner tube. 1.75" tube. Cut to cover as much grip as possible. helps my hands stick to the grip but for me I tend to shoot 25 well shot rounds on an average and I am done after break in. Any more an accuracy starts to drop. Any problem you have with a Kahr would be better answer by some of the older gurus over at kahrtalk. like bawwana . It could be a real problem but many times it something we do wrong. Then send that new pistol back on there dime.

homeboysolitude After what you were told about those problematic kahrs you still bought it!! You also went straight to the range with a NIB handgun and expected it to function reliably, no cleaning and looking it over , no lube job first??? Are you a handgun newbe or a newbe to small heavier recoiling handguns? Gun shops owners and there sales people are no different than any other sales mans. To most its just a job and many tend to think they can impress someone with what they think about a brand. It does not mean they know anything about what they sell. Yes some guys also so manage to dump mags with these and other smaller pistols, not just kahrs. They just need to learn with practice where to place there fingers. Also some don't set there mags solidly home and lock them in. Gota take time with small handguns to learn what thy need. Oh , Do Not think a leo knows how to shoot just any ole handgun any better than the average joe. They may be ok with what they carry and that's it . Small ,heavy recoiling handgun can make them as sorry a shooter as is possible with any other shooter . Leos are just a cross section of society in general , nothing special about there skill sets anymore than the general shooter.

My first kahr, a cw9 came to me buy way of a very season match shooter and life long hunter that could not get it to cycle reliably. he offered it for sale cheap. I had never held a kahr be for that . Its been a great handgun with no changes except a good cleaning, lube , ammo and shooter . And something added to the grip to aid with grip control .

Quote Originally Posted by homeboysolitude View Post
    ...Finally I broke down and took it to the gun shop where I purchased it and I was told " Kahrs are problematic, and that I should get to know the customer service reps, because they will be my best friends while I own this handgun"...
    Four-year-old thread, but whaddaheck...

If the salesman really believed that, and he sold you the gun anyway, then his integrity comes into question. I wouldn't set foot in a shop where they would knowingly sell me a "problematic" gun.

My CW45 had a mag-drop issue, but it was identified as due to a bad batch of mag releases that they had produced on an early run. Corrected on their dime, and never a problem since. My CM9 has been flawless after a couple of boxes worth of break-in.

The VAST majority of mag-drop issues with Kahrs, Shields, and most other subcompact pistols are the result of operator error. You may have to learn how to shoot the gun without pressing the mag release!
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Links