Walther PPK and PPK/S Recall

This is a discussion on Walther PPK and PPK/S Recall within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Recall Notice...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Walther PPK and PPK/S Recall

Walther PPK and PPK/S Recall

2. Remove Ads

Thanks for the heads up. I wonder if they will take care of the FTF & FTE while in there? Been nothing but problems since new.

VIP Member
    Mine runs just fine. Though I haven't checked the serial number I'm pretty sure mine will fit the recall list. Good grief my LCP is still at Ruger, now I'm going to have to send my PPK off. I wonder what I'll do with all the extra hats.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Did S&W make these with a different design than the original plans from Walther ? I got one from Germany in the 70's and it was as solid as a rock, carried it on and off for 20 years.

I don't see how you can drop the hammer without pulling the trigger. ?????

bosco

I hope the turn around time is quick. Just filled out my form for the UPS pre-paid stamp and shipping instructions from their web site.
    IF YOU STAY READY, YOU AIN'T GOT TO GET READY

My PPK/S is at Smith & Wesson's now. I bought it new; 63 rounds from new it threw the exractor. Smith & Wesson replaced the extractor. Seven rounds later, it threw the extractor again, so its back in Maine again.

There seems to be some question about the nature of this problem. Based on the wording of the recall, it sounds like the AD occurs when the hammer is lowered manually, and not by the decocker. Assuming that is right, does it mean that the AD can occur AFTER the hammer is lowered (carrying with safety-off, hammer down, and one in the chamber) or is it ONLY in the process of lowering the hammer? I did a Google on it and could not find a definitive answer.

VIP Member
    hmmm, maybe I've bought my last Walther. Just can't trust 'em. :(

Whoever wrote the recall has really confused me.

How can you lower the hammer without pulling the trigger? Sure you can use the safety (decocker) but the recall states the safety is disengaged. ??

Is it a faulty part or did S&W change the design that has been foolproof for a long, long time with the German made pistols ?

I emailed Walther and if I get a answer that makes sense I will post it.

bosco
    Last edited by boscobeans; February 23rd, 2009 at 12:46 AM. Reason: added question

1943 - 2009
    How can you lower the hammer without pulling the trigger? Sure you can use the safety (decocker) but the recall states the safety is disengaged. ??
    I think you may be misinterpreting the hazard description.

They're saying that lowering the hammer by using (disengaging) the safety could cause a chambered round to fire in certain firearms.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

"When the manual safety is disengaged, Smith & Wesson’s Product Engineering Group has determined that the possibility exists in certain firearms that lowering the hammer may cause a chambered round to fire."

I might be reading this wrong but how do you lower the hammer on a PPK/PPKS if the safety is disengaged, without pulling the trigger ??

Disengaged ? Means released or turned off (safety is off)
    Engage ? Means activated or turned on (safety is on)
    I am still confused...

bosco

I think these PPK's have a decocker/safety lever on the left side of the slide. The decocker may have its own hammer block. It sounds like the problem does not occur with the decocker/safety engaged, only with the hammer down and the safety off. Many people carry these pistols this way. But there are 2 ways to lower the hammer: 1) with the decocker, 2) manually by pulling the trigger while holding the hammer. The wording of the recall is confusing because it can be interpreted in different ways. See my post above.

"But there are 2 ways to lower the hammer: 1) with the decocker"

Right two ways.. But using the decocker would be ENGAGING the safety.

Once the safety is engaged there is no way that the hammer will stay in the cocked position, it will always fall to the hammer block. If the safety is disengaged the hammer will stay cocked until you PULL TRIGGER or ENGAGE THE SAFETY.
    bosco

Clarification from WALTHER....

When you have your pistol loaded with 1 in the chamber and the gun is on SAFE (meaning there is a hammer block holding the hammer back a fraction of an inch) there can be a discharge when the hammer travels that fraction of an inch from the blocked position when you disengage the safety.

Sounds like the hammer block (safety) is more of a sear and instead of rolling the hammer down it drops it like a rock.

bosco

Quote Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
    "But there are 2 ways to lower the hammer: 1) with the decocker"

Right two ways.. But using the decocker would be ENGAGING the safety.

Once the safety is engaged there is no way that the hammer will stay in the cocked position, it will always fall to the hammer block. If the safety is disengaged the hammer will stay cocked until you PULL TRIGGER or ENGAGE THE SAFETY.
    bosco
    Yep, that's right. But then you can drop the hammer with the decocker/safety and THEN disengage the safety, which will leave the hammer down and the safety off. This is all pretty clear - what is not clear is the recall statement.

Quote Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
    Clarification from WALTHER....

When you have your pistol loaded with 1 in the chamber and the gun is on SAFE (meaning there is a hammer block holding the hammer back a fraction of an inch) there can be a discharge when the hammer travels that fraction of an inch from the blocked position when you disengage the safety.

Sounds like the hammer block (safety) is more of a sear and instead of rolling the hammer down it drops it like a rock.

bosco
    That does not make sense to me, but then I am not all that familiar with the new PPK's. It would seem that if that very small movement of the hammer when the safety is released could cause an AD, then a blow to the hammer with the safety off could do the same - and would be more likely. But then maybe the firing pin block is linked to the safety somehow - although that does not make sense to me.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links