Old and slow

This is a discussion on Old and slow within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Stuart Whoa, thanks for the quick reply everyone. I will check out the individual pistols later. I will try to answer some ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Old and slow

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    Whoa, thanks for the quick reply everyone. I will check out the individual pistols later. I will try to answer some of your questions. I am not sure what progressive glasses are, but I wear Varilux. I suspect that is what you are talking about. My main sport is skeet and trap and I do not have any problems with them.

I already have a laser on the P3AT. Never really used it because I practice in the daytime and you can't see the red dot in the bright sun.

I do take my coat off, so total concealment is a must. That is why I have a SmartCarry and a tuckable IWB holster. What I gain in concealment I lose in fast draw. Everything in life is a compromise. I know I have to compromise on the pistol. Small enough to hide but large enought to hold steady and see the sights.

I recently read an article somewhere on XS Big Dot Sights. While they were not as accurate as a three dot, they were more than adequate for defensive purposes. I just haven't checked to see what pistols they are available for.

I practice by myself and I shoot IDPA. IDPA is fine but you spend 3-4 hours at the range but only get about 3-4 minutes of actual shooting time. You are right, I should just ask one of the seasoned IDPA shooters to spend an afternoon with me.

Would I have any better luck with a revolver? I do not even own a revolver.

And I am not an alien.

Klatu barada nicko!

As far as glasses go, maybe you would be better off shooting without them. Remember the correct sight picture is the front sight in focus, rear sight ok to be slightly out of focus and target OK to be blurry. Your eyes cannot focus on front sight and target at the same time. I havn't tried shooting with mine in about 6 months, last time I tried I found that if I had my glasses on I couldn't make out the front sight well at all. I now alway shoot without glasses, do much better that way.
    I wear glasses to drive only. My eye doctor is suggesting I consider bifocals, but since I work at a computer all day, I only need to see up close, 18-36 inches which I see better without glasses or contacts.

In a SHTF situation, it would be easier to remove glasses from face, ie, driving, than trying to find glasses in pocket, open glasses and place on face anyways!

If you havn't yet, try shooting without glasses, don't worry that the target is blurry, you only need to find COM, not identify what the BG's tee shirt says on it. You can read it while he's lying there waiting for the medics to arrive.

BTW I carry a snub nose 38. The sites are way bigger than most auto's. My mother's berretta sights are positively microscopic compared to my snubbie.
    You may have a hard time competing in IDPA using a 5 shot snubby, more reloads per stage. I do recall reading that some IDPA matches do have a BUG match that is set up for revolvers.
    Last edited by TedBeau; February 23rd, 2009 at 12:31 PM. Reason: more info

2. Remove Ads

Honestly... I find a Beretta PX4 and a 7-shot Taurus .357 the easiest to conceal IWB. If you would have told me that, I would have told you that you were nuts.

But, after comparing guns, holsters, etc. These are the easiest for me, and I fit your profile really well. The 7 shot, mdl 617, rides low on the belt to where only the grip is sticking up and it's shape, angle, etc. .... it doesn't show at all.

Learn to point shoot. there are several places on the web that gives you the basics for doing so.

Also there are books on the same subject. One is "Shooting To Live" by the guys that trained many people to point shoot.
    Another is "Kill or Get Killed" by Applegate,another trainer in Point Shooting.

I am 70,4 eyes,overweight and with a banged up right leg and working at the above has very much improved my self denfense skills.

In working on these skills, I use a KWA Glock 19 Airsoft for home and both an Advantage Arms Glock 19/23 .22LR Conversion kit and a Glock 23 for the range.

You can do the same with the smaller Glocks (26,27) or 1911's if you wish.

Nearly all the Point Shooting trainers will tell you once you get the basics of doing it you can use any pistol you have on hand.

Stuart , check your PM's

Administrator
    Well, it's also super important to get away from "paper plinking" methodology and into a true self-defensive shooting mode because one really has nothing to do with the other.
    It's not really something that can be taught on an Internet forum though.
    Some good actual professional training/instruction sure goes a long way.
    Even if you think you are old and slow right now.
    You are usually not as old nor as slow as you think are.

Folks sure can practice gaining access to their firearm quickly at home though.
    When an attack is usually over in 2.5 seconds - taking 3 or 4 seconds to clear leather and get presented onto the threat often gets you killed.

I always try to tell folks NOT to carry deeper than is absolutely necessary for your daily routine.
    If you can't get it out and use it lickety-split then it's no different than if you left it at home on the nightstand.

Stuart, I am 55 and it is not the gun. It is your approach to defensive shooting. FORGET THE SIGHTS! Start shooting instinctively. See the attached web sight: Handgun or Pistol Quick Kill [ QK ] Shooting Technique © - Threat Focused Forums Practise the pointing technique as described until you have a feel for the end of yor gun pointing roughly 2 inches below the intended COM spot.
    Simply pick up the front of the gun in your peripheral vision as you stare at the target. You will quickly be amazed at your accuracy/speed.

Quote Originally Posted by wvshooter View Post
    Have you considered a Ruger SR9. It is very thin and reasonably light with the plastic frame. It's 17 + 1 rounds of 9mm so it has plenty of firepower. I don't have one but it's recoil is supposed to be on the light side and would certainly be less than the Kel-tec. The Ruger's sight range will be longer as well which should make you more accurate. Range time would be fun for a change. If you leave your suit coat on all day the Ruger would be very well concealed in an inside the waist band (IWB) holster just behind your right hip. Remember to get a real gun belt type belt if you decide to IWB.
    I agree with WVShooter that the SR9 is a great CC weapon (I carry it IWB). Thin, powerful, easy to shoot and little recoil. I also carry a Sig P232, somewhat smaller, even easier to carry. The night sights work great. I carry this in a shoulder rig or pocket holster. I'm 58, four eyed like you and it works fine for CCW.
    NRA, IDPA, GSSF & GSSA member
    Certified Glock Armorer

As you can tell from all the different responses suggesting a specific weapon, a lot of this has to with developing a relationship with a weapon you can have confidence in. For me there is a "Sweet spot," between concealable size and shootability that inspires confidence. I am not great shot, but I can keep all my shots on a paper plate at 15 yards while shooting aimed shots. a slow hit is better than a quick miss! With your style of dress, jacket, etc., you have more carry options than you may think; tuckable, IWB, shoulder holster, etc. I am also a big fan of the XS big dot sights. that big ol' front site kind of jumps out at me. Some say they are not accurate for long-range shots, but thats ok with me.

For sights, may I suggest the TruGlo TFO for both day and night performance. With CT grips as well, you've pretty much got all conditions (both lighting and eyesight) covered.

By the way, I'm old and slow too, so must focus on my shooting since I can't generate much movement nor run away as well as in the past. With that in mind, I found that TFOs have led to a remarkable improvement in my ability to stay on the front sight in all lighting conditions.

Good luck.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links