Old and slow

Old and slow

This is a discussion on Old and slow within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I hate to start another "what's the best ccw fiream" but I think some of you can relate to my situation. I am 55 year ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Old and slow

Old and slow

I hate to start another "what's the best ccw fiream" but I think some of you can relate to my situation. I am 55 year old, overweight, four eyed professional who wears a suit everyday. Total concealment of my weapon is a must. My favorite carry piece is my Kel-Tec P3AT. I pocket carry with an extra mag.

Now for the problem, I practice alot and still can't hit crap. Standing and shooting with two hands I can put a mag in 6 inches at 5 yards. I won't win any competitions but for defensive purposes I feel that is good enough. However, this is slow fire, no pressure and me squinting to see those tiny sights. If I try a scenario with movement lateral or walking backwards I am all over the place. I don't even think all the bullets hit the cardboard target. I have tried painting my sites with different colors but things are still fuzzy. No surprise, the bigger the pistol I shoot, the more accurate I get. The bigger the pistol, the harder to carry and conceal.

I also have a 1911, Beretta 92, Taurus 24/7 9mm, CZ-82, Kel-Tec P11 and a Hi-Point C9. Of all my guns the Hi-Point is the easiest for me to shoot for accuracy. It has oversized colorful Sites for my failing eyes. I am not going to carry "the brick." I thought the Heine sights would be good but I shoot better with a three dot sight. I tried and liked the sites on a Glock 19 but it felt awful in my hand. I have a laser on the P3AT but it does no good in broad daylight.

Then there is carry, even the P11 is too heavy for pocket carry. Pulls my pants down. The P11 works well with my SmartCarry or Tuckable IWB holster. I can't shoot the P11 any better than the P3AT. Too small. I have tried to carry the 24/7, but am constantly aware of carry something big in my pants (add joke here.)

So what should a overweight, middle-aged professional carry under total concealment that is large enough to fire with some degree of accuracy. I need a mid-sized thin 9mm with big sights.

Frustrated and grateful for any advise.
    Dog

Small guns are hard to shoot, and the P3AT is downright tiny. Move up to a commander/Glock 19 sized pistol and you should find it a lot easier. If you don't like the Glock, try the Springfield XD, XDm, S&W M&P, HK P2000, or SIG P250.

Keep in mind that you can have the sights on most of pistols replaced fairly easily. If you want something big I would suggest XS Sight's excellent Big Dot sights.

Maybe your practice needs work. Do you know anyone who shoots well? Maybe they can help.

I see where you labeled yourself four eyed. Do your glasses not corect your vision for arms length? Have you tried progressive lenses? Progressive lenses seem to be the worst for shotgunning but I never had an issue with pistols.

Randy

VIP Member
    The Sig P250 is great, but not thin. It's a double stack, try the P239, it's reletively small, thin and very accurate. In a 9mm I think it gives you 8+1 capacity. It's only about 5" tall, and 1.2" thick.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Randy, he stated that he has four eyes - unless he is an alien mutant, I think he already wears glasses! lol. I would also say check the prescription, AND get a larger gun. I do like the S&W M&P, and I think the XD(C) would be a posibility. One of my buddies who is in the same age/eyesight boat as you got some sights that look like a triangle - the rear sights make up the base and the front sight is the top, you just line them up.- dont know the name off hand but they helped him!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Have you considered a Ruger SR9. It is very thin and reasonably light with the plastic frame. It's 17 + 1 rounds of 9mm so it has plenty of firepower. I don't have one but it's recoil is supposed to be on the light side and would certainly be less than the Kel-tec. The Ruger's sight range will be longer as well which should make you more accurate. Range time would be fun for a change. If you leave your suit coat on all day the Ruger would be very well concealed in an inside the waist band (IWB) holster just behind your right hip. Remember to get a real gun belt type belt if you decide to IWB.
    "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo. You fingered Sonny for the Barzini people."

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    I'm heavier than you, and am a six-eyed professional who doesn't wear a suit (I can't afford real bifocals, so I carry two pair of reading glasses to accomplish the task).

I would suggest we both look into point-shooting in one form or another, and buy laser sights if we win the lottery. Re: laser sights - the two of us together ought to be able to take on Sixto.

OK, you probably better read Sixto's comments before you go down the laser road: his disparaging remarks have made me feel a little better about not being able to afford one... and he is likely to be quite right. But a red dot would certainly be nice when I am not wearing my glasses or wearing the wrong pair or, worse, wearing both pair at the same time.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

I assume that you take your coat off during the day in the office. But if you wear it all day any gun can be easily concealed with either IWB or OWB (my preference.)

A small, light, but powerful gun with good sights is the Kahr P9.
    You might also consider a Mod 642. It is light, but the sights are not as good as the Kahr.

As has been said the KT P3AT and similar guns are much more difficult to shoo accurately, but with any gun, practice is the answer to being better.

Regards,
    Jerry

Practice is key, not just putting rounds down range. Find someone in your area that is good, they can help you find the right fit on firearm and show you how to best conceal it well. Defensive shooting is a skill that not easy self taught. I'm 61, 5'11", 180 and sometimes carry 2 Sig 239's in 9mm under a T-shirt here in Arizona. With practice you can triple tap from concealment in under 2 seconds and pie plate at 21' while moving. Just find a good instructor, it's worth it.

Whoa, thanks for the quick reply everyone. I will check out the individual pistols later. I will try to answer some of your questions. I am not sure what progressive glasses are, but I wear Varilux. I suspect that is what you are talking about. My main sport is skeet and trap and I do not have any problems with them.

I already have a laser on the P3AT. Never really used it because I practice in the daytime and you can't see the red dot in the bright sun.

I do take my coat off, so total concealment is a must. That is why I have a SmartCarry and a tuckable IWB holster. What I gain in concealment I lose in fast draw. Everything in life is a compromise. I know I have to compromise on the pistol. Small enough to hide but large enought to hold steady and see the sights.

I recently read an article somewhere on XS Big Dot Sights. While they were not as accurate as a three dot, they were more than adequate for defensive purposes. I just haven't checked to see what pistols they are available for.

I practice by myself and I shoot IDPA. IDPA is fine but you spend 3-4 hours at the range but only get about 3-4 minutes of actual shooting time. You are right, I should just ask one of the seasoned IDPA shooters to spend an afternoon with me.

Would I have any better luck with a revolver? I do not even own a revolver.

And I am not an alien.

Klatu barada nicko!
    Dog

Im 53 and wear bi-focal glasses too,so do what I did,I REALLY just point and shoot,Crimson Trace Laser Grips and Night sites on all guns..

I LOVE revolvers... The department frowns on using them on duty though....
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

I would also say check the prescription, AND get a larger gun.
    I would say that too.

Biker

Quote:
    "I would also say check the prescription, AND get a larger gun."

"I would say that too." Biker

I would say that three.

A couple good options are any mid size gun like a M&P 9 compact is a great small gun and you can replace the front site with a fiber optic to make it much more visible.

I do make and have in stock an OWB holster that would work for you C9 $65 shipped. I can also make any of my holsters for it. You know it works for you which in the end is very important. Then back it up with the P3AT (my P3AT is my backup gun choice).

Another good option is a K-frame revolver. I love my 2.5" Model 66 Smith with good sites and mine has a red insert that helps on visibility. I think I will carry it today

MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links