Today might be the day !!!

This is a discussion on Today might be the day !!! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In a few hours this morning, I am going to look at .45's. I rather not look at full sized arms since I do have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Today might be the day !!!

Today might be the day !!!

In a few hours this morning, I am going to look at .45's. I rather not look at full sized arms since I do have the S&W 1066 10mm. Its a large handgun.
    Let me give you a description of what I have and can carry.
    NAA revolver .22 mag., Colt Mustang .380, Taurus 85 ultralite .38 special, Ruger SP101 snubby .357/.38,.....and then the jump to the large sized handgun S&W 10mm, which is primarily a truck gun. I'm looking for a mediun .45 pistol such as a SIG P245, Springfield Armory 1911A commander, XD45.
    I like the XD set-up but its striker-fired. SIG is just darned pricey.
    Anyone have any recommendations ??? or comments ???
    Lets hear'em...
    Last edited by artz; February 8th, 2006 at 11:06 AM.

2. Remove Ads

thanx for tha help....

Assistant Administrator
    I am not much into compacts so can't offer much advice but would suggest that your base line has to be along two main levels - budget - and what feels right.

Beyond that maybe - I'd say don't go too compact, remembering how some folks find there is an increase in problems compared to full size.

No links on hand but - in the gun discussions we've had some useful feedback on what is found more likely to be good or bad - so perhaps a browse can yield some help too.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by artz
    I like the XD set-up but its striker-fired.
    Why don't you like striker-fired handguns?
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Membership Revoked Array HappyGunner's Avatar
    In some past e-mail from Sig they said something about a new S.S. 4" .45acp that I would like to see. I am guessing it will show up at this years Shot Show.

IF you look around and maybe have something to trade (at a gunshow) you can make some amazing deals! I got a like new Sig P245 in trade for a POS jam-a-matic ParaOrdnance P10 + $100. That Sig is one of my three standard carry guns.

I also love my Glock M27. If you're dead set on a 45 (who could blame you for that?) You might want to check out the Glock M30 in 45acp.

I've related my horror stories on a sub 4" 1911 so folks will claim me to be biased and I AM on 1911 designs with a barrel less than four inches in length.

I also like the H&K USPc in 45. I may very well get one of those to go along with my full size USP 45. 12 rds of 45acp is hard to turn down. Just remember, you usually get what you pay for...the notable exception in my case being the acquisition of the P245.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

artz,
    not sure what your price range is, but I love my Springfield Stainless Champion 1911 - ambi safety, beavertail, Novak tritium sights, Cocobolo wood grips, lifetime warranty. I think I paid about $700 for it NIB. Mine has been flawless and very accurate:

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DirksterG30
    artz,
    not sure what your price range is, but I love my Springfield Stainless Champion 1911 - ambi safety, beavertail, Novak tritium sights, Cocobolo wood grips, lifetime warranty. I think I paid about $700 for it NIB. Mine has been flawless and very accurate:

Very Nice!!
    Curry

All good choices Artz. Personally I'd be looking at the 1911 and Sig 245 but that's just me. As Ex said, you can find some surprisingly good deals if you look around. There might be a CPO Sig 245 out there with your name on it!
    Good luck buddy.
    Jack

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BCurry1
    Very Nice!!
    I like the single stack format for a carry gun. Much easier to conceal IMO. I have a SA Champion and am really comfortable carrying it.

Exclamation

Thanx...I had to stir the pot a little to get the ball going.
    Man....I saw sooooo many pistolas, that I was gonna get a headache trying to pick out just one. LOL......
    I saw a Para-ordnance PDA .45 in dark green and a PDA SS commander that I want to study up on, along with a Glock 29 10mm, plenty of springfields including the one Dirkster is showing, they had no XD45's. I found a used blued(very nice) P245 SIG for $650. A Kimber 10mm for $1200 and change. I just couldn't make a decesion.
    I had given my mom my NAA .22 mag revolver because thats the only one she can operate (she has a crippling disease). I take her out in the back yard once a week and get her to shoot 2-3 cylinders full at a empty milk jug at about 10 feet. She does quite well. I'm proud of her.
    So I bought another NAA .22 mag with the holster grips (the one that folds into the grip)

I have a Glock 29 in 10mm with a 357 Sig BBL.......the gun shoots well with both calibers..VERY reliable..The USP in 40 cal is a good choice too, Kimber Pro CDP, Sig 226 in 9mm, G 19,23,17 are good choices.
    The Paras are kinda fussy, and the extractors are brittle, look for chips on them. I had a P10 in stainless that shot 1.5 feet low and to thr right.. at 20 feet.......no matter what I did to it. Other oparas shoot just fine out of the box
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Not only am I kinda fond of the Glock because of the 10mm, it gripped well in my hand. I enjoy the mighty ten because not everyone has it. I have always been that way. Even when most kids road hondas', I rode yamahas', and so forth. Thats the reason I have the colt mustang.
    My S&W 1066 doesn't kick as much as a 1911A .45 full size. Nor does the ten have the bite the .40 produces. Could you describe to me what the glock recoils like...if at all possible ? I am most interested....

In a few hours this morning, I am going to look at .45's. I rather not look at full sized arms since I do have the S&W 1066 10mm. Its a large handgun.
    Take a long, hard look at a S&W 1911Sc in Commander size. Weighing in at just 28 ounces empty with a 4.25" barrel it is just a dream carry gun.

Mine is as accurate and reliable as can be and the weight and size make it an outstanding carry choice.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

thanx...DC. I have seen the full sized ones, but never the commander. I look forward to it...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links