Seeking 9mm reassurance

This is a discussion on Seeking 9mm reassurance within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; And then.... I can remember cases where one shot with a .22 cal .... killed someone. It just all depends upon what & where ... ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Seeking 9mm reassurance

And then.... I can remember cases where one shot with a .22 cal .... killed someone.

It just all depends upon what & where ... and at what range.

I won't quit carrying 9mm, or my .357 either (which I prefer).

I figure enough holes.... and they would look worse than Sponge Bob.... in any caliber.

My objective is not necessarily to kill someone attacking me, but to keep them from killing me. So if they even end up wounded to the point they can no longer do me harm, mission accomplished.

2. Remove Ads

It sounds like the Deputy was pretty well incapacitated. I don't carry a 9mm, but any caliber is fine i with good shot placement and multiple hits. One of my best friends was shot 7 times with a 9mm and was able to run away from the BG. He was just very, very, lucky that nothing vitally important was hit and that he reached an ER with lots of experience in gunshot wounds quickly. (Charity Hospital in New Orleans) Someone else shot in the same incident by the same gun was shot once in the chest and died.
    Shoot some cantaloupes with your 9mm, you'll feel better about it.

As expected there are lots of shot placement is everything. If that was the case the officer would be dead obviously the BG did his part and got hits COM and to the head. Just as caliber is not everything neither is shot placement a guarantee. Sometimes you do all the right things with all the right tools and still fail. People are hard to kill. Sometimes stuff just happens there is no explaining it. The officer just lives right. It was not his day to die. Who knows why the COM shot missed all vital organs, or why at just the right second the officers head turned at the one angle that would cause the head shot to not be fatal. It was the officers and the BG lucky day.

Stuff happens

All we do is the best we can train practice using the best tools we can. We become as proficient as possible all to bend the odds in our favor. But there is never a guarantee, we are never ever in control we just put our best foot forwards and hope for the best. Thankfully, the odds were in the officers favor, that is the best any of us can ask.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

I'd bet that we may have a service member or two here that have seen enemy combatants take a few hits from .50 BMG before going down.
    THAT is a stretch :) But, point taken. It may be against the rules to post it here, but if you want to see what a .50 will do at sniper range, pm me for the link.

los
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    And then.... I can remember cases where one shot with a .22 cal .... killed someone.

It just all depends upon what & where ... and at what range.

I won't quit carrying 9mm, or my .357 either (which I prefer).

I figure enough holes.... and they would look worse than Sponge Bob.... in any caliber.

My objective is not necessarily to kill someone attacking me, but to keep them from killing me. So if they even end up wounded to the point they can no longer do me harm, mission accomplished.
    One of the best Posts I've seen in a long time regarding self-defense Psyche..!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ron8903 View Post
    Remember shot placement, I dont matter if you shot with a .44 mag
    it you dont hit a vital you dont die right a way.

+1. In 1985 I was stationed in Kodiak Alaska, home of the big bears.
    Everyone carried a 7mm Rem Mag minimum for hunting deer and bear protection. Most carried 300's and 338's (338 for me).

The Dept of Fish and Game record every bear taken. That year's record 9' 4" bear was taken by a 19 YO kid from Michigan with a .270Winchester, 130 gr. Nosler from 30 paces while he was deer hunting. The bear and he met and his shot hit the left shoulder, penetrated the lung and the bear went down. He shot it once more in the head and lights out.

Moral of story was his shot placement. Busted the bears shoulder and destroyed it's lung. In the old days there, 30/30's took many of them big ones. All comes down to hitting the vitals.

Hope the young officer makes a full recovery! Wasn't his time to go and wish him and his family the best.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Even though he was shot in the head... Get this...

Our skulls are essentially helmets.. They are tough.. But will not withstand a straight on shot..

The officer was most likely shot on a natural curve of the skull, and when the bullet hit with ITS natural curve, it followed the skull around and did not penetrate.

Self defense does not mean killing your target, it means to stop the target with any means necessary. If your shots are not fatal, that is even better because they will stand trial and you won't have a death on your conscience.

Quote Originally Posted by Acecool View Post
    ........Self defense does not mean killing your target, it means to stop the target with any means necessary. If your shots are not fatal, that is even better because they will stand trial and you won't have a death on your conscience.
    That way they can go to trial and lie, making it your fault and try to sue your pants off!
    Men look out for themselves; real men look out for others!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links