1911 45ACP conversion to 9mm??

1911 45ACP conversion to 9mm??

This is a discussion on 1911 45ACP conversion to 9mm?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can a 1911 be converted to fire 9mm? If so, what is required? I know a new barrel and recoil spring, I guess I would ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1911 45ACP conversion to 9mm??

Lightbulb 1911 45ACP conversion to 9mm??

Can a 1911 be converted to fire 9mm? If so, what is required? I know a new barrel and recoil spring, I guess I would need another slide too, huh?
    Am I missing anything?

I have a Kimber Tac Pro II in .45 ACP that I am in love with, but I have been eyeballin the 9mm 1911s lately, due to the super cheap ammo and less recoil.
    I would like to buy one outright and use it as a range/training gun, while still using the .45 as my everyday carry weapon.
    Same ergonomics, controls, grip etc., but cheaper (and easier) to shoot.
    Problem is, they ain't cheap. If I can reasonably buy a few parts and "convert" my carry gun for alot cheaper I want to look into that.

Any thoughts on this out there?
    Thanks,
    Sarhog
    NRA Life Member
    Northwest Florida Defensive Pistol Shooters Member
    Sarhog's gallery

1951 - 2011
    Hello. You'd have to have a 9mm slide and ejector and extractor as well as the barrel and bushing, and slide stop lever.

Best.

Administrator

It's a bit more involved than you think

The ejector is in the wrong location on the frame & the frame feed ramp is cut to a different angle.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Basically a complete slide assembly might be the easiest route if I understand things correctly. And a magazine of course. Sort of like the .22LR conversion kits but in 9mm I guess.
    Jack

Oops! I didn't think about frame related problems. Sounds like a new 9mm 1911 is in your future.

Lead Moderator
    Why ot get a .22 conversion. MUCH cheaper shooting than 9mm , and probably less than a conversion to 9mm.

The problems getting a reliable 9MM conversion for a 1911 45 are huge. Note the word reliable.

In the long run, buy another gun in the caliber you desire, and you will be far better satisified.

I did have a 9MM setup added to a Super/9X23 I had rebuilt by Jim Garthwaite. Very reliable, but both the Super and 9MM have ramped barrels. Takes just a couple of minutes to change barrel, and recoil system from one to the other.

Great training gun!!
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Sorry but you're the very first person that I ever herd of wanting to trade a .45 for a 9. GULP !! WOW!! How much cheaper is 1K of 9 vs 1K of .45 ?? Also...recoil is our friend. How could you really train without experiencing the true recoil of your combat round ?? Also,define"easier to shoot". ---------

Quote Originally Posted by maclean3
    Oops! I didn't think about frame related problems. Sounds like a new 9mm 1911 is in your future.
    I did not think of the frame related things either.
    I guess I will start shopping for 9mm 1911s. I have seen Kimber's 3 offerings, and 2 from Springfield. Any other recommendations?
    I'm kinda leaning towards the Kimber Tac Pro II, because it will be the twin sister for my carry gun. Kinda pricey though.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    Why not get a .22 conversion. MUCH cheaper shooting than 9mm , and probably less than a conversion to 9mm.
    I don't really want to go that route. If I get the 9mm, I will still be able to use it for IDPA/IPSC matches, and it can be a back-up or spare for training classes. I suppose I could even carry it on occasion, though I can't see a benefit to that over the .45.
    Thanks everyone,
    Sarhog
    NRA Life Member
    Sarhog's gallery

Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ
    Sorry but your the very first person that I ever herd of wanting to trade a .45 for a 9. GULP !! WOW!! How much cheaper is 1K of 9 vs 1K of .45 ?? Also...recoil is our friend. How could you really train without expierencing the true recoil of your combat round ?? Also,define"easier to shoot". ---------
    Whoa now...I didn't say trade.
    I am paying $180 per 1000 rounds for .45 ACP (on sale) vs $100 per 1000 for the 9mm.
    The easier to shoot remark was based on recoil.

My plan is using the 9mm for rangework, some IPSC, and possibly using it for training classes. It could also serve as a "spare", since it can share holsters and such.
    I would continue to carry the .45 and also use it for IDPA and maybe IPSC.
    If you see fault to this logic, let me hear it. I'm all ears.
    Hell, we should go to the range and shoot sometime, we're in the same neck of the woods.
    Sarhog
    NRA Life Member
    Sarhog's gallery

Get your self a 22 conversion Kit so you can have the same trigger pull of your 45 same frame and grips etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by sarhog
    If you see fault to this logic, let me hear it. I'm all ears.
    Hell, we should go to the range and shoot sometime, we're in the same neck of the woods.
    If you train with one pistol and carry another, then your carrying a pistol your not really trained on. Kind of like training with a rifle, but carrying a pistol. The whole point of training is to get used to firing a certain weapon and getting good at it.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticRick
    If you train with one pistol and carry another, then your carrying a pistol your not really trained on. Kind of like training with a rifle, but carrying a pistol. The whole point of training is to get used to firing a certain weapon and getting good at it.
    The pistol I carry (a Kimber .45 ACP Tac Pro II), and the pistol I want to predominately train with (a Kimber 9mm Tac Pro II) are exactly the same, other than the round they fire.
    Same trigger, thumb safety, grip safety, grip, slide serrations, mag release, slide stop, etc.
    I haven't seen the 2 side by side, but I doubt there is any discernable difference, other than the size of the bore and the markings on the chamber.
    Sarhog
    NRA Life Member
    Sarhog's gallery

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    First let me say that i didn't know that 45 and 9 prices were that much different. I've never bought 9. I train with,and compete with a full size Colt,but carry a 3" Kimber(acuallyI have 2 of them) When training for CC, I use my "other" Kimber. I find that I can quick change targets,shoot high/low,and double tap or triple tap equally with the workhorse Colt or the sports car Kimber. I love both weapons but I find the Colt WAY to heavy to CC. For training I use full power loads in both the Kimbers and the Colt. I want to "feel" the weapon respond to the trigger pull. I love recoil. Always have-always will. --------

Administrator

Good Thread & Great Input

Just thinking about how you would go about doing a full conversion.
    A ramped 9mm custom barrel with the barrel ramp milled into the .45 frame & then the ejector would need to be relocated a bit further in.
    I'm best guessing that with the custom gun smithing work involved coupled with the price of the complete 9mm Top End would (for sure) put you over the cost of a new Colt chambered for the 9.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I can't tell if QK is giving you an excuse to buy a new gun or if he just enjoys peeing in your Cheerios. (j/k QK )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links