Mil-Spec update.

This is a discussion on Mil-Spec update. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just got back from dropping off my Mil-Spec at my local 'smith. I told him first thing that the gun was set up like this ...

Thread: Mil-Spec update.

Mil-Spec update.

Just got back from dropping off my Mil-Spec at my local 'smith. I told him first thing that the gun was set up like this when I bought it and I had a Wilson's slide stop on order - he approved of that at least.

I talked things over with him and explained this would be for carry. Right now hes replacing the POS thumb safety with an Ed Brown's extended (tactical/carry model) and he said the problem with the thumb safety hanging up is due to a bad plunger so he's replacing that too. Can't remember the brand on that. Total cost today ... $125 (+ the $62 I spent for the slide stop!).

Later on I'm going to have him do a 4 lb. trigger job ($75 + parts) and maybe fit a SS barrel bushing. Might have him fit a beavertail and Comm. hammer too if bobbing the spur hammer doesn't cure the hammer bite. Of course that'll require refinishing too ....

Damn good thing I bought this as a "project gun" 'cause it's sure adding up quick! Oh well, when it's finished I'm going to have EXACTLY what I want in a 1911. This is the first gun I've ever had custom tuned so I'm looking forward to it. What's the worst that could happen? Wait... isn't that what Michael Jackson said about plastic surgery?
    Jack

2. Remove Ads

OD*
    One suggestion Jack, get a good extractor and dump the cast one.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Administrator

Thumbs up

"Project Dump Big $$$" ~

Sure does get expensive. At least you're saving on shipping.

I can think of lots more great & NEAT expensive things you can add to the list.

Seriously, you'll have the exact firearm that you want to carry when your project is finished.
    It's worth it & is money well spent if it makes you happy.
    You're worth it!

Thanks guys, I feel much better now - who needs therapy with a Forum like this?

I agree about the extractor as well. I'm thinking either a Wilson's Bulletproof or a C&S spring steel, can't decide which (probably Wilson's though). I'd like to have him tune up a spare to keep in the range bag as well but I'm not sure if that's practical - or even possible. If an extractor is tuned then removed for later use would it still be properly tensioned after putting it back in?

Still need to replace the recoil and FP springs with Wolff's. It seems to be okay at the moment but I'd rather be sure things are what they should be.

I haven't had this 'smith do any work for me before but I got a good impression from speaking with him today. I mentioned having a SS bushing installed and he said unless I just "wanted" it, it wasn't really needed - although it would tend to tighten up the grouping (right now I've got more of a "pattern" thing going on ). Seems if he was just out to make money he would've come up with all sorts of "Have to..." items.
    Jack

OD*
    I'd like to have him tune up a spare to keep in the range bag as well but I'm not sure if that's practical - or even possible.
    Yep, possible and very practical.

If an extractor is tuned then removed for later use would it still be properly tensioned after putting it back in?
    Yes it will.

I prefer the C&S extractors myself.

~ Tiger McKee

Thanks OD, that's what I was thinking but wasn't really sure. Oh yeah, at some point I'll want night sights too. Either Novak lo-mounts or Heinie. Oh well, who needs food!

OD*
    Oh well, who needs food!
    Ah ha! You've found out the 1911s are an incurable malady that you actually enjoy having.

~ Tiger McKee

Go with the C&S spring steel extractor

So what I am reading is you really don't save any money by building it yourself.... 'cause I thought of that too. Just buying a complete lower for about $250 and going from there...

Quote Originally Posted by artz
    So what I am reading is you really don't save any money by building it yourself.... 'cause I thought of that too. Just buying a complete lower for about $250 and going from there...

It just depends on what you want on it. I bought mine used so I'm having to correct a few of things (the extended slide stop, cheap POS thumb safety, and plunger tube). That's all this gun really NEEDS to be ready for carry, the rest is personal preference. Had I bought a NIB Mil-Spec all I'd want is maybe a trigger job ... maybe.

Once I found it needed a 'smith's attention I just figured, what the Hell, might as well build it up the way I want it.

If you opt for a full custom build then sure, you're into more money in most cases but you get to have the exact gun you want without any extras (like ambi safeties, etc). Luckily I've got what I hope to be a good 'smith within driving distance so I can build this a little at a time as I can afford it - one or two things each month - without shipping charges.

Also, at this point I'm more comfortable paying a 'smith to do a lot of the work that people with more experience would just do themselves (fitting safeties and stuff like that). Hopefully this will be my guniea pig gun as well and I'll soon be able to do more of the tweaking on my own.

Oh, my 'smith stocks C&S parts too so it's not a problem using their spring steel extractors.
    Jack

Assistant Administrator
    Sounds Jack like you have a plan! Indeed tho the $$$
    's do soon add up.

But hey as you said - great ''guinea pig'' project and at the end you'll have a great piece.

I like the Wilson extractor but Bud - is the C&S definitely better? Just wondering what are the plusses and minusses with each - and cost.

I put a Wilson in my P12.45 before I sold it on and it seemed a superb item.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Not sure how the prices compare. Wilson's Bulletproof extractors are great quality to be sure but JMB's original design called for the extractor to be made out of spring steel - which is what the "Cylinder and Slide Shop" (C&S) uses in their's. It's partly traditional but it also seems to give the extractor a little flex (whereas it might not break the hook quite as easily as a rigid forged/cast part would). Probably academic unless you shoot as many rounds as Rob Latham or Clint Smith but every little bit helps, right?
    Jack

Maclean's post above hit why i use the C&S extractor does it really make a difference probley not

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    Maclean's post above hit why i use the C&S extractor does it really make a difference probley not
    It's never a bad idea to stick to original specs.

~ Tiger McKee

UPDATE:
    The 'smith told me yesterday it'd take about a week for him to get to my gun. Well, he called this morning about 10:00am and said it's ready to be picked up. Can't beat 24 hour service!

Only problem is, I can't afford to pick it up until the end of the month. Oh well, my slide stop hasn't come in yet anyway. Just emailed Hakan Pek about some custom grips too, she's gonna be a beauty.
    Jack

Links