Odd trip to the range with Glock 30 - pic

This is a discussion on Odd trip to the range with Glock 30 - pic within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, today I had an interesting trip to the range, 2nd time with my new Glock 30. I was hoping my best friend and neighbor ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Odd trip to the range with Glock 30 - pic

Well, today I had an interesting trip to the range, 2nd time with my new Glock 30. I was hoping my best friend and neighbor would be joining me with his Glock 22 his father recently gave him, but he bailed on me in the last minute...his loss.

Anyway, it was a chilly morning here in the upstate of South Carolina, but blue skies, an a good day to throw a couple down range. When I arrive there are a number of trucks at the range already, but only 2 people at the pistol bench...a good sign for a Saturday. Everyone else was either shooting rifle or shotgun.

At the pistol bench is a father and son, who have their gear over the entire bench. Not a big deal, as I do the same if I am the only one there. However, I am a very considerate person, and if I saw someone waiting to shoot, I'd make room. I figured I'd just wait a bit and hope they wouldn't be there all day. To my dismay, I watched the father then take a shot...then adjust the sight. Take a shot, and adjust. Take a shot, then adjust. Mind you, each time he shoots, he is adjusting a loaded weapon in hand. He is shooting without a rest, just in weaver stance, then adjusting. Anywho...The Rifle Officer took notice that I was waiting and kindly asked them to make room, which they did. I said kindly, "good morning gentlemen," to which they replied...nothing.

Well I am not there to make conversation anyway. I take out my gear and get my magazines out and get my target out and wait until they are done shooting to head down range to place my target...10 yards out.

The two next to me wait for me to take my shots downrange. So, start shooting. Not like ultra-rapid or anything, but in a fairly fast manner (I really wanted to test the reset on the Glock 30). Inbetween my shots I hear, "Someone teach that boy how to shoot!" I lower my firearm in a safe direction and look to my right, and this old guy shooting rifle is looking right at me. I am thinking to myself, I am in a good stance, holding my pistol properly, so he must be commenting on the speed in which I am shooting. So I am a bit pissed off at this point. First of all, he knows me from no one, hasn't seen the target, and I am sure the person who taught me to shoot could outshoot him any day of the week and twice on Sunday (Marine Sniper, Marine DI, weapons instructor, and police officer, and a great shot!) Anyway, I continue on wondering if I should say anything back or not. Choosing to be non-confrontational, I keep my mouth shut.

Here's the target...which I don't think I did too bad.

I continue with my day, and have a pretty good time at the range...until...old guy who made the stupid comment heads downrange to put up a new target. To get downrange for the rifles you have to walk down the side of the pistol range. So, I put my pistol down, unloaded, and wait. He comes back and is about 25 yards out, when the idiot father next to me picks up his pistol, loaded and begins to point it at his target 10 yards downrange, telling his son how to use the sights. The old guy stops and waves...the father doesn't see him, or ignores him. The old guy knows I see him so he waves to me to tell the idiot next to me that he is down range...I yell, "Gentlemen, there is a man downrange!" The father just points the pistol down towards the bench and continues to talk to his son...doesn't acknowledge what I said or even acknowledge the old guy. Next, the RO comes out, and he is livid and pissed. He told them to spend some time reading the rules, and to be careful. The father just said he was trying to show his son how to look down the sights. Personally, he should have been told to leave, but not my call. I finished up my last magazine and headed out.

As for the Glock 30...a great gun. I like the way it handles. After 75 rounds my wrist starts to feel the recoil of the .45. I could throw 9mm downrange all day without a problem with my Taurus PT111. It's not a big deal, but just noticeable after awhile.

I also purchased a used Glock 21 magazine, and an A&G spacer and tried that out...I was pleased as to the fit of the spacer and the added grip was nice. Not ideal for CC, but good for a backup magazine.

Here's the pic:
    Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

That is the kind of guy that needs to be banned from ranges.... glad every one made it home alive.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Nice shootring!
    I wish I had done that well today. 76% of shots in a 2" group isn't what I like to see.

As far as the idiot, I would have insisted he be removed by the RO or I would have left and came back another time. At the range safety must be a top priority, nothing less.

Maybe after being nearly shot during a target check at the ripe old age of 12 makes me a little more sensistive than the average person, but there is no excuse for his behavior.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

AMV
    I agree w/Rugergirl, when safety at a range has been compromised, I'm off like a prom dress.
    Glock19
    Taurus Millennium PT145PRO SS
    Sig P220, Sig 556
    RRA M4, Mossberg 500
    Supersoaker 3000 Water Cannon

Quote Originally Posted by AMV View Post
    I agree w/Rugergirl, when safety at a range has been compromised, I'm off like a prom dress.
    Same here. It only takes one idiot and one bullet to ruin my day at the range...
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Alternate explanation...

"In between my shots I hear, "Someone teach that boy how to shoot!" I lower my firearm in a safe direction and look to my right, and this old guy shooting rifle is looking right at me."
    This was probably an attempt at humor. The old guy might have seen how well you were shooting and been trying to compliment you. I think this is called a "backhanded compliment".
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

mkh
    There is just no excuse (and no understanding) for how inconsiderate and dangerous some people can be.

The thing that aggravates me the most about this is that the father was teaching the son. Talk about the blind leading the blind.

This is why I go to a range with target retrieval that is automated! I would be pissed to say the least with the lack of safety that he showed, as far as the old guy is concerned...

I had a similar thing happen at the range a few months back. I threw a couple of shots downrange and the guy in the booth next to me says "You need some lessons or something!", I looked at him and he was not smiling back... then I shot a few more times (I forget what stance but as far as I knew he could only see my target and not me (walls seperate us)). A few minutes later he pokes his head in and says "You do know I was kidding right?" I didn't, I really thought he was being critical of my shoothing...it led to him asking ME for some tips and we now go shooting together a few times a month!

Some old guys have the weirdest sense of humor!
    Pray for our nations leaders!

VIP Member
    I also prefer to go to automated ranges, no walking down range for me. The ONLY time I shoot at an outdoor range is if there is noone there I don't know and trust. I'd rather wait 'till they leave than get shot.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Are there any automated ranges in Spartanburg or nearby? Where did you go?

I go to Wofford but have only been to outdoor ranges in Union, but wouldn't mind a good place to go near school. Hope I don't run into any idiots like the guy you mentioned, though...

At first I thought the old guy was joking, but he couldn't see my target. He didn't have that "I'm kidding" look on his face. I donno...just rubbed me wrong, and made me work harder at finding the center of the target

Quote Originally Posted by TerrierMike View Post
    Are there any automated ranges in Spartanburg or nearby? Where did you go?

I go to Wofford but have only been to outdoor ranges in Union, but wouldn't mind a good place to go near school. Hope I don't run into any idiots like the guy you mentioned, though...
    I don't know of any automated ranges in Spartanburg, but there is one in Greenville. I haven't been there yet. I don't know of any ranges that are CLOSE to Spartanburg. I go the Gaffney range..it's a bit of a drive but on weekdays it's DEAD...This Saturday reminded me of why I don't like to go on the weekends. We should meet up some where and talk "shop"!

Oh, and welcome to DC!!
    Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

VIP Member

inconsiderate and dangerous

Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    There is just no excuse (and no understanding) for how inconsiderate and dangerous some people can be.
    Inconsiderate and dangerous go together. The inconsiderate individual is too tied up in themselves to concern themselves with the safety of others around them. They are an accident that is going to happen.

We see this all the time with inconsiderate drivers we know we'll see later either pulled over or in a wreck. At work we see this when workers are inconsiderate of each other and productivity falls, or when supervisors are inconsiderate of subordinates and productivity falls.

Inconsideration is a hallmark of a big time personality problem and such people should be avoided. Common courtesy counts.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Must have been idiot day at my local gun shop/range. Shooters at both ends of the place were acting like obnoxious teenagers, running around yelling and shouting.
    One dumb $^&*% walked up so close behind me that as I pushed in a full mag and pulled my right foot back slightly I actually banged my heel into her toes. What in the $&($# is somebody doing that close to another shooter?
    I don't mind if someone wants to watch me shoot when I'm doing a special drill, but for You-know-who's sake don't approach from directly behind and get so close I can feel your breath on my neck.
    GRRRR!!!!
    Ok, I feel a little better now, but if I see the same woman at the range again I won't be firing until she's finsihed and gone.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

sounds like you encountered both and idiot and a Fudd in the same day...great times
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    sounds like you encountered both and idiot and a Fudd in the same day...great times
    Good way to put it!
    Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links