Anyone know what might have caused G 26 to malfunction?

This is a discussion on Anyone know what might have caused G 26 to malfunction? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yesterday at the range the Glock 26 I rented jammed on me. I successfully loaded and shot the first four magazines. I then loaded a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know what might have caused G 26 to malfunction?

Yesterday at the range the Glock 26 I rented jammed on me. I successfully loaded and shot the first four magazines. I then loaded a mag with ten Federal 115 gr FMJ cartridges and put the mag in, then when I tried to first rack the slide to chamber the first round it slipped back out of my hand (had only pushed it back about an inch or less (butterfingers I feel like). So I then racked it back completely and was able to successfully shoot either only the first or first & second rounds then it jammed.

I held the pistol down range for 30 seconds or so and kept it pointed that way. I couldn't see inside the chamber so I slapped the mag to be sure it was in all the way (and it was) and tried to rack the slide but it wouldn't go. I removed the mag and still couldn't rack the slide, so I went and got one of the staff to assist. He tried what I did then he removed the magazine and held the slide down near the end of the barrel and pushed it up real hard while pushing down hard with the grip, and the cartridge ejected. He showed me the cartridge was slightly bent (tip where bullet resides was pushed down just a bit on one side). We then put he cartridge in the barrel from the top and saw it would not sit in there. He said I was maybe not holding the pistol correctly to cause this to happen to the cartridge. I wonder if it was because I had the slide slip back when I tried to chamber the first round?

I am very new to firearms (took some classes and have been renting pistols to decide which to purchase for carrying) and this is about the 4th or 5th time I've rented that G26. Would anyone have any insight into what I might have done to cause this and know how to prevent this in the future? And was there another approach I should have known to use to eject the bad cartridge?

I was able to load and shoot the rest of the cartridges with no problem by the way, after the jam was cleared. Thanks for any advice you might share with me. I'm thinking of phoning Glock to see if a support person there might have some insight into this.

VIP Member
    Doesn't sound like anything you did, my guess was a defective round from the factory. Was this range ammo or did you take it there with you?

It was range ammo, Federal American Eagle 115 gr FMJ (9mm). I suppose this will make me want to check every round thoroughly before putting it in a magazine. The Range Officer felt the cartridge got bent in the firearm - said it may have been how I was holding it when I shoot. However I wonder if my miscue when I first attempted to rack the slide may have caused it?

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    If the pistol functioned correctly after the bent cartridge was removed, the problem could not be the pistol; I concur with archer51.

If you pull the slide back less than the amount required to snag the rear of the next cartridge, like doing a press check, I can't see how that would damage a cartridge either.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    My guess, either defective ammo or just a dirty gun. Some shops/ranges don't always do the best job of cleaning rental guns.
    As far as how you were holding the gun affecting the ammo, I'd doubt that, how were you holding it?
    Here is a good video for clearing a jam:
    YouTube - Pistol Malfunction Clearance
    good pistol grip video here:
    YouTube - How to grip a pistol
    Last edited by Rugergirl; February 22nd, 2009 at 09:25 AM.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

I had a grip similar to the YouTube video depicted; may have been gripping it a little harder though. I've rented that pistol several other times with no malfunctions and used it in one of my classes. It took some brute force to get the slide to rack and eject the cartridge.

Quote Originally Posted by AZDeckert View Post
    I had a grip similar to the YouTube video depicted; may have been gripping it a little harder though. I've rented that pistol several other times with no malfunctions and used it in one of my classes. It took some brute force to get the slide to rack and eject the cartridge.
    In that case I would lean strongly toward the gun needing a good cleaning or just plain defective ammo. With a proper grip I can't understand that being the cause of the problem. IOW, it's not you or anything you did wrong.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

My guess is that since you short stroked the initial chambering that the slide actually damaged the first cartridge as well as possibly running the second round forward in the magazine far enough to contact the feed ramp and jamming things as the barrel needs to tilt down at the breech to come out of lock-up. Just a little different twist on a limp-wrist jam actually, but that might explain why it was so hard to eject the first unfired round.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    My guess is that since you short stroked the initial chambering that the slide actually damaged the first cartridge as well as possibly running the second round forward in the magazine far enough to contact the feed ramp and jamming things as the barrel needs to tilt down at the breech to come out of lock-up. Just a little different twist on a limp-wrist jam actually, but that might explain why it was so hard to eject the first unfired round.
    If that is what happened, and if I should ever short stroke the initial chambering again, what would be the best thing for me to do right after that to eject and check the cartridges? Have you ever short stroked the initial chambering?

I think I had this happen once as I got started and rented a couple semi-automatics at a range to try it out. I attributed it to the partially racked slide. The first "racking" delivered the bullet only half way and then the second time it just jammed it with a second bullet. I considered it operating error. Overall, badly maintained range guns, cheap ammunition and a novice shooter let to enough malfunctions to me back then that my first gun was a revolver. Since then, I "recovered" from the early mishaps and I switched to semi-autos later.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

I've had my hand slip off the slide while racking my Kimber. The worst that has happened is the round hit the feed ramp straight on and not at the proper angle it needs to feed the round. Simpy dropping the mag and pulling the slide fully back drops the round through the mag slot in the grip, but it's never damaged the round.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    If that is what happened, and if I should ever short stroke the initial chambering again, what would be the best thing for me to do right after that to eject and check the cartridges? Have you ever short stroked the initial chambering?
    I've done this too. Damn sweaty palms. I've found the best thing to do is drop the mag, lock the slide, remove the round and start over.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Range rental guns are not good examples to judge overall quality by so don't think that particular gun is representative of the rest of the G26 lineup. It's hard telling what the issue was though without actually seeing the failure first hand.

Quote Originally Posted by morintp View Post
    I've done this too. Damn sweaty palms. I've found the best thing to do is drop the mag, lock the slide, remove the round and start over.
    Yep, that's the safe thing to do. I would also take a look at the ejected round (if there is one) and the first round left in the magazine to see if either one is damaged and to make sure the cartridges are seated in the mag correctly. Like Ram Rod said - a short stroke can cause some problems - that's probably what happened.

First thing I would do is to remove the magazine. Second, if I couldn't manipulate the slide manually, I'd push the muzzle up against a hard surface such as the range table or a post while keeping the muzzle in a safe direction and my finger away from the trigger and possibly use two hands force on the frame to dislodge the slide. No, I've never short stroked the slide chamberring a first round from a closed slide. Generally speaking that should be rather hard to do since the slide needs to come back far enough to strip the top round off the magazine in the first place unless the feed lips are damaged and the cartridge moves up before it's time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links