New HD pistol, can't decide...

This is a discussion on New HD pistol, can't decide... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; All, I have some money saved, and I want a new pistol. I'm mostly focusing on Sig, but I want to keep it under 800 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New HD pistol, can't decide...

All,
    I have some money saved, and I want a new pistol. I'm mostly focusing on Sig, but I want to keep it under 800 and that is proving to be difficult. I found a used 239 SAS that seems to be very clean for 750. I might offer a lower number but in this day and age they may tell me where to stick my offer.

So, because of the $$ on the Sig, I'm also considering a CZ SP01, which seems to be available on Gunbroker for 650 or so new. However I am unsure of the quality of the finish they use.

Right now I'm totally torn... I have 3 carry guns (Kahr, Glock 26 and LCP), so this one will primarily stay at home in the bedside safe. My requirements are somewhat vague in my own head unfortunately, but I do want a metal frame and preferably a double stack for higher cap in either 9 or 40.

If anyone has any insight, ideas or other suggestions I would love to read them. Even though I have listed only two here, I am still brainstorming.

Thanks in advance.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

you can buy a 45 and a 9 in Bersa for 800 and have money for ammo left over.Just as good as any gun u mentioned in opinion.
    Well You Boys Gonna Pull Them Pistols, Or Whistle Dixie.

What about a Beretta 92FS? I forgot the Number of the 40cal version but its the same size.

ETA: its the Beretta 96 in 40sw.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

My suggestion is either a

Springfield XD45 or XDm 40 with night sights. Both are great reliable guns that carry a lifetime warranty. I own both and love them. The XD45c with tru glo TFO sights is in my night stand with 13 + 1 rounds of Corbon DXP 185 grain JHP. The XDm holds 16 + 1.

You can get a used Sig P220/P226/P228/P229 for less than $800
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Quote Originally Posted by WRGADog View Post
    Springfield XD45 or XDm 40 with night sights. Both are great reliable guns that carry a lifetime warranty. I own both and love them. The XD45c with tru glo TFO sights is in my night stand with 13 + 1 rounds of Corbon DXP 185 grain JHP. The XDm holds 16 + 1.
    " but I do want a metal frame and preferably a double stack for higher cap in either 9 or 40. "

All the tactical Tupperware is out.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    I'll throw a monkey wrench;since you have 3 quality handguns, would you consider a shotgun? Great for home defense, easily within your budget and very effective.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by bbqgrill View Post
    I'll throw a monkey wrench;since you have 3 quality handguns, would you consider a shotgun? Great for home defense, easily within your budget and very effective.
    I feel everyone should have a shotgun... but for me, with a 2 year old, I need the bedside weapon to be in a safe and out of sight. Also, pistols are my hobby. I do appreciate the idea though, it certainly is rational.

Also, I do have an SKS with good pile of rounds just sitting in the big safe for shtf.
    Dave

-Herman Melville

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger View Post
    I feel everyone should have a shotgun... but for me, with a 2 year old, I need the bedside weapon to be in a safe and out of sight. Also, pistols are my hobby. I do appreciate the idea though, it certainly is rational.

Also, I do have an SKS with good pile of rounds just sitting in the big safe for shtf.
    I sure understand the kid issue, I have 3 daughters but they are a bit older than yours. So given your situation I go with a Ruger P series as a suggestion. Rugers are very price competitive and reliable but usually overlooked because their size makes them difficult as EDC guns. I hav a P85 that I bought well over 20 years ago and it always goes bang.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

VIP Member
    The polycoat finish on the CZ is very durable. I have the P-01, P-06 and 2 RAMI's and have had no problems with the finish. The P-01 is built tough and will give you a life time of service. The following link gives a rundown on the testing they were put through for NATO certification.

CZUSA - Press downloads

Quote Originally Posted by rednecksport View Post
    you can buy a 45 and a 9 in Bersa for 800 and have money for ammo left over.Just as good as any gun u mentioned in opinion.
    That is true.. I like the Bersa 380's, but have not given much thought about there larger framed pistols.

I was mostly considering something on the 'higher end'- and perhaps I am letting my snobbery get in the way of buying the right item(s).

Thanks for the tip, I'll look into them.
    Dave

-Herman Melville

Quote Originally Posted by Delta Force View Post
    You can get a used Sig P220/P226/P228/P229 for less than $800
    Very true DF, I just spotted the CPO Sig 226 on budsgunshop.com for 569! I will be looking into the CPO program from Sig. This may be just what I was looking for.
    Dave

-Herman Melville

VIP Member
    All metal - double stack... pony up the bucks and go with the SIG!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Wow! An easy question.

Go to your nearest gun dealer and pick up your favorite caliber of a Smith & Wesson M&P. The M&P has been chosen by more more than 370 LE departments, for their "issued" firearm since it was introduced in 2006. That is more NEW LE agency contracts than any other brand in the same time period. Most of those contracts have come at the expense of Glock and Sig Sauer. Sorry, Springfield... You have no LE contracts to lose.
    "Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."

I would not try to talk you out of buying a Sig. I have a .40 P239 and it is certainly not for sale. However, I do not use it for bed side keeping. I use it for carry when dress code requires a something slim and small. For bed side duty, I prefer something larger in every way, like my trusty old West German made .45 P220. Newer P220 magazines hold 8 rounds. I have heard of but not personally held a 10 round magazine. No worries as my bed side bag has spare magazines, a light and a blade.

With practice and ammo selection, the larger P220 is going to be easier control with less recoil and flash than a P239. All good qualities in a bed side pistol, IMHO.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links