Glocks, Safety, & How to Carry

This is a discussion on Glocks, Safety, & How to Carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been carrying (concealed) a S&W 637 and/or a Ruger SP101 in .357 Mag depending on my attire. I have recently bought a new, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glocks, Safety, & How to Carry

Glocks, Safety, & How to Carry

I have been carrying (concealed) a S&W 637 and/or a Ruger SP101 in .357 Mag depending on my attire. I have recently bought a new, Glock G30, .45 which I would like to start carrying concealed as well. My question is, after reading some other threads, what is your opinion on the "safeness" of the G30 if I carry it in either a "belly band" or shoulder harness like these:

Concealment Holsters at great prices, Nylon, Suede like, Leather

I respect the vast knowledge of the people on this forum and would appreciate any thoughts you might give on this...thanks in advance.

2. Remove Ads

Your #1 safety is between your ears. Seriously, as long as you can comfortably draw/remove the Glock without putting your finger on the trigger, then you are doing just fine. No finger on the trigger=no bang!
    Heavily Medicated For Your Protection

What's the difference between the Glock and your double action revolvers?
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

IMO, the primary safety of any firearm relies on the user. First, you must understand all the mechanical safety features of your gun. Second, you must practice to ensure your proficiency and the proper operation of such gun. I think Glocks are as safe as any handgun, you must make sure that the trigger is properly protected by a good holster while carrying (which is a wise idea with any gun) and keep the finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

VIP Member
    Glocks are a great weapon and as safe as the owner.

The only way I carried my G-23 when I had one was in a holster that covered the trigger and would not allow manipulation of the trigger through it. I have learned with not only Glocks but with all weapons to S-L-O-W-L-Y holster and stop immediately if there is any resistance, look to be sure the holster is clear and then again S-L-O-W-L-Y holster.

I think in time and with experience you'll come to really enjoy that G-30. If not, well... send it to me!

And hey, welcome aboard!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by NavDoc View Post
    Your #1 safety is between your ears. Seriously, as long as you can comfortably draw/remove the Glock without putting your finger on the trigger, then you are doing just fine. No finger on the trigger=no bang!
    Not entirely true. When I went through my CCW class, my instuctor told me about someone who removed his sidearm and the little plastic thing that tightens the elastic on the bottom of his jacket/sweater/wind breaker, got caught in the trigger guard. Well the pistol went off, (he took a pic of the plastic thing with the blood on it as a trainer). But yes, Your #1 safety is between your ears.
    "Manners are good when one may have to back up his actions with his life" Robert Heinlein"

Quote Originally Posted by Reicher View Post
    Not entirely true. When I went through my CCW class, my instuctor told me about someone who removed his sidearm and the little plastic thing that tightens the elastic on the bottom of his jacket/sweater/wind breaker, got caught in the trigger guard. Well the pistol went off, (he took a pic of the plastic thing with the blood on it as a trainer). But yes, Your #1 safety is between your ears.
    Indeed......be wary of any loose clothing or outer garments getting in the way. Any holstering or re-holstering of the pistol should be performed pretty much the same as the draw....sweep and clear all loose clothing out of the way, and even visually look at what you're doing if possible, especially when carrying IWB. Practice with an unloaded pistol, or even in front of a mirror.

I went to the website you had linked to in your post. It looks to me like the gun would be safe enough in these holsters. But, and this is a big but, I would never try to reholster your Glock in any of these holsters while you are wearing them. Soft cloth holsters are not usually used by anyone who has carried for a while. I suggest that you get yourself a leather or kydex holster that is made for your gun.

Just keep your booger picker outta the trigger guard ond no boom...easy enough for a chimp...

Quote Originally Posted by georgewain View Post
    I went to the website you had linked to in your post. It looks to me like the gun would be safe enough in these holsters. But, and this is a big but, I would never try to re holster your Glock in any of these holsters while you are wearing them. Soft cloth holsters are not usually used by anyone who has carried for a while. I suggest that you get yourself a leather or Kydex holster that is made for your gun.
    +1 Deep concealment holsters of this kind are for carry more than use!

If you have a problem with people seeing you with a gun, job etc. If it is not illegal for you to carry, go to a Keltec .380 in a front pant pocket holster, you give up a lot in power, but instant response/accessibility might just trump the method you suggest.

I agree with everyone else, keep your finger and other things out of the trigger guard and you'll be fine.

I carry a G30 or a G21 IWB using an MTAC and a belt by the Beltman and everything is very comfortable and conceals well. I have never used a system like in your link but a fully loaded G30 is not a light weapon. I would be concerned with the elastic or nylon material sagging and not holding the G30 securely.

Neither of your revolvers has safeties... why would you be concerned with safeties on a Glock??? Or is your question about "safeness"??? I consider Glocks much safer than any revolver... trigger safety, striker safety... and a gun that can shoot with things that can be broken inside... if you want to know more attend one of the Glock Armory courses... great class and highly recommended if you can find one.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    What's the difference between the Glock and your double action revolvers?
    In my experience, my D/A revolver requires a much, much longer and harder pull of the trigger, so the chance of an A/D or N/D I believe is less likely.

It may be my perception, but I feel much safer carrying my 642 revolver then a glock or similar semi-automatic with no manual safety.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Thanks for the info

Thanks to all very much for the thoughtful replies. Yes, I guess I have more confidence carrying the snubby revolver because of its' longer, heavier pull. I'm new to carrying the Glock so I'll take your advice and maybe carry unloaded, at home, for a few days to make sure that Glock G30 doesn't go off by itself ...and to build more confidence in me and not the gun. Thanks again for your input...much appreciated.

it's not going to "go off by itself." If you have proper gunhandling skills, particularly proper trigger-finger discipline, you will have no problems.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links