I'm Thinking About Going to the 1911...

This is a discussion on I'm Thinking About Going to the 1911... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've owned 7 1911s over past 40+ years and other than having to tune an extractor on a brand new one, never had as much ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm Thinking About Going to the 1911...

I've owned 7 1911s over past 40+ years and other than having to tune an extractor on a brand new one, never had as much maintenance issues as I've had with some revolvers. Oldest one is 1943 vintage 1911a1 that's had many thousand rds thru it since I bought it (for $40 in 1968) & all I've ever done to it is change springs a few times.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by McPatrickClan View Post
    I was mostly concerned about having to do a lot of upkeep/maintenance but it does not seem like that is an issue with you guys.
    Ok, I have to address this... What do you mean by maintenance; replace things, or keep it clean and oiled? If it's the latter, I suggest you start to modify your thinking. Do you maintain your car? Does your life potentially depend that maintenance. How much more then should you maintain your personal defense tool!

I always clean and oil my guns after every shooting trip. They always perform well, and I have never worn anything out. If you keep a 1911 clean and oiled, you should never have a problem. If you don't want to spend 30 minutes doing that after you shoot it, you are just asking for trouble - no matter what platform you choose.

There, I feel better now...

1911's don't require any more maintenance or repairs that any other type. I have a Taurus PT1911 with about 2000 rounds thru it, with ZERO problems. I also have a Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail that has been trouble free so far, (about 750 rounds thru it). Do stay with the Government (5") or the Commander (4,1/4") as the 1911's seem to become problematic when you go down to the 3" models.
    We the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now able to do anything with nothing.

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar
    Rimcrew- you make a great point and I appreciate your comments.

To answer your question, I mean replace & actually work on the hardware itself. I do not mean regular maintenance. I had heard that 1911s can be a bit picky and after doing a Google search, I found an article that suggested being prepared for a "fluff & buff" which included regularly using a Dremel tool to shape the parts by hand. I have never used a Dremel in my life, though I am willing to learn, just not on my $600 EDC pistol. :)

It sounds like most 1911s have advanced to the point that if you do a reasonable amount of maintenance on them (cleaning, oiling, proper storage, etc.) then you will have no significant problems, barring unforeseen manufacturer error.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    I have a chopped RIA compact (3.5 inch) and it eats everything I put in it. It is steel so it is a little heavy but it carries very well. It has GI sights but I am confident that at close range it will do it's job. I was shooting at steel plates at 25m the other day and was consistently scoring hits with it.

Get some good quality mags whatever 1911 you decide to go with. I believe that many of the issues with 1911's are magazine related.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Quote Originally Posted by McPatrickClan View Post
    Rimcrew- you make a great point and I appreciate your comments.

To answer your question, I mean replace & actually work on the hardware itself. I do not mean regular maintenance.
    Sorry sir, I jumped to the wrong conclusion. My bad.

You may have to replace a spring here and there, after several thousand rounds, but other than that there should be no abnormal maintenance. The parts are cheap, readily available, and easy for anyone to replace.

Finally, as a new convert to 1911's, I think I am in love! I was a big Glock guy, and they are fine tools, but I sure do like the feel of the 1911 platform. I think you will too.

I used my full size Springfield G.I. 45 today in my CPL class. Fired about 250 rounds with in 2 hours and had a FTE because I limped wristed 2nd to last round on a rapid fire point aim. I absolutely love mine and I even found some NOS WWII plastic grips for it and the fit with out any modification. Needless to say it turned a few heads.

The range master actually came over and almost ripped me a new one for bringing in a nice vintage WWII 1911 for a CPL class. Once I showed him the Springfield slide he apologized and walked away.

I can tell you the stock low profile sights are not really for target shooting but if you are looking for a NICE 1911 that will shoot center of mass with out even having to really pick up a perfect sight picture I recommend the Springfield.

I just got a RIA 5" barrel GI clone, and I love mine. The GI sights leave a little to be desired ,but hey its the no frills model for under $500 dollars.

Haven't got to shoot anything but FMJ in it so far, but it eats these like candy with no problem. I can honestly say if I have my way there will be a couple more 1911A1's in the future.

+1

I too have chosen a 1911 for my carry piece. I have cc'd for about 8years. I used to carry a USPc .45 but I transitioned to the dark side about 5 years ago and never went back.

I alternate between a Springfield Mil-Spec Micro Compact and a Kimber Pro-Carry II.

I don't have any concerns about alternating between these 2 guns because ergonomically they are identical. The sight picture is better with the additional inch of barrel on the Pro-Carry. I confess I shoot better groups with the Pro-Carry but with the close proximity a self defense situation would probably occur it wouldn't make any difference.

These guns don't require any more maintenance than anything else I have in the safe. Someone already said you maintain your car a certain way and I maintain my guns in great detail as well.

As someone who has worked on a few, and seen more than a few through a smith's shop: if I were spending $600 on a weapon I wanted to be 99.9% sure would function 100% out of the box, it would not be a 1911. There are simply too many makers and too many sub-contractors. As many here will attest- it can be an extremely reliable weapon, but...

I've rebuilt 3, but I will not carry another as they cannot do not anything Glock or XD can't do more simply and with greater tolerance for varying ammo, severe use and abuse. At this stage, I don't need a "neat piece of history," I need things that can function with absolute minimalist care. Your needs may not be mine...

Quote Originally Posted by 7mm Gumbo View Post
    Get a 5" Springer Mil Spec or G.I. and you will not be disapointed. Welcome to world of big bore single action sidearms.
    When I'm ready for my 1911, this is exactly what I'm going for...either the Mil Spec or GI.
    Semper Fi - USMC 1987-1991
    God Squad 1985-Present

SA XD 40s&w Subcompact
    Ruger GP161 357 Magnum

Rock On

I have a compact RIA and it is a great gun. Solid, accurate, no errors. I'm still in the break-in (or settle-in as some call it) with about 200 rounds through it, and no problems with FMJ, HP, JHP or the reloads I ran through it. No FTL, FTF, or anything else. And at under $400.00, it's a great buy. You can get a Tactical model with special hammer, trigger, sights, etc.

Not my EDC,( that's a Glock ) but I'm quite happy with my Taurus PT 1911's, BOTH of them.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    As someone who has worked on a few, and seen more than a few through a smith's shop: if I were spending $600 on a weapon I wanted to be 99.9% sure would function 100% out of the box, it would not be a 1911. There are simply too many makers and too many sub-contractors. As many here will attest- it can be an extremely reliable weapon, but...

I've rebuilt 3, but I will not carry another as they cannot do not anything Glock or XD can't do more simply and with greater tolerance for varying ammo, severe use and abuse. At this stage, I don't need a "neat piece of history," I need things that can function with absolute minimalist care. Your needs may not be mine...
    I'm not sure what it is with Rob and me lately; we seem to be agreeing on just about everything, and I agree wholeheartedly with his comments quoted above.

I just bought a Glock 21SF for $539. It gives me 14 rounds of .45 ACP in a package that weighs less than an unloaded 1911. It also sits lower in the hand and has noticeably less recoil than a 1911.

Certainly, if you want a 1911 (and I have eight 1911s and think the world of them) then by all means get one and enjoy it. It is truely a piece of history in your hand.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

VIP Member
    Just be warmed, once you buy a 1911... you will buy more!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links