What is wrong with some people?

This is a discussion on What is wrong with some people? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Man, you guys spoil me rotten. I'd forgotten how backwards some people's priorities are. Myself a friend and another party had a discussion the other ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is wrong with some people?

What is wrong with some people?

Man, you guys spoil me rotten. I'd forgotten how backwards some people's priorities are.

Myself a friend and another party had a discussion the other day that started with the perfect hamburger and turned to carry guns. Anyway, my friend carries a Makarov and has carried that same Makarov for, well, forever it seems. At least a year and a half probably longer. It's his signature weapon you could say.

The Makarov is not my first choice, but it works just fine I suppose.

Anyway, and believe me I've talked to guys just as dedicated to Glock and HK etc., Goober starts gushing over his 1911 with its customized magwell and stippling on the front of the well and custom finish and custom grips. There's nothing wrong with that but then he turns a normal conversation sour with the comment:

"It's better than any plastic wonder pistol and a far sight better than that piece of junk you're carrying." The POJ was the Makarov for clarity.

I took offense to that. "Well what makes you think your gun is so much better?"

His answer was that the .45 will knock a man down and the 9mm Mak would likely get deflected by a button or thick clothing. I told him that was just wrong. He wouldn't believe me because his "Buddy in the Army had seen it happen!"

So I let that go and then asked him why, since my gun (XD45ACP) was also a .45 ACP, why won't it knock a man down? And he said because it's not made for serious shooting.

And I said how do you mean, and he said the tolerances weren't tight enough to put the necessary pressure behind the bullet.

I'd had just about enough and told him he should really substantiate his claims more in the future. I also mentioned to him that while I don't even own a 1911, all of his customization is purely cosmetic and external and in no way meaningfully impacts the performance of the gun.

At that point I left before I heard more nonsense. Later my friend called me back and we made fun of him for 30 minutes.

2. Remove Ads

Euc ya got to remember the 1911 true nuts will see nothing but it just like the kool aid drinking glocks cant see nothing but glock

or the sig people nothing but sig ya get my point ...

At that point you figure out so and so is a ______ nut just don't bother talking to them you wasting your time

Membership Revoked Array HappyGunner's Avatar
    Well I really like and trust my three 1911s But I also have my Glock23 that I also like and trust.

I have my reasons why and when I carry each type.

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    Was Goober really his name or were you just calling him that?

Some brand specific people get a little outa control sometimes, but only the "Goober" ones resort to making fun of the other brands (which I don't do) . Shame you had to have this conversation as it makes other die hard fans of the 1911 look bad.

Lead Moderator
    nothing wrong with most guns out there. A mak makes a decent carry gun. As rfurtkamp pointed out, lots of 1911's are out there that don't run right from the factory. It's just amazing how foolish some folks are , in there gun is the "best" and nothing else is worth using.

+1 on the above thoughts.
    the same arguments can apply to ford vs chevy vs dodge.
    to each there own.

not one major manufacturer, be it guns, cars, computers, etc. turns out 'junk' IMHO. they are all 'good' at there purpose.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by SOLOLUCKY
    +1 on the above thoughts.
    the same arguments can apply to ford vs chevy vs dodge.
    to each there own.

not one major manufacturer, be it guns, cars, computers, etc. turns out 'junk' IMHO. they are all 'good' at there purpose.

I owe my allegiance to no maker i have quite a few different guns by different makers

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    nothing wrong with most guns out there. A mak makes a decent carry gun. As rfurtkamp pointed out, lots of 1911's are out there that don't run right from the factory. It's just amazing how foolish some folks are , in there gun is the "best" and nothing else is worth using.
    That's it exactly! It's not about the Goober (no not his name) in question being a 1911 aficionado, the fact of the matter is the guy could have a Daewoo pistol and he'd tell the same stupid crap.

Nothing wrong with the gun there, it's the owner.

Probably a Goober on other issues too

Ya know...a Goober is a Goober..no matter what they are blabbing about. It comes down to respect. Whether it's guns, clothes, cars or pets...snobs will be snobs. And the uninformed or really dumb Goobers are the worst. There are sooooo many great guns out there to fit all of our carry needs...respect one another's choices.

I own tupperwear (UPS), I own 1911 (Kimber), and I will own a Mak one day.

All in all, I make fun of no gun. Heck, I've even fought for Jennings, Tec-9's, and Hi-Points for goodness sake.

Wayne

Well and the other thing about it is, what does he have to be snobbish about? The 1911 equivalent of bling bling? He mentioned no trigger work, no work on any internal components, nothing like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne
    All in all, I make fun of no gun. Heck, I've even fought for Jennings, Tec-9's, and Hi-Points for goodness sake.

Wayne

Now thats pushing it to far Wayne

1952 - 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White

Now thats pushing it to far Wayne
    I have to agree with Bud That's just pushing it.

Gun choice is strictly a personal matter. I have nothing against Glock or any other gun maker. I don't want to have to face any of them.

That said, I'm going to leave two quotes, one from Jeff Cooper and one from Clint Smith.

"The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair.Ē
    ~Jeff Cooper

ďThe 1911 remains popular because itís an efficient tool. In more than 30 years of experience, Iíve met more competent, serious gunmen who carry 1911ís than those who pack any other handgun. They are professionals Ė policemen, government agents and others who carry handguns daily because they know their life may depend on itÖMe? Iíve carried a 1911 every single day for the past 20 years. Itís a very comforting gun to have at your hip. It offers a good, consistent single-action trigger pull and is wonderfully dependable. Because the 1911 is basically a defensive handgun, Iím not concerned about tight groups. I donít bother with expanding hollowpoints that could cause feeding problems. For absolute reliability, I shoot only high-quality ball ammunition. That big .45 slug doesnít have to expand to be effective.Ē
    ~Clint Smith
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

And it's worth remarking Cooper praised the CZ 75B just as highly, and Clint Smith has since moved onto hyping up revolvers.

That's not to look for any sort of contradiction or hypocrisy, it's just to say that people who know what they're talking about can see the appeal of multiple things even if it's not their first choice.

VIP Member
    You have a high fallutin tricked out 1911 (or any other hi tech or plastic) and your oponent has a cheap Raven .25. You shoot, you miss, he shoots, he doesnt miss. Guess which gun won?
    Obviously not the gun but the shooter is what matters.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links