Stainless Ultra Carry II 9 mm

This is a discussion on Stainless Ultra Carry II 9 mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I think I made my decision today as what my 1st gun would be, the Kimber Stainless Ultra Carry II 9 mm. Shortly behind ...

Thread: Stainless Ultra Carry II 9 mm

Talking Stainless Ultra Carry II 9 mm

Well I think I made my decision today as what my 1st gun would be, the Kimber Stainless Ultra Carry II 9 mm.

Shortly behind this will be am S&W 5906 and 3913 (when I find one).

I am looking for something that...
    1. can be carried
    2. is chambered in 9mm
    3. is metal framed (ideally not steel though)
    4. can be shot frequently at the range
    5. is high quality/reliable

I decided against the Sig p239 because the Sig...
    1. was nearly as wide
    2. offered no round advantage
    3. had no safety
    4. controls reminded me of army surplus (Ironic huh)

I decided against the Kahr K9 because the Kahr...
    1. connection with the Moonies
    2. has a round disadvantage
    3. had no safety

The Kahr does feel nice in the hand though... Damn Moonies!

Where did I go wrong? Flame away!

2. Remove Ads

Okay, I'll bite.

What's with Kahr and the moonies?

Quote Originally Posted by Holger View Post
    Okay, I'll bite.

What's with Kahr and the moonies?
    Kahr Arms - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Buckeye View Post
    Well I think I made my decision today as what my 1st gun would be, the Kimber Stainless Ultra Carry II 9 mm.

Good choice. Great gun. I think that you will love it. Shoots great, low recoil, and easy concealed carry.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

sweet kimber man

Nobody has anything negative to say? No other opinions?

Conflict breeds creativity! If we both agree then one of is redundant!

I am honestly asking to make sure the decision is thought out. There has to be at least 1 Glock fan that thinks that if it doesn't hold 34 rounds you might as well surrender.

Buckeye, she is a beauty. I wonder if the 4" Pro Aegis ii is as good as choice.... is there any benefit to a 3" or 4" barrell? I would assume carry concealability to be so very close but how about accuracy? Thanks for starting this thread , the pictures make me dream of buying one. And where are the Springfield EMP folks? Wouldn't that be an alternative? Let me know if I am way off base here. Thanks.
    Below is the link to the Pro Aegis 9mm in 4"

Kimber - Continuing The Legacy
    Last edited by dougja; February 22nd, 2009 at 09:42 PM. Reason: picture problem

Got one, love it!

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Okay I'll bite; I think you missed a good one in the Kahr. The Son started making gun's and although the son is supposedly a member of Moon's church, there's nothing credible to indicated that any funds from Kahr arms is going into that church. I think that's kind of a bad rumor. If your objection the Moon unification church is that it preaches a false gospel (I believe it does) then you shouldn't support other religeous organizations that preach a false gospel. You'd be suprised which every day denominations all around us actually preach a false gospel if you simply compare what they teach to the bible. I won't go further publically but you'd be surprised what and who you already support with your dollars.

As for no safety, that's actually a "plus" on a dedicated carry weapon. No safety mean's one less manual control to be manipulated in a SD senario. The real safety in the Kahr is the brain of the shooter, the rule to keep your finger off the trigger until ready to fire and the ball bearing smooth DAO trigger.

As for round count, I think youi'll only get 1 extra round with one type of mag but for the most part I think you still end up with 8 rounds which is the same as the Kahr. At most you get 9 with one in the tube so you're only talking +1 on capacity which isn't significant enough when you're talking 8 & 9 rounds to be a difference. Either number is more than adequate for 99.99% of civilian SD scenarios. When you reload with the kahr you're reloading with an 8 round mag so total cap w/2 mags for the Kahr plus starting off with one in the tube is 16 shich is probably the same or even +1 round over the kimber.

Reliability. Just my opinion but I believe the Kahr will typically be more reliable and less finickey about ammo selection than any Kimber every made except possibly a full size .45 version.

Grip; I don't think there's a better grip out there than what you get with the Kahr K9; hand's down I believe it's one of the best feeling grips and best natural pointing grips of any weapon I've ever picked up including any 1911 variant which I happen to really like.

So in 9mm (a caliber I like) I would have give the Kahr the edge over the Kimber. In .45 I would have given the edge to the Kimber and if i was a big tall guy, I would have seriously considered the Sig.

For dedicated CCW I think the best weapon is a DAO (and a short pull one like the Kahr) with no controls other than a slide release and no mag disconnect.

I think the Kimber you selected is a fine weapon and even if it hiccups on certain JHP (something it's more likely to do than the Kahr), it'll turn out good in the end I'm sure. You'll need to practice swiping the thumb safety so you don't forget that in a bad moment. Everyone of us has forgotten a safety at one time or another but it's usually been hunting or at the range. Can't afford that in an SD situation. So if you go with a 1911 thumb safety gun, I'd recommend that be the only platform you use (for most of your shooting) so it's a constant thing.

There, another opinion. Enjoy the new gun when you get it and be sure to let us know how it does for you!

I have the same gun on order, good luck finding one. I am being told 3-4 months from when I ordered it.
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include thier own government --George Washington

Nice piece.
    Semper Fi - USMC 1987-1991
    God Squad 1985-Present

SA XD 40s&w Subcompact
    Ruger GP161 357 Magnum

Gideon, Awesome post!!! I think I would enjoy knocking back a few with you and discussing stuff like this.

For those that don't know "Gideon" was a Biblical Judge that chose to take on the Midianites with 300 men rather than a larger Army. So the biblical response is legit.

Now for my response....

I am agnostic, Married to a Catholic, with a Jewish step mother/sister, Baptist Brother in law, and my father was a minister. I celebrate Easter and Christmas as secular holidays with Bunnies and Elfs, but I had cancer when I was 19 and took 6 months while I was going through Chemo to study the worlds major religions (I highly suggest it at some point.)

The thing that always struck me was the audacity of people to say that they were God. Moon claims to be Messiah, the Second Coming of Christ and that he fulfilling Jesus' mission. Even if I believed him before, he would have lost me at a $5MM investment to found a gun company. To me that is not a WWJD moment.

I know there are a many companies that are owned/run by people that have idealogical beliefs that are different than mine, but I currently draw the line at not supporting the relative of the "second coming of Jesus."

Admittedly I may be making a personal religious/political statement that causes me to not buy a very fine firearm, or I'll get over it and buy one in the future, but I am not there yet. Had I not believed the 9mm 1911 to be a viable option I might have gotten over it sooner.

Who knows?

That Kimber is too pretty to try and argue with you.
    Wreck'em Tech! Go Red Raiders!

I have the Signess!

Sig Sauer P225 Montage Suisse / Sig Sauer P238 / Sig Sauer P226 9mm CPO / S&W M&P9c

I dunno...if I buy a Kahr, won't the Moon family be providing me with a tool to confront their attempted takeover of the globe? Wouldn't that be ironic for the good messiah to be done in by a unbeliever with an MK40?

Quote Originally Posted by NC Buckeye View Post
    Nobody has anything negative to say? No other opinions?
    Interesting choice, but if it were me, I'd get the 9mm Tactical Pro II. Did you also look at the Springfield EMP?

I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

Links