I tried out a XD9 & a G17 today

This is a discussion on I tried out a XD9 & a G17 today within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been looking for a full sized range gun, so I went to the range today to rent a XDM9 and a G17, but ...

Thread: I tried out a XD9 & a G17 today

Distinguished Member

I tried out a XD9 & a G17 today

I have been looking for a full sized range gun, so I went to the range today to rent a XDM9 and a G17, but they only had the XD. They both felt good in my hands. The XD did point more natural and I grouped a little better with it, but there was not that much difference between the groups. I was shooting at 10 yards with 115 gr. Speer Lawman ammo. I am going back next week and try a M&P9 and a CZPO1. I am a little rusty but I will show the pictures. This will help me choose one. The first target is the XD. I like it over the the Glock because of the grip angle makes the sights line up more naturally for me. This is not a bash thread so please don't take it that way, I have a Glock G23 and like it. You can bash my shooting though.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    If you can you should try a SigSauer P226. They point really naturally and feel great in the hand. (for me)
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Nothing wrong with your shooting. I think the biggest difference for people choosing between the XD and Glock is the feel and natural pointability. Keep us posted on what you finally decide.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I think I've shot every major variation of the Glock and XD lines. I thought I liked the XD's best, but once I picked up my new M&P9c I fell in love. Definitely try out the FS M&P next time you're at the range. I think you'll like the way it feels and points.
    Wreck'em Tech! Go Red Raiders!

I have the Signess!

Sig Sauer P225 Montage Suisse / Sig Sauer P238 / Sig Sauer P226 9mm CPO / S&W M&P9c

You might want to think about the Springfield XDm9... great size and feel, plus they have the interchangable back plate... this was one of my first magazines at approx 9-10 yds:

Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Administrator
    It looks to me like you shot the Glock better. You had a few trigger control issues, but you were more consistant with the Glock.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member
    Now that's a nice looking target fatboy. Yeah I have to get use to the mush in the triggers, I am use to single action 1911's and revolvers, but I do like the trigger reset on the XD and the Glock. Sixto do you think it is my finger placement or what?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by redrick View Post
    Sixto do you think it is my finger placement or what?
    It could be a number of things, but the most common would be to much finger on the trigger with a little anticipation. Don't let the trigger go any deeper on your finger than the first knuckle. Preferably just the meaty part of your finger tip. Once you select the gun you want, dry firing will cure the anticipation issue. All in all, you are in good shape, but there is always room to improve...right?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member
    Thanks, I am not to old to take good advice. I usually do that but I was not concentrating on it today, now that you bring it up I think that is what I was doing.

I'm sure like most, that you will prefer the M&P over the rest of the firearms you just tried. Every other LEO that I've ever talked to about their M&Ps say the same thing... The M&P improves their qual scores every time. I can't remember meeting a cop who regretted the move to an M&P over their previous Glocks, Barettas or Sigs.

Smith & Wesson has won more than 370 new LE department "issue" contracts since the M&P was introduced in 2006. These huge gains have come mainly at the expense of Glock and Sig... Springfield's XD does not have any "issue" contracts to lose.
    "Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."

Center of Mass is good enough to get the job done. As long as you can do that and carry the gun comfortable go for!
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Links