Had a failure to chamber today at the range...

This is a discussion on Had a failure to chamber today at the range... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Fellow DCers, Today I went to the range with my G30SF and fired 150 rounds of various ammo. With a magazine of Blazer Brass I ...

Thread: Had a failure to chamber today at the range...

Fellow DCers,

Today I went to the range with my G30SF and fired 150 rounds of various ammo. With a magazine of Blazer Brass I had one round that made the slide stop just before chambering the next round. I racked the slide and it chambered just fine.

I have 19 lb. springs on my gun so I suspect it was just a weak load that failed to get the slide back enough for it to have the necessary force to chamber the next round. Since the 19# spring is a bit heavier, it will offer more resistance to the round's recoil.

Have any of you had one of these?

This is the only issue I have had with my gun in about 1,250 rounds so I am not sweating it too much. I also took the Pearce extensions off all my mags because I don't trust them...
    G21SF, G30, G36, Ruger SP101 DAO, S&W 642

Some years back, I got a great deal on some lead-free Blazer and bought a case of the stuff. I had the same problem frequently with an older G19 and a 228 with that ammo. Everything else worked 100. If it happens again, try switching ammo.

Target ammo is generally loaded lighter than SD ammo that is why there are different weights of recoil springs and a 19# spring is fairly heavy so I think you answered your own problem
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Fayetteville, AR
    Factory rated recoil springs for the G30 are rated at 17lbs, so if you have a 19#, you're already two over. While I am a big fan of full length steel guide rods with captive or non-captive springs in my Glocks, I've always remained with the stock rating on the recoil springs whether flat or round. I guess I just depend too much on the engineers knowing what they are doing since they make the big bucks. Other possibilities for jams and miss-feeds at the range other than the ocassional sub-standard cartridge can include shooter fatigue. Glock may claim to be perfection, but I don't know of anything that's infallible when the human factor is thrown in or other than factory parts are installed. I'm just sayin'.

1 feed problem in 1250 rounds? So whats the problem? Autos are going to have a problem every now and then, hence the training to deal with problems. I hope you took the chance to practice getting your weapon back in service instead of freaking out over one misfeed.

Upstate SC
    Probably wouldn't hurt to polish the feed ramp as well.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links