Which Glock to get?

Which Glock to get?

This is a discussion on Which Glock to get? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am interested in possibly switching to a Glock. I am thinking either the 23/27 or the 19/26. Here are the pros and cons as ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Glock to get?

Which Glock to get?

I am interested in possibly switching to a Glock. I am thinking either the 23/27 or the 19/26. Here are the pros and cons as I see them.
    Note: I'm a .45 guy, but I have small hands and stubby fingers, and I don't think the .45 Glock will fit my hands.

G19/26
    - Already own (but don't carry) a 9mm
    - More rounds/more manageable recoil
    - 9mm more widely proliferated

G23/27
    - G27 can be converted to 9mm with a conversion barrel. (Can the 23?)
    - More recoil (Don't know how hard the 23/27 is to shoot).
    - Requires another caliber to be added to the logistics train

Bottom line: I'm leaning toward the 23/27 with a 9mm conversion barrel. This would give maximum versatility. What kind of parts would I need to convert from .40 to 9mm?

Comments? Thanks in advance.
    Herk

PS--Before anybody tells me to use the "Search" function, I found these threads, but they're locked. http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...k-27-help.html
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...lock-27-a.html
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

if i was you i would go with the 27, honestly i didnt notice much of a difference in kick when i shot the 26 vs the 27. i have no clue wht you need as far as the conversion goes, so i cant help ya there, but im sure someone who reads this will. lol.

get the 19...cheaper ammo, higher capacity, more manageable, etc.

I carry a 23 at work and a 19 the rest of the time and much prefer the 19.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

VIP Member
    I's stay with the 9mm. I have a G19 and think it is about the best compromise between carry size and capacity. It's one of my favorites.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Have you looked at the Glock 21/30sf? They have made the grip smaller for those without large hands. I have the Glock 30 (not sf) and LOVE it.
    Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I have both the 23/27 and 19/26. The 9mms are MUCH easier to shoot, holds more ammo, ammo is cheaper, etc. I wouldn't go putting a conversion barrel in.

My opinion is to go with the 9mm choice.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    I's stay with the 9mm. I have a G19 and think it is about the best compromise between carry size and capacity. It's one of my favorites.
    I figure I'd just be telling you the same thing. I depend just as much on my G27, but I must say, the G19 is my favorite as well.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    I only have the 9mm variants, 17, 19 & 26. Of these, my preference is the 19.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    I love my G23 for CC but I am more accustomed to the .40
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

I have a 23 and love it...that being said I think the 19 is the most versatile and biggest value of all the Glock packages.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I hated my Glock 27 and don't miss it one bit after I sold it. I had more trouble with followup shots in .40 than any other pistol I own. I'm more comfortable shooting .357 mags out of a 11 oz revolver than shooting the 27.

With that said, I'd recommend sticking with the 9mm options.
    Wreck'em Tech! Go Red Raiders!

I have the Signess!

Sig Sauer P225 Montage Suisse / Sig Sauer P238 / Sig Sauer P226 9mm CPO / S&W M&P9c

19/26... if you are choosing which go with the Glock 19... big enough to be a great range gun, but still small enough to carry... all that said, I do love my Glock 26... it's a great size, very light, but I shoot it VERY well...

It's more about shoot placement than it is about power... it will be easier to shoot and follow-up with a second and possible third shoot with a 9mm handgun.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

I alternate carry my G-36 & G-27. Love them both and they are both quite comfortable to carry. For the G-27, I have LWD 9mm & .357 SIG conversion barrels; both of which function flawlessly. Although I purchased 9mm & .357 SIG magazines in addition to the conversion barrels, I have been told that the 27's .40 S&W magazines would have worked just fine. Bottom line, on top of the purchase price of my original G-27, I have invested an additional $260 in conversion barrels & mags, I have three subcompact Glocks in my G-27 and with my G-36, I have four subcompacts all of which are highly reliable carry weapons. I am hoping to add a G-21SF to my collection in the near future. budsgunshop.com is asking $598.00 delivered for one and I am trying very hard to fight the urge. Good luck with your decision.
    ... whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one. (Luke 22:36b NASB)
    FN Herstal FNP-9, FNP-357, Kahr TP45
    Ruger LCP, S&W 22a
    http://revderb.blogspot.com

I own/carry the G22. But if I was to get a 9MM it would be the G19.

Hope that helps.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

I'm a huge fan of the Glocks and own a 23 myself--it sure is a fine firearm.

IMO the negligible size difference is worth the extra rounds in the mag between the compact and subcompact. If you're sticking with a 9mm Glock, go with the 19--but I don't see any reason to convert a .40 to a 9mm, just get one for the caliber you're looking for.
    CZ P-06
    Glock 23 OD with CT laser
    S&W 642

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links