New gun?

This is a discussion on New gun? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by SIXTO There are better choices IMO. Dont fall for marketing hype. Yup....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New gun?

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    There are better choices IMO. Dont fall for marketing hype.
    Yup.

2. Remove Ads

That G30 SF is a dandy carry weapon.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    I handled a 220 over the weekend, a full size one. It was nice, but my finger is just a tad short - I could only get the pad to the trigger. Are the sub compact and compact versions of the 220, do they have a shorter trigger reach?
    There is a P220 Carry that has the same frame with a shorter slide, and a smaller P220 Compact; I've heard mixed things about the Compact, though.

As for the regular P220 there is a drop-in replacement called a "short trigger" that makes it a little easier to get around on the trigger for DA shots (note this is just a slimmed down trigger; it does nothing to the travel or reset length). There are also SIG factory slim grips for the P220 that make it a little friendlier to the smaller hand.

You could also look at the SAO version of the P220; if you don't have to shoot double-action, then the DA trigger length won't be a problem.

And for polymer, there is the P250 now (soon?---it was at SHOT) available in .45 ACP.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

XD45c

I keep an XD45c with Tru Glo TFO's, and 13 rounds of Corbon DXP in my nightstand to greet intruders. Love the 45, but my favorite is the XDm 40 caliber which I find to be incredibly accurate.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    There are better choices IMO. Dont fall for marketing hype.
    Come on don't let the Glockheads fill your head full of BS. The XD series including the XD45 are the best plastic framed guns on the market bar none.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by gglass View Post
    The M&P line is far superior to the XD. Since the M&P was introduced in 2006, it has become the "issue" weapon for more than 370 LE departments. Those new contracts have come primarily at the expense of Glock and Sig Sauer... Sorry Springfield, the XD has no contracts to lose.

On a positive note... You would really be helping the Croatian economy if you buy an XD.
    Well part of that is because S&W was willing to do a gun for a gun trade. That's a big deal to PD's. Springfield doesn't do that. One reason they're not issued weapons. GLOCK does the same thing. They were really big in doing that and was how they became the most carried weapon by police in America.

I have an XD40 which has been awesome. I haven't cleaned it regularly and it will keep firing anything I give it. They are thick though and if I was going to get a .45 I would probably go the 1911 route because they can make anybody look like a good shooter!
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

I'd get the Glock-36 before I'd get the XD...OMO
    Proven dependability means a lot to me.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I had a XD45 compact and I traded it in for a Colt Commander 1911. The only XD that I like is the XD40 service model other than that I say go with a glock, sig, or a good 1911 from colt, springfield armory, or kimber.
    "The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary.
    Men alone are quite capable of every wickedness."

-Joseph Conrad-

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    Come on don't let the Glockheads fill your head full of BS. The XD series including the XD45 are the best plastic framed guns on the market bar none.

Come on PIRATE, everyone knows the best polymer framed pistol is an H&K. Superior quality and dependability.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Well the HK is resonably priced for just about everybody..oh wait no theyre not... and the XD is a juggernnaut in the LE community for duty weapons. Oh wait no theyre not either. Both of those are GLOCK.

Ya know I am not usually a GLOCK Superhero, but it seems like everybody likes to beat up on the Glocks when they are a fan of Brand X....but I never see any of the GLOCK owners bashing the other owners or their brands. I guess when you are the leader in the field there will always be opponents trying to knock you down. The GLOCK got it right the first time and everybody is just trying to catch up and make theirs like it.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    Because I mentioned a Glock as an alternative, I'm now a Glockhead? What about the other brands I mentioned?
    "Just blame Sixto"

I spent 6 months shooting and researching different 45's to use as my EDC. I ended my search with a Kimber Ultra Carry II CDP. It's 28oz. Shoots better than I do, and is small enough to carry in all but the hottest of Months. It is expensive, but it is worth it to me. Best of luck in you search.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    Well the HK is resonably priced for just about everybody..oh wait no theyre not... and the XD is a juggernnaut in the LE community for duty weapons. Oh wait no theyre not either. Both of those are GLOCK.

Ya know I am not usually a GLOCK Superhero, but it seems like everybody likes to beat up on the Glocks when they are a fan of Brand X....but I never see any of the GLOCK owners bashing the other owners or their brands. I guess when you are the leader in the field there will always be opponents trying to knock you down. The GLOCK got it right the first time and everybody is just trying to catch up and make theirs like it.
    I understand that H&K is not the cheapest (least expensive) of the polymer framed pistols, but that's not what I was claiming. H&K is also not my favorite brand, but of the poymer framed guns, I have found it to be the most comfotable, most dependable, and best overall value. I realize that these are my opinions, but that's just what your statement about Glock being the best is also. I am not a Glock hater, they do feel like a brick in my hand and I HATE a trigger safety, but they are a quality made gun. Just my 2 cents.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links